Would you buy a Lab Created Diamond?

No. I prefer to avoid diamonds. They’re not really valuable. You can quickly see this by looking at the second hand market. Stick with gems that are actually rare. This way if you do get divorced, the ring will be worth something.

A niece is talking about getting engaged. They are considering a lab created diamond. Would you buy one or go with a real? Lab diamonds are about half the price of a real or less.
My daughter just got engaged and chose a lab created one because it’s sustainably create, doesn’t support the blood diamond industry and it’s just as pretty. My husband got me a sapphire because I think diamonds are plain and boring and jus something diamond sellers want us to buy. If she wants to go that rout I think it’s perfectly fine.

Buying a diamond (real or manmade) is not an investment where you expect it to appreciate in value and eventually be worth more then you paid for it. Just try to sell your ring to a jewelry store and you will find that are worthy virtually nothing. The only ongoing value is in the gold/silver/platinum the band is made from. You mostly buy diamond rings/jewelry to wear/enjoy, not because you think you are going to make a profit from it.

I agree as others have mentioned, the monopoly around mined diamonds has been built up over the years and is partly clever marketing. Particularly for a couple just starting out in life, they probably have way better things to spend their money on then a mined diamond. No one you show it to will know any difference and there is no need to tell anyone which type of diamond it is.

Last edited:

mine is lab created and i love it. I did not want to spend a ton of money on something that I would be scared to wear. No one knows any different and nor do I care if they did!

Yup, I absolutely would do a lab created diamond. I don't understand why people would spend the crazy amounts they do on the "real" thing. There are much better ways to use that money in my eyes.

But to each his own.

I just learned something. Had never heard of lab created diamonds. I will google now. I have small diamond stud earrings. I have wanted new ones someday. Not much bigger. I wear them daily. But I have come close to losing the ones I have a few times. Are they sold in jewelry stores also? Going to do some investigating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter