• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

xmas or august...

trikky

Earning My Ears
we can't make our minds up whether to go in xmas or august 2003.last aug in orlando it did nothing but rain..due to the tropical storm in the gulf....ideally we want warm/hot weather with little or no rain..as like a lot of people we are governed by the school hols( uk)...i spent 16 yrs in the tropics (kenya) the rains would come for a few hours and then everything would be back to normal.....i was assured by the travel agent that this was also the case in florida...were we all just unlucky last year or does it rain on and off all the time during summer,,,, we spent £7000 last year and most of it was spent under a poncho !!

so is it going to be xmas or summer..your comments will decide !!!:confused:

Trikky

I think you must have been a bit unlucky.

We have been to Orlando 3 times during the last two weeks in August and it has been HOT with very little rain.

On our trip last year, It rained twice - once about 5pm for about an hour. The second time was mid afternoon for about two hours.

Perhaps we have been lucky. I can't say about Xmas, as that is one time we have never tried.

Maxine

Mike, we were there last august too, we also got totaly fed up with the rain, next year we have opted to go for 3 weeks in May, taking 2 weeks out of school for DS and the other week falling at half term. If it was me i certainly wouldnt go again in august, apprently may is nice warm, not so humid, and no rain LOL!!!. If i had your choice i would go xmas, okay the weather isnt as hot and humid as august, but theres loads of things going on for xmas.

jules

well im off in 11 days and really hope we get lots of sunshine although my sis left on saturday and the forecast does'nt look very promising for her first week so i really hope it picks up before i get there, in saying that this is my third time to florida the first time was january when it was a little chilly the first couple of days then it was in the 70's for the rest of the fortnight (no rain ) then the last time was late april beggining of may and the weather was lovely not 1 day of rain until we were ready to fly out and it started so hopefully i will have the same good luck this year as i'm really looking forward to getting a bit of a tan and eskape this miserable summer we are having here.
margaret.

It's all swings & roundabouts and a dose of good luck i'm afraid. 2 years ago it was very cold around Xmas but last year was nice. Last year the Summer was miserably wet- this year who knows.
My Sister has lived in Florida for many years now and the weather is just as unpredictable as here, just different temps! If you want hot weather Xmas is quite risky but August would normally have just the heavy afternoon showers.
Can you tack some time onto a half-term as has been suggested. May & Oct are usually pretty good bets.
Regards,
Carol:cool:

We've had a couple of bad experiences in August. None of this 'short sharp shower' stuff for us - we were deluged with day-long downpours! Statistically, rainfall is at its most prolific in July, with August pretty close behind, so, although I agree that luck plays a part, it probably makes sense to give August a miss if you want to avoid the rain. We had no rain at all during our first 3 trips, so our first 'summer' trip in 2000 came as quite a shock and did affect our enjoyment. I wouldn't go back in the summer months again unless there was absolutely no choice.

We went just before Christmas last year and had fabulous weather (temperatures in the 80s and no rain), but we did get lucky. The previous year they were experiencing freezing conditions (literally) as many unfortunate DISers will tell you!

As Carol says, May and October are good bets - we've certainly had the best weather at those times and we're hoping this October won't let us down!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter