Wow those room prices at WDW!!!

and now, finally, the bounceback rate, which is really excellent.
The AP rate beat it for the reservations that have come up so far this year (granted, value and mods only).

Still, was very nice to see it offered again late last year.

The AP rate beat it for the reservations that have come up so far this year (granted, value and mods only).

Still, was very nice to see it offered again late last year.
That's interesting. We have a much better bounceback rate at POFQ for May than the AP rate. Maybe this is because we booked it in December?

It's crazy.

$50k down + $2.5k/yr seems like a better deal to me than $10k for a week at Aulani... Lol both are nuts. (Round numbers)

The thing for us is, we would *NeVER* go even at discounted cash rates. DVC more or less forces vacations on us ... which for a tightwad like me is really a good thing 😄

It's crazy.

$50k down + $2.5k/yr seems like a better deal to me than $10k for a week at Aulani... Lol both are nuts. (Round numbers)

The thing for us is, we would *NeVER* go even at discounted cash rates. DVC more or less forces vacations on us ... which for a tightwad like me is really a good thing 😄
Right. We bought almost 30 years ago because we wanted to be on the hook to take some time off from our pressure filled jobs.

People told us we'd be sorry. And we never have been.

BEST PURCHASE EVER.

Yes the days of All Star Resorts for 59.00 a night are gone, never mind the prices of DVC Resorts....BWV for a 1BR in September goes for like 600.00 a night... Glad we bought into DVC in 1996 for 54.00 a point at OKW !!!

When we bought in 2010, I tracked "value per point" (VPP) which I defined as the cost of the room paying in cash divided by the number of DVC points needed to book it. Back then, 40% discounts were common so I calculated our stays with 40% off rack rates. My studio stays 2010-2013 had VPP in the range of 15-20 [$/p]. I think the market rate for point rental was about 12.
Now that discounts are much less I estimate VPP around 25-30 now, but we do 1 bedrooms which are much less efficient than studios. Studios are so valuable when looking at VPP.

I like looking at VPP because it factors in the number of points needed for each room, which makes comparing the different resorts and room types a bit easier.

So with the Disney hotel prices today, I'm glad to have my DVC points and avoid that cost when checking out. I do wonder in 5 to 10 years time what those prices will be and how folks will afford it. WDW studios for $600/nt? Disneyland studios for $1000/nt? Seems crazy but I think we'll see it in that time frame.

I am going week before Easter this year and have been pricing extra nights in studios while there was availability to price these nights for the last couple of months.

$600 a night in a studio at various DVC resorts was here at WDW for this week, easily. $1095 before taxes was here in a resort studio at VGF. The VGF studio is what I was trying to match a second room to on cash.

I decided to check Polynesian just now. On 3/26/24 a Deluxe Studio Lake View is $1211 before taxes. Checking Club level Resort View room with UP TO 35% AP rate = $1097.10 before tax with it's regular room rate for that night = $1223 before tax.

Went back to check for an AP rate on the villa and the room was gone. I'll keep watching it as 'I' may have been holding the inventory.

Fortunately for me I picked up several nights in an extra room on points. Still needed another. Still trying but have offsite backup.

We were roped into a timeshare spiel at the Sheraton Vistana Village and all I told the person when they showed us the price, no thanks I will just buy more DVC points! Their rooms were not appealing st all.
We endured that same schpiel to take advantage of an extra 4nights in Orlando.
It was all: "nicey-nicey" - you guys are a great couple, we have so much to offer here, we would love to have you as members - until I said "Nah - I think adding on DVC points would be a much better bargain".
Then they went all Willy Wonka "You get NOTHING, Good Day Sir" and "Please return that unopened Coke to the mini-fridge"! :P :P

Last edited:
Then they went all Willy Wonka "You get NOTHING, Good Day Sir" and "Please return that unopened Coke to the mini-fridge"! :P :P
I sometimes wonder if they train people on how to perfect the passive-aggressive hurt feelings, and if it ever actually works. Like, do people feel so bad for wasting this poor guy's time that they turn around and sign a 5-figure contract out of guilt???

I “maintain” a spreadsheet I used to originally justify buying into DVC. As part of the justification, I enter what the room cost would have been for the trips we’ve booked. Suffice it to say that room rates have gone up and have shaved a year or two off our break even point. So now we only consider annual dues as the cost of our stays.

Not DVC owners but another timeshare (gifted 25+ years ago with MF ~$800/year) traded into SSR for spring break next week for 1 bed villa. Friends were thinking of joining us for a night or two but cash price for our villa was like >$900/night when they looked! Do people actually pay those cash prices? We have another week we traded into OKW for early June for 1 bedroom, and will probably go for week before as well as I have free accommodation certificate and can get Sheraton Vistana villages 2 bedroom for $329.
Makes me wish waaay back when was DCP in 1991 and they offered cast member discount for the first Dvc. Was something like $50? Bucks a month? Too expensive tho for college kid :(
Yes, they do. I remember a trip a decade or more ago where we were staying in a Jambo house 1 BR value over Christmas and New Years. Because of now the reservation was I had to go down to the front desk ti check out and then check back into our room. While I was waiting another guest was at the front desk asking if any rooms were available. He was quoted $800 per night for a room in Kidani. Wow!

I “maintain” a spreadsheet I used to originally justify buying into DVC. As part of the justification, I enter what the room cost would have been for the trips we’ve booked. Suffice it to say that room rates have gone up and have shaved a year or two off our break even point. So now we only consider annual dues as the cost of our stays.
We have just reached that point, as well. Even with addonitis during COVID (Lower Buy-In prices accelerated the "break-even" period). Based on my crude assessment, and my current annual dues, I'm averaging a cost of $140/Night (combination of mostly studios but occasionally a 1BR, and spread between HHI/BCV/BWV/AKV/SSR). I don't know what a good weighted average would be to book those rooms for cash, but I know that it will much greater than $140.
We could not afford to stay on WDW property for 6-9 weeks per year, if we had to pay prevailing room rates at those resorts.

Last edited:
We stay at hotels that are $250-350 when we are on vacations. If I didn’t have Dvc, I wouldn’t pay cash rates bc I’m too economical.

So not sure if Dvc has actually “saved” me money.

Years ago I would keep track of the cash rate compared to our purchase + maintenance cost, I stopped doing that about eight years ago.
We never would have paid the cash rate to stay on property, if anything we would have not gone or stayed at either the value resorts or off property somewhere.
Just for giggles after reading this thread, I decided to look up the cash rates for the rooms we have booked for NYE. For the combination of rooms we have booked, the cash rate would be over $30k. I couldn't believe it. Asked our guests to guess at the costs, and they were so far off, guessing in the $1000-1500 range for a week in studios, $1500 for a 2 bedroom, $3000 for a grand villa.
Since our contracts have long been paid for, I was just counting the maintenance for the cost, which makes this planned trip feel like an absolute bargain.

Pre-DVC, Hotel's went from the cheapest part of the vacation to the more expensive part of the vacation but mainly because we no longer stayed in Values or Moderates. I just like being closer and getting around by walking or the monorail. Before we joined DVC we often stayed at Yacht and Beach Club. We joined DVC to hold the room cost to $300/n. Two years ago I was cancelling our vacation and ended up cancelling my BIL's room too (they said it was because they were linked). Anyway I booked a room for him at the Beach at $658/n. That was an eye-opener.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter