WWYD: Rent/park at port or Rent/get private shuttle

@DisneYE With HappyLimo you have to tell them what time to meet you. They just don't hang out at Port Canaveral all morning. I hated trying to get the timing right. (How long for breakfast, how long to get thru CBP).

The one nice thing they did do one time for a little extra is drop us at Dis Springs and hold our bags when we had a long wait until our flight.

Its not the company ... its me. I liked not have to stress timing out arrival day (big enough pain as is). Either way, can go wrong with Happy!

FYI make sure that you have them note on your reservation if you want to make a stop before going to the ship. Never had an issue when we let them know and the schedulers add in more time!

Thank you for all the replies.
I decided to go with Happy Limo, from hotel to port and back

What is the recommended amount to tip the driver, each way?
its 4 of us and each way is $180

@DisneYE My thing is that I always start at 10% and will move up to 20% depending on service... Does he/she help get all the bags or am I shelping them to the back of the vehicle so they don't have to move. Do they go grab a Skycap at the airport if I want one? Are they accommodating on the stop (you added it to your res right?) or are they pushy and put out by it.

I see OP has made a decision, but for the benefit of anyone else pondering the same question...

We typically rent/return in Port Canaveral and take the shuttle. We have never had any problems, but sometimes there can be a pretty lengthy wait for the shuttle. A happy medium for someone who wants to avoid the wait might be to return the rental car in Port Canaveral on departure, but drop any passengers and luggage at the port first. Much faster and easier to get one individual without bags on the shuttle than an entire family of four with all their luggage. And then maybe opt for the private transfer on the return trip, since there's not really much you can do to mitigate that wait.

When we drop off a car at the port we drop bags and everyone but the driver at the port. Then he goes to rental car place to drop off car. It’s very easy to fit one person with no luggage on a shuttle rather than the whole family. I have everyone’s passports and Che k us on all in. All my husband does is go to supervisor desk to get picture taken and pick up his key to the world. Very easy.

We rent and park it until after the cruise. It's convenient and keeps us independent.

Keep watching the prices for rentals. There are good bargains to be had even for 14 days, but you have to be checking at least twice a day. Good bargains are often between 3 months and 3 weeks before your trip.
When you park at the port, has your car ever been damaged while on your cruise? I’m considering renting a car.

When you park at the port, has your car ever been damaged while on your cruise? I’m considering renting a car.
I've not had my car damaged while on my cruise. I usually park on one of the upper decks where there isn't much traffic anyway. Also consider that most of the cars you park next to likely are either on the same cruise as you OR on the cruise opposite yours. So the number of cars that change places in the parking spaces adjacent to you are a lot lower than you would typically see when you go grocery shopping or to the mall.

We parked a rental twice. No damage. Remember, most of the people parking there are likely on your cruise. It's not like a public lot that people are pulling in and out all the time.

I see OP has made a decision, but for the benefit of anyone else pondering the same question...

We typically rent/return in Port Canaveral and take the shuttle. We have never had any problems, but sometimes there can be a pretty lengthy wait for the shuttle. A happy medium for someone who wants to avoid the wait might be to return the rental car in Port Canaveral on departure, but drop any passengers and luggage at the port first. Much faster and easier to get one individual without bags on the shuttle than an entire family of four with all their luggage. And then maybe opt for the private transfer on the return trip, since there's not really much you can do to mitigate that wait.

I was considering doing this but seeing some comments on here and other threads about potential waits for the shuttle at the car rental's made me decide to go with happy limo. Sure, its about $200 more in total but if that's the cost of reducing my stress to almost zero its totally worth it.
The image of seeing a long line of ppl waiting at the car rental office for the shuttle back to the port makes me anxious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter