WWYD? Wilderness lodge room ‘upgrade’

White Rose

DIS Veteran
We booked a king size bed club level room. We wanted what we booked. I always hoped for upgrades, but this does not feel like one.

please help me come up with more positives for a deluxe club level room. Hubby wants to see if we can decline the upgrade, and even with some disadvantages to me…I kinda want it.

We just got an email letting us know we are upgraded to a deluxe room. ( the email said we are currently booked in a deluxe room floor 1 to 5 we did not book that.)
They are only on floor 1 to 6 at the other end of the hotel from the concierge lounge.
the email was asking what beverages we wanted in the room.
Help me come up with more positives!…or disadvantages too..my hubby piped in.
we are going to MK 2x and AK once before changing hotels.

advantages of the deluxe room
2 rooms…separate living room.
if on floor 1, can come into the resort right to our room

disadvantages:
noise from boats early and late. While I am ok with this hubby is a light sleeper.
no view of anything but trees. but only affects one night. We were hoping to see fireworks when we came back from AK.
farthest away you can be from concierge lounge. This one is big.
there are only 2 of us, so while the space is great, how much are we going to use it…
I have a scooter, so if we are not on the first floor I am severely disadvantaged, I do not see any elevators anywhere near by? This is a concern.

can we even refuse it?

Last edited:
Omg an ECV.

At WL in an ECV you will be disadvantaged not being in the CL section. You will want to be on the *7th* floor near the lounge. It’s actually impossible to get the dang door to the CL/CL room area open while staying on your ECV so having to do that every time you want to visit the club will suck. I’d want to be placed on the 6th floor in the CL section with an ECV personally. You have to get past the gate each time you go to your room but at least not each time you want to swing by the club.

ETA: fixed floor!!

Last edited:
We booked a king size bed club level room. We wanted what we booked. I always hoped for upgrades, but this does not feel like one.

please help me come up with more positives for a deluxe club level room. Hubby wants to see if we can decline the upgrade, and even with some disadvantages to me…I kinda want it.

We just got an email letting us know we are upgraded to a deluxe room. ( the email said we are currently booked in a deluxe room floor 1 to 5 we did not book that.)
They are only on floor 1 to 6 at the other end of the hotel from the concierge lounge.
the email was asking what beverages we wanted in the room.
Help me come up with more positives!…or disadvantages too..my hubby piped in.
we are going to MK 2x and AK once before changing hotels.

disadvantages:
noise from boats early and late. While I am ok with this hubby is a light sleeper.
no view of anything but trees. but only affects one night. We were hoping to see fireworks when we came back from AK.
farthest away you can be from concierge lounge. This one is big.
there are only 2 of us, so while the space is great, how much are we going to use it…
I have a scooter, so if we are not on the first floor I am severely disadvantaged, I do not see any elevators anywhere near by? This is a concern.

can we even refuse it?
I have done that room a few times. It is really nice ! The new rooms refurbished are really good. Yes it is a bit of a walk to the cl lounge however you will be closer to the pool and boat dock! Also the 7th floor cl rooms have an enclosed balcony, the deluxe have varied but felt more roomier plus you have an extra balcony off the bedroom.

I was called and told I was moved last summer from CR to this room, i was not able to change it so I made it work. In the end we really enjoyed it.

Elevators at WL are never busy if that helps. You should be able to go up without issues.

At WL in an ECV you will be disadvantaged not being in the CL section. You will want to be on the 6th floor near the lounge.
The Old Faithful Club is on the 7th floor while the Deluxe rooms stop on the 6th floor due to the building design. The 7th floor North wing is shorter vs the other floors.

The lobby is on the 2nd floor so the 1st floor is really only a direct advantage if you use the Resort launch from the WL to MK and enter the lodge right near the end of the building.

The larger area in the Deluxe room would allow lots of room to store your scooter out of the way.
Absolutely try. Contact DSS and tell them you want the room you booked, that the substitute room is absolutely not acceptable.
I would not send an email but call Disney Signature Services (DSS) at 407-939-7777 to discuss you concerns. They are available seven days a week from 9 to 5 Eastern Time.
You should consider the concrete area by the lake area just outside of Geyser Point to view the Fireworks.

Dave

I would definitely call and ask if you could please just have the room you booked. I've stayed CL at WL and really would not want to be in a room that is not on the CL floor. We've done that at other resorts (AKL and GF) and found getting to the lounge to be a bit of an inconvenience. Add a scooter into the mix and it will make it harder for you to access the lounge.

I would not send an email but call Disney Signature Services (DSS) at 407-939-7777 to discuss you concerns. They are available seven days a week from 9 to 5 Eastern Time.
Dave
Ack on the wrong floor!! Thanks!

Yeah, calling would be faster. Fwiw I emailed them last week and they responded in just a few hours- but if you’re close in just a few hours can make the difference!

Omg an ECV.

At WL in an ECV you will be disadvantaged not being in the CL section. You will want to be on the *7th* floor near the lounge. It’s actually impossible to get the dang door to the CL/CL room area open while staying on your ECV so having to do that every time you want to visit the club will suck. I’d want to be placed on the 6th floor in the CL section with an ECV personally. You have to get past the gate each time you go to your room but at least not each time you want to swing by the club.

ETA: fixed floor!!
The letter specifically said floors 1-5 so I doubt we will get the 6th floor. They are loading us up with our requested drinks too. I might ask if it's okay if we bring back extras of things like 2 packs of cookies etc so we do not have to run back to the lounge all the time.

I can move around a bit without the scooter - it's mostly for the long daily hikes in the park over several days or long periods of standing, like in lines. So, since I have the scooter for the park - I might try to go to the lounge without the scooter and see how I do. :confused3

I was planning on using the scooter to the lounge so we could have breakfast and leave to the parks, but we would just make a detour back to the room before leaving.

Outside of Disney I do not use a scooter. I can do one day of hiking around before it would be needed. Like one day at an art or science museum, at a park at a leisurely pace, stopping at a few benches, a day at a carnival or faire, a day of up and down a flight of stairs 5-6 times a day in the house like when decorating for Xmas, (but ouch at the end of that day!) a day at the zoo, etc.

Even with all the negatives - we are gonna try. Hubs is convinced because he looked at the price difference between regular club level and deluxe. :-)rolleyes: - Yes Honey it IS an "upgrade" LOL!) We are going to mention in our reply that I have a scooter. This was supposed to be more of a leisurely paced trip with some afternoons in the room - We will be able to take advantage of the extra space - so we are going to let the pieces fall where they may.

The letter specifically said floors 1-5 so I doubt we will get the 6th floor. They are loading us up with our requested drinks too. I might ask if it's okay if we bring back extras of things like 2 packs of cookies etc so we do not have to run back to the lounge all the time.

I can move around a bit without the scooter - it's mostly for the long daily hikes in the park over several days or long periods of standing, like in lines. So, since I have the scooter for the park - I might try to go to the lounge without the scooter and see how I do. :confused3

I was planning on using the scooter to the lounge so we could have breakfast and leave to the parks, but we would just make a detour back to the room before leaving.

Outside of Disney I do not use a scooter. I can do one day of hiking around before it would be needed. Like one day at an art or science museum, at a park at a leisurely pace, stopping at a few benches, a day at a carnival or faire, a day of up and down a flight of stairs 5-6 times a day in the house like when decorating for Xmas, (but ouch at the end of that day!) a day at the zoo, etc.

Even with all the negatives - we are gonna try. Hubs is convinced because he looked at the price difference between regular club level and deluxe. :-)rolleyes: - Yes Honey it IS an "upgrade" LOL!) We are going to mention in our reply that I have a scooter. This was supposed to be more of a leisurely paced trip with some afternoons in the room - We will be able to take advantage of the extra space - so we are going to let the pieces fall where they may.
You don’t have to ask to take food from the lounge to your room 😃 You could load two plates full of cookies and take them back if you wanted.

Since that’s the case you could totally just park your scooter outside the gate to the CL area. There’s a nice seating area that’s rarely used there (open to everyone) you could park it.

When going to/from your room and the lounge, you won’t be going through the gate that’s been referenced a few times above. The gate comes into play when you use the main lobby elevators (like going to/from the lounge from the lobby). But for room/lounge travels you’ll generally use a secondary elevator bank on the north wing. The 7th floor is access controlled there and you tap your MagicBand/phone/card for access. Just FYI.

Sounds like you’ve made your decision and are content with it (so sorry to pile on with more comments), but if this were me I’d personally rather have your original King room. Nothing wrong with the Deluxe Rooms, they just aren’t my favorite… sort of strange use of space, furniture feels chunky and makes the room feel smaller than it is, 2 queen beds, distance to lounge, etc. The boats have never bothered me but the geyser noise is a bit annoying from the ones closer to the geyser (less of an issue from the other side). I think you said your trip is short so probably no harm/no foul if you don’t end up liking it.

So…we check in.

first no one could find us on the club level list. Then we were told…we should not have gotten that email telling us we were getting a deluxe room.

what?

and no deluxe rooms are available.

.ok?

and your room is not inside the club but across the hall.

what?

resolution options included being walked to another club level, or a non club room.

what?

long story short…they got us a Deluxe room. we are in the lounge waiting for our room#.

Thank you for finding a solution, Wilderness Lodge CMs!! It is not about the problem, it is about the resolution. they resolved it successfully.

btw, on the app it never showed an upgrade.

Moral: check your app if you get a notice before your check in day you are upgraded. once the CM told us in person, it was listed in the app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter