Yachtsman or STK?

PrincessAshlee

Mouseketeer
DF and I will be traveling to WDW for our Disneymoon in mid-October. We currently have an ADR for dinner our first night at the Yachtman Steakhouse. With the opening of STK Orlando in Disney Springs, I am wondering if we should change our ADR and eat there instead. :confused3

We are planning to get the 32 oz Porterhouse to share; which is available at both restaurants. Price wise, they seem about even (once you add the sides at STK) and I have read good reviews on both. Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help! :thumbsup2

From reading Josh's review on easywdw, I think the question is more about atmosphere, both will have good and expensive food. If you are young and hip, STK may be lots of fun. If you want a more traditional quiet steakhouse vibe, then Yachtsman would be good. You might also want to look at Boathouse in Disney Springs. It will also depend on what you'll be near that day. If you will already be near Epcot or DHS during the day or you are staying near there, then Yachtsman wins. Transportation around WDW is no joke.

STK is brand new so there won't be lots of reviews yet.
I too, read Josh of easywdw review and I agree with the PP. I think it is primarily the atmosphere that is very different. Do you want quiet and intimate or lively and upbeat.
Congratulations and Good Luck in your decision

Disneyfoodblog just released a review on this and confirmed that it is part of the dining plan. :) I can't wait to try this on our next trip. :)

Not Disney STK but my fiance had to go to the one in NYC to check out the competitor (his mom is opening a steak house) and he didn't like it at all. He said the food was mediocre at best and the atmosphere was fake hip. We have been to Yachtsman and he really enjoyed that. It has the classic steak house feel and the food was one of the tops we had at Disney.

I will note we just aren't the crowd STK is after. We don't club and don't usually like super loud music with dinner. Also if we are having dinner we would prefer if it wasn't in a place where mingling with strangers at other tables is encouraged. STK seems to be built around that.

Just to further clarify, STK is on the dining plan but that only includes meats, no sides are include apparently.

I can go to almost any big city and dine at STK, but only do Yachtsman in Disney, so Yachtsman it is for us.

I do understand that not everyone has access to this restaurant or a great steakhouse, so that's just personal opinion.

Havent been to STK but Yachtsman, Le Cellier, Chefs De France, Bull and Bear, Boathouse, Shulas, and Artist Point all have great steaks. We just went to the Boathouse and sat out on the docks at sunset and it was one of our best meals to date. There are some small tables on the docks for two that would be nice for a romantic meal alone and the setting cant be beat. antique boats, water, great food, etc.

Havent been to STK but Yachtsman, Le Cellier, Chefs De France, Bull and Bear, Boathouse, Shulas, and Artist Point all have great steaks. We just went to the Boathouse and sat out on the docks at sunset and it was one of our best meals to date. There are some small tables on the docks for two that would be nice for a romantic meal alone and the setting cant be beat. antique boats, water, great food, etc.

Did you order steak? We love the Yachtsman. Haven't tried STK or Boathouse yet.

If you are on the dining plan, you should note: your entree will count as TWO dining credits, but not include any sides at both Boathouse or STK. I think that would make me pick Yachtsman. Now, if I wasn't on the dining plan, I think I would go Boathouse. It was a much more peaceful and romantic vibe than either of the other two. OR, go to Boathouse for the great food and quiet romance, then grab a drink at STK?

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions!!!

From reading Josh's review on easywdw, I think the question is more about atmosphere, both will have good and expensive food.

Now that I have read Josh’s review on easywdw, I am even more confused. He seemed very critical! I read some of his other reviews to make sure that wasn’t just his style and it seems as though he really just didn’t like STK. He seemed to think that everything was very overpriced, but when compared to Yachtsman, the pricing is relatively the same.

If you are young and hip, STK may be lots of fun.

We’re in our late 20s/early 30s, so I would think we may still qualify as young, but we’re definitely not hip or trendy. o_O

If your using the dining plan, Yachtsman for sure.
If not, STK definitely!

We are not on the dining plan. Paying OOP, both restaurants seem about equal in terms of cost.

Disneyfoodblog just released a review on this

I had read the review on Disneyfoodblog first and it was much more positive. With regards to the food, I liked the idea of being able to pick which sides I wanted for relatively the same price (as Yachtsman). The mac and cheese and truffle fries look amazing (especially when compared to sautéed onions and creamed spinach ). Also this review mentioned that the music is not nearly as loud upstairs and that if you call the restaurant directly to make your reservation that you can request a table on the second floor.

Do you want quiet and intimate or lively and upbeat.

I am hoping that a table upstairs would provide us with an atmosphere somewhere in the middle. It will be just the two of us all week, so I don't think that we need quiet and intimate for every meal. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of loud music while eating either. :sad2:

I can go to almost any big city and dine at STK, but only do Yachtsman in Disney, so Yachtsman it is for us.

Right! When at WDW, we only eat at restaurants that we can only eat at at WDW. This is usually my attitude too, but since STK is new and we don't plan on traveling to any of the other big cities that they are in anytime soon, I am still considering it.

We just went to the Boathouse and sat out on the docks at sunset and it was one of our best meals to date. There are some small tables on the docks for two that would be nice for a romantic meal alone and the setting cant be beat. antique boats, water, great food, etc.

That does sound very nice! However, we were planning our meal for around 5pm and outdoor seating in the afternoon heat doesn't sound quite as romantic. :furious:

Now, if I wasn't on the dining plan, I think I would go Boathouse.

I agree that Boathouse seems to be the more affordable option, but the side and dessert options just did not appeal to us.

13226966_10154226131337704_3673032400787433710_n_zpsgliizyxf.jpg

So what did we decide? :jumping1:

I think we are going to take a chance on STK! After drooling over a few more reviews, the food options there just appeals to us more than the other places and that was what we were really looking for: a good steak dinner. I am hoping that the upstairs dining isn't quite as loud.

Also, I like the idea of going to Disney Springs after checking into our hotel. We can even hit the House of Blues or Raglan Road for Happy Hour before our dinner reservation.

If it had been later into our trip, I might have chosen the quieter, more intimate atmosphere, where we could escape from the busy parks, but since it will be our first night, let's get the party started! LOL party:

:thanks: Thanks again everyone for your suggestions!!!

Last edited:
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions!!!

Now that I have read Josh’s review on easywdw, I am even more confused. He seemed very critical! I read some of his other reviews to make sure that wasn’t just his style and it seems as though he really just didn’t like STK. He seemed to think that everything was very overpriced, but when compared to Yachtsman, the pricing is relatively the same.

We’re in our late 20s/early 30s, so I would think we may still qualify as young, but we’re definitely not hip or trendy. o_O

We are not on the dining plan. Paying OOP, both restaurants seem about equal in terms of cost.

I had read the review on Disneyfoodblog first and it was much more positive. With regards to the food, I liked the idea of being able to pick which sides I wanted for relatively the same price (as Yachtsman). The mac and cheese and truffle fries look amazing (especially when compared to sautéed onions and creamed spinach ). Also this review mentioned that the music is not nearly as loud upstairs and that if you call the restaurant directly to make your reservation that you can request a table on the second floor.

I am hoping that a table upstairs would provide us with an atmosphere somewhere in the middle. It will be just the two of us all week, so I don't think that we need quiet and intimate for every meal. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of loud music while eating either. :sad2:

Right! When at WDW, we only eat at restaurants that we can only eat at at WDW. This is usually my attitude too, but since STK is new and we don't plan on traveling to any of the other big cities that they are in anytime soon, I am still considering it.

That does sound very nice! However, we were planning our meal for around 5pm and outdoor seating in the afternoon heat doesn't sound quite as romantic. :furious:

I agree that Boathouse seems to be the more affordable option, but the side and dessert options just did not appeal to us.

13226966_10154226131337704_3673032400787433710_n_zpsgliizyxf.jpg

So what did we decide? :jumping1:

I think we are going to take a chance on STK! After drooling over a few more reviews, the food options there just appeal to us more than the other places and that was what we were really looking for: a good steak dinner. I am hoping that the upstairs dining isn't quite as loud.

Also, I like the idea of going to Disney Springs after checking into our hotel. We can even hit the House of Blues or Raglan Road for Happy Hour before our dinner reservation.

If it had been later into our trip, I might have chosen the quieter, more intimate atmosphere, where we could escape from the busy parks, but since it will be our first night, let's get the party started! LOL party:

:thanks: Thanks again everyone for your suggestions!!!

Thanks for the tip of going upstairs. I plan to bring my toddler and I saw reviews about it being loud. I figure a 5pm dinner should not be too loud yet but if there's a floor that's less noisy, I would totally go for it. :) DH and I are in our early 30s and not hip and trendy but love good food :D

LOOKING FORWARD to Yachstman this October. Have had a fabulous meal many times, but has been about 2 years. LOVE the steak!:cheer2:

You have to wonder why they think excessive noise adds to the allure of a high price steak-house???

DF and I will be traveling to WDW for our Disneymoon in mid-October. We currently have an ADR for dinner our first night at the Yachtman Steakhouse. With the opening of STK Orlando in Disney Springs, I am wondering if we should change our ADR and eat there instead. :confused3

We are planning to get the 32 oz Porterhouse to share; which is available at both restaurants. Price wise, they seem about even (once you add the sides at STK) and I have read good reviews on both. Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help! :thumbsup2
Have always had great steak at Yachtsman! Since you are traveling in October F&W and are paying OOP, walk over to Epcot for some GREAT desserts! ENJOY!:banana:::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter