Wow...Outrage over Stroller Rental Price Increase...What's that About?

I wasn't going to buy a new stroller for my 4 yo dd. But with price increase there is no way we are renting. I was almost ready to buy a $99 maclaren, something dh should never know - he doesn't think we need one but it sure comes in handy to hold a tired kid or all the "stuff" you accumulate in a day. DD is tall and needed a larger stroller and only maclaren seemed right for her but today, after hours of research and shopping around I found the perfect stroller and it was only $39.99 :cool1: ! So I thought I would share it with you all.

Evenlfo XSport™ Plus Stroller

http://www.evenflo.com/Homepage/ProductList/tabid/203/display/features/navid/1/Default.aspx

I know that what I'm going to say will be very unpopular, BUT...

Disney, like every other business AND family, is confronting rising food, gasoline, and operating costs. How can we expect them NOT to raise some prices on some things when our grocery stores do, our utility companies do, and our gasoline marts do? How else can you expect Disney to respond, except as we do...pay what the price is in this new economic landscape and then figure how to make ends meet. Disney is a business, not a nonprofit organization, and if that means that the customer has to pay a bit more for a stroller or lose out on a dessert on the Dining Plan, that is what it means. And while it is perhaps tempting to make these sweeping condemnations of Disney's so-called greed or to stridently claim that no one will rent a stroller from Disney again or use the Disney Dining Plan again unless it's free, it is likely more appropriate (and magical) to think how lucky we are that we still even get to think about, plan for, and visit Disney in these increasingly difficult economic times.

*And, if that's not enough, just pop over to the resort board and see how many people are enjoying bounceback offers, modifying reservations with 40% off pin codes, and/or anticipating free dining! So Disney isn't all bad! :flower3:

I agree with you.

I'm not going to go through this thread and read 17 pages of people who are up in arms over Disney (a commercial business) raising prices on a high-demand item. It's not a charity, people. And Disney knows in the end you will still go there. They can get away with just about anything and all of you Disney addicts (and you're addicts if you're here on a Disney forum) will keep coming back no matter what they do.

It's a BUSINESS and it's AMERICA. With all due respect, "deal with it."

I'm not going to go through this thread and read 17 pages of people who are up in arms over Disney (a commercial business) raising prices on a high-demand item. It's not a charity, people. And Disney knows in the end you will still go there. They can get away with just about anything and all of you Disney addicts (and you're addicts if you're here on a Disney forum) will keep coming back no matter what they do.

Want a cookie? :flower3:

I wasn't going to buy a new stroller for my 4 yo dd. But with price increase there is no way we are renting. I was almost ready to buy a $99 maclaren, something dh should never know - he doesn't think we need one but it sure comes in handy to hold a tired kid or all the "stuff" you accumulate in a day. DD is tall and needed a larger stroller and only maclaren seemed right for her but today, after hours of research and shopping around I found the perfect stroller and it was only $39.99 :cool1: ! So I thought I would share it with you all.

Evenlfo XSport™ Plus Stroller

http://www.evenflo.com/Homepage/ProductList/tabid/203/display/features/navid/1/Default.aspx

I got one last week that look just like that, but it is not Evenflo, I got it at ToysRus for 19.99 :thumbsup2

I And Disney knows in the end you will still go there. They can get away with just about anything and all of you Disney addicts (and you're addicts if you're here on a Disney forum) will keep coming back no matter what they do.

Disney "thinks" you will still go there. I disagree with you. Even Disney addicts have their limits. Most people keep going back because Disney gives them that magical feeling. Their recent price hikes on buffets, strollers, and all the party days they are selling is just chipping away at the magical feelings we all have for them. That, doubled with the economic issues we're facing, is going to bite them in the rear end if they don't watch out. There are other vacation options for people and they certainly don't have the market cornered. The thing they used to have that others didn't was making guests feel special. I don't think anyone has an issue with them raising prices, it's how they are going about it that bugs me.

Something tells me we'll be seeing a lot more stroller swaps on the Budget Board!!!

I won't disagree with you. All of us "Disney Addicts" probably will keep going back...for now. Some will just bite the bullet and rent the stroller, some will bring their own or rent from an off site company. So no, I don't think this will drive away the addicts, but Disney thrives on repeat business and I do think there are going to be more and more people who go once and decide not to go back because it's just gotten too expensive. And I don't think they can get away with whatever they want, even us addicts have our limits. I think that is part of the reason why people are so upset. If they have the nerve to raise stroller prices by 72% in once case, what's next? Will they think they can get away with raising ticket prices by 50%? I don't know what I would do if they did that. Would I still go? I have to say probably not. At some point you have to say enough is enough.

I won't disagree with you. All of us "Disney Addicts" probably will keep going back...for now. Some will just bite the bullet and rent the stroller, some will bring their own or rent from an off site company. So no, I don't think this will drive away the addicts, but Disney thrives on repeat business and I do think there are going to be more and more people who go once and decide not to go back because it's just gotten too expensive. And I don't think they can get away with whatever they want, even us addicts have our limits. I think that is part of the reason why people are so upset. If they have the nerve to raise stroller prices by 72% in once case, what's next? Will they think they can get away with raising ticket prices by 50%? I don't know what I would do if they did that. Would I still go? I have to say probably not. At some point you have to say enough is enough.

Well said.

There is a point for most when enough is enough and I believe Universal will pick up some of the mouses business.

why are people so opposed to bringing their own? :confused3 We bring 2. And we fly.

why are people so opposed to bringing their own? :confused3 We bring 2. And we fly.

My opposition is that we no longer own a stroller and have never flown as a family -- especially with a stroller.

I'm not saying we WON'T buy and fly OR rent @ the park. It has just thrown a wrench in our plans. And 50-70%?!?!

Ugh.

We have never rented strollers from Disney in past. I doubt we will in the future. We find it more convenient to have a stroller available beyond the parks such as the airport, resort, etc.

If you want to send e-mail, feel free. However, the real way to vote is with your dollars. WDW is a business. WDW is not the place to go if you are wanting cheap anything....overpriced McDonald's french fries to parking. If the product stops selling, Disney will cut the price or exit that particular business.

I am just not sure we should be faulting Disney running WDW like a business. I don't hear anyone complaining about "free dining" or other discounts. Why is it fair that the person in the hotel room next to you paid half as much or twice as much, depending what credit card they have or what month they booked or what code was available to them?

WDW is not a national park. It was built to generate return for the stock holders. They are held accountable every quarter for results. Do I like when Disney "sticks it" to me, no? If I don't like something, I just choose not to buy it. If there is enough people that feel the same way, Disney will change because it is not profitable.

We have never rented strollers from Disney in past. I doubt we will in the future. We find it more convenient to have a stroller available beyond the parks such as the airport, resort, etc.

If you want to send e-mail, feel free. However, the real way to vote is with your dollars. WDW is a business. WDW is not the place to go if you are wanting cheap anything....overpriced McDonald's french fries to parking. If the product stops selling, Disney will cut the price or exit that particular business.

I am just not sure we should be faulting Disney running WDW like a business. I don't hear anyone complaining about "free dining" or other discounts. Why is it fair that the person in the hotel room next to you paid half as much or twice as much, depending what credit card they have or what month they booked or what code was available to them?

WDW is not a national park. It was built to generate return for the stock holders. They are held accountable every quarter for results. Do I like when Disney "sticks it" to me, no? If I don't like something, I just choose not to buy it. If there is enough people that feel the same way, Disney will change because it is not profitable.

Excellent post -- I agree with it completely!!!

I STRONGLY agree wtih Garrett - on the point of not renting as a method for disney to 'hear your voice'. See my previous post for the same line of thought. Well Put !! Complaining *might* affect change. Not purchasing en masse...will *more likely* affect change. Again - my boycott will start on my november trip....but by then Im sure disney will see how dramatically or not at all that sales are affected.

UNLESS Of course the ultimate motive of Disney is to reduce the *number* of strollers in the parks. :rolleyes: If so, then the price will remain inflated, and they will have accomplished their goal which I guess in this case would not be to raise a profit, but instead to relieve congestion.

Agreed, but as I've said before, I'm upset about the increase and I no longer need a stroller in the parks anymore. If Disney has the nerve to increase the price of strollers by such an outrageous amount, what's next? :confused3
I think at some point you have to let Disney know when you feel they have gone too far...whether it effects you directly or not. They raised the rental by 72% in one case, so if that goes by without anyone saying anything, maybe they will think "Gee, that went over okay, let's raise ticket prices by 50%." Yes, they could, and yes, I could just choose not to go to Disney if I don't like it, but I don't want that to happen. I feel Disney is chipping away at it's key demographic and it's most loyal fan base and I don't think there is anything wrong with letting them know that.

Not to beat what little is left of this equine carcass, but here is the email that I received back today from Disney in response to my April 4 email:

Dear [checkwriter],

Thank you for contacting us.

From time to time, we evaluate our existing pricing structures and make
adjustments. Although we regret your disappointment with the recent
price increase for our stroller and ECV (electronic convenience vehicle)
rentals, we want to assure you that your remarks have been shared with
the appropriate individuals.

Our guests' impressions are very important to us, and we appreciate the
time you took to share your thoughts. We look forward to future
opportunities to entertain you.

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort

/ww

Not to beat what little is left of this equine carcass, but here is the email that I received back today from Disney in response to my April 4 email:

Dear [checkwriter],

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort

/ww

I recieved the same response as well which is no surprise.

Dear [checkwriter],

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort

/ww

LOL, I'm guessing this is a totally canned response, as this morning, I received the EXACT same thing in response to my message. :rolleyes1

We just got our DVC on Friday, and my wife read that stroller rental was free if you have the Disney Visa Card.

I hope they lower the rates for everyone else.

If this is wrong, then please someone correct me.

Is this true? I have a disney visa but I have never had a free stroller. Tell me more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter