WWYD: Rent/park at port or Rent/get private shuttle

DisneYE

DIS Veteran
Interested in getting your opinions.

Sailing end of this month out of PC.
11-night + 3 days prior for parks.
4 of us.

Was planning on renting a car for the 3 days, then getting a private shuttle like Happy Limo or similar to pick us up at hotel the day of sailing and driving us to airport at the end of the cruise - We get to fly back home the same day the cruise ends (4 hour window)

But I was thinking of renting a car for 14 days, and parking at the port.

Cost difference is about $300 more for renting 14 days and park at port vs private shuttle

What would you do?
What is more convenient? What brings more peace of mind?

ETA: Not interested in doing DCL transfer anymore. After doing it 8 times, I'm sick of waiting at the airport to get into a bus. It's at least 30 minutes, sometimes over an hour. Plus I'm tired of dealing with screaming kids in the bus. Plus our DD13 has grown out of watching the Disney entertainment shown on the screens. So that's not an option.

TIA

Have you priced out a car rental where the rental ends in Port Canaveral - then either a car rental back to MCO, or a shuttle back to MCO?

Have you priced out a car rental where the rental ends in Port Canaveral - then either a car rental back to MCO, or a shuttle back to MCO?

I did. And its obviously cheaper.
But I've read on here that sometimes the shuttle to get to the port takes time as there's lots of ppl waiting for it.
I'm looking for convenience and peace of mind. Never used the private shuttles or parked at the port so I'm wondering..

We rent and park it until after the cruise. It's convenient and keeps us independent.

Keep watching the prices for rentals. There are good bargains to be had even for 14 days, but you have to be checking at least twice a day. Good bargains are often between 3 months and 3 weeks before your trip.

But I've read on here that sometimes the shuttle to get to the port takes time as there's lots of ppl waiting for it.
I'm looking for convenience and peace of mind. Never used the private shuttles or parked at the port so I'm wondering..

Ah, if convenience and peace of mind are the major issue then I would say your option of parking a rented car for 11 nights is likely the best option. We didn't wait long at all for our shuttle from Budget to port, but I have read others say that Budget is the worst, so... I guess YMMV.

That being said, I think that if you're using a private/semi-private service like Happy Limo from hotel to PC, then PC to airport, and you're still saving $300 - that comes with significant convenience as well. For one thing you don't have to go through the car return process at MCO.

I'd lean slightly toward that option, rather than parking a car for 11 nights, because in your case you're flying out right away.

Ah, if convenience and peace of mind are the major issue then I would say your option of parking a rented car for 11 nights is likely the best option. We didn't wait long at all for our shuttle from Budget to port, but I have read others say that Budget is the worst, so... I guess YMMV.

That being said, I think that if you're using a private/semi-private service like Happy Limo from hotel to PC, then PC to airport, and you're still saving $300 - that comes with significant convenience as well. For one thing you don't have to go through the car return process at MCO.

I'd lean slightly toward that option, rather than parking a car for 11 nights, because in your case you're flying out right away.

Yeah that's the option I'm leaning towards. The $300 savings is attractive enough that I might end up going with happy limo...
thanks for the response.

Interested in getting your opinions.

Sailing end of this month out of PC.
11-night + 3 days prior for parks.
4 of us.

Was planning on renting a car for the 3 days, then getting a private shuttle like Happy Limo or similar to pick us up at hotel the day of sailing and driving us to airport at the end of the cruise - We get to fly back home the same day the cruise ends (4 hour window)

But I was thinking of renting a car for 14 days, and parking at the port.

Cost difference is about $300 more for renting 14 days and park at port vs private shuttle

What would you do?
What is more convenient? What brings more peace of mind?

ETA: Not interested in doing DCL transfer anymore. After doing it 8 times, I'm sick of waiting at the airport to get into a bus. It's at least 30 minutes, sometimes over an hour. Plus I'm tired of dealing with screaming kids in the bus. Plus our DD13 has grown out of watching the Disney entertainment shown on the screens. So that's not an option.

TIA

I've never done anything like this (we always drive and park our own car at PC), so maybe my idea is stupid - but if the shuttle from the car rental place to the port is slow, could you instead Lyft/Uber from the rental return place to the port?

We rented and drove to PC on our last cruise and dropped off that morning. It took forever to get back with the shuttle from the rental company (well over an hour). I would take a private transport the next time.

I have never had that issue. The shuttles have always been right there whenever I got off the ship.

I spent about $200 more to rent and park at the port for the week on our last cruise. I travel for business and really dislike shuttles, especially when hauling luggage and herding the family. I also hate not knowing if the shuttles will be timely, too crowded, or have long waits. I want travel to be as painless as possible when traveling for pleasure. I have also used Happy Limo. It was great service, but then you have an hour of making conversation with a stranger, only being able to make one quick stop (which they don't love if they have another pickup scheduled), and having to guess what time you want them to pick you up when disembarking. These aren't a huge deal and I would use Happy Limo again if I was on a tighter budget. But I loved the convenience of going to port exactly when we were ready, parking, and walking on the ship. When we disembarked, we were in our car and on our way within minutes, with complete control over where we were headed before our flights. I really liked the freedom and convenience and would do it again.

Last edited:
I spent about $200 more to rent and park at the port for the week on our last cruise. I travel for business and really dislike shuttles, especially when hauling lugging and herding the family. I also hate not knowing if the shuttles will be timely, too crowded, or have long waits. I want travel to be as painless as possible when traveling for pleasure. I have also used Happy Limo. It was great service, but then you have an hour of making conversation with a stranger, only being able to make one quick stop (which they don't love if they have another pickup scheduled), and having to guess what time you want them to pick you up when disembarking. These aren't a huge deal and I would use Happy Limo again if I was on a tighter budget. But I loved the convenience of going to port exactly when we were ready, parking, and walking on the ship. When we disembarked, we were in our car and on our way within minutes, with complete control over where we were headed before our flights. I really liked the freedom and convenience and would do it again.

Yeah this. You're like my soulmate on this regard lol.
I also hate shuttles, making small talk with drivers, etc. I like having control of things, driving, parking, scheduling on my terms.
So, yeah, its a conundrum.

I have never had that issue. The shuttles have always been right there whenever I got off the ship.

I've read horror stories about shuttles being a PITA.
The poster above you said he waiting for an hour to get a shuttle to port. That's precisely what I'm terrified of.

I've done both ways multiple times and my 2 cents if just driving back to the airport right after the cruise is do a one-way prior dropping all and luggage at the cruise terminal before returning/dropping the rental off. Single riders from the rental companies without luggage are easier to accommodate in the overcrowded shuttles (just let the person managing riders know such). I'd then do private car from after the cruise to the airport. This may provide even more savings than a private car both ways as you avoid 11 additional days of rental, parking and the private car out to the terminal.

I've read horror stories about shuttles being a PITA.
The poster above you said he waiting for an hour to get a shuttle to port. That's precisely what I'm terrified of.
I know. My point for posting was just that not every shuttle experience has to be a horror story. :)

@DisneYE What we've started doing is Happy Limo to the airport (cheaper and more convenient for us) and then Disney Shuttle from the ship to the airport. Using the shuttle to the airport means Disney handles the bags and I don't have stress about what time we get off the ship.

I'm with you... never using DCL buses to the ship again....

@DisneYE What we've started doing is Happy Limo to the airport (cheaper and more convenient for us) and then Disney Shuttle from the ship to the airport. Using the shuttle to the airport means Disney handles the bags and I don't have stress about what time we get off the ship.

I'm with you... never using DCL buses to the ship again....

Thanks.
That's a good idea too, if I wasn't so sick of DCL buses... especially on the way back, kids are tired, sad, screaming, parents are grumpy (me as well) due to stress etc , so I'd rather avoid it.

I heard Happy limo waits for you outside once you disembark. is that the case? Why wouldn't you rather take them instead of DCL on the way back?

We always rent and park at the port. We usually have a flight out around 1:00 so we leisurely get off the ship and drive to Grills for breakfast before heading to the airport. It’s our favorite restaurant in that area and we eat there multiple times before the cruise as well. This helps us end our vacation relaxed and without all the rushing!

I spent about $200 more to rent and park at the port for the week on our last cruise. I travel for business and really dislike shuttles, especially when hauling lugging and herding the family. I also hate not knowing if the shuttles will be timely, too crowded, or have long waits. I want travel to be as painless as possible when traveling for pleasure. I have also used Happy Limo. It was great service, but then you have an hour of making conversation with a stranger, only being able to make one quick stop (which they don't love if they have another pickup scheduled), and having to guess what time you want them to pick you up when disembarking. These aren't a huge deal and I would use Happy Limo again if I was on a tighter budget. But I loved the convenience of going to port exactly when we were ready, parking, and walking on the ship. When we disembarked, we were in our car and on our way within minutes, with complete control over where we were headed before our flights. I really liked the freedom and convenience and would do it again.

I have never had a taxi/Uber/Lyft driver who insisted on continuing a conversation if I say I would rather not talk. That can be said politely, and it has always worked.

@DisneYE With HappyLimo you have to tell them what time to meet you. They just don't hang out at Port Canaveral all morning. I hated trying to get the timing right. (How long for breakfast, how long to get thru CBP).

The one nice thing they did do one time for a little extra is drop us at Dis Springs and hold our bags when we had a long wait until our flight.

Its not the company ... its me. I liked not have to stress timing out arrival day (big enough pain as is). Either way, can go wrong with Happy!

FYI make sure that you have them note on your reservation if you want to make a stop before going to the ship. Never had an issue when we let them know and the schedulers add in more time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter