Yard Trampolines - What Age Are they Outgrown?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
My DD has a large outdoor trampoline that we bought when she was 6 (she is now 11). At the time we had saved money for a jungle gym type play piece but she loved the trampoline so much more. So we "did it right" and bought a decent one, put stakes in the ground to hold it, and all that. It has been used, but not what I would say abundantly. She is an only child, and the older she has gotten, the less fun it has been to play on alone. Unless she has friends over - and while thats not every weekend, she would if we would let her - and there is really nothing else outside for them to do.

This past winter the net/sides began to fall, so DH took them off completely. Right now there only the base of the trampoline, and we need to make decisions. I mentioned putting up a new net, but DH says between that and a cover for the springs, it isn't worth the cost. So our choices are now take it down and just be done, or take it down and replace it. I'm tempted to get one that is currently on sale at Sams for $179, knowing it will probably only be used 1-2 more years, and I feel like that's not too much $$ for that.

If your kids had one, or just in general, do you think 11.5 is a good time to just pitch it and not replace? or would you chance getting another one and having something for her and her friends to do outside?

My boys bought their own trampoline when they were 10 and 13. It's a pretty high quality one. They've used it for years, as have most of the neighborhood. The current 15 year old doesn't use it as much as he used to but still goes on it at least once a week. My 19 year old daughter will still sometimes hang on it at night when she has friends over. At her 18th birthday party, there were about 10 kids jumping on it at once. We are currently replacing the net as the boys built a tower to jump off of onto the trampoline and its not really safe without the net. Boys are pretty athletic and into freestyle skiing so the trampoline gives them somewhere to practice for the ski slopes.

Backyard trampolines tend to have the highest rate of injury for all yard equipment. Someone I work with heard that from an ER doctor when her child broke his arm jumping on one at someone's birthday party. Even with a net, having some of the neighbor's children jumping on it can still be a liability issue. I would try to find some other safer piece of equipment if the one you have is worn out.

My kids are only 13 and 9 so I don’t have a gauge for how long it will be used (although it’s heavily used currently by my kids and the neighbors), but I can say we inherited ours from my brother in law. He gave it to us when my nieces were 16 and 19. At that time, there was little use by them.

I jumped on a trampoline last year during 4th of July. I was 40. In my case, all the teenagers were scared I was going to break something. I did not, but could have gone either way. I'd keep it if I were you...

Not to be a party pooper, but echoing _19disnA, trampolines are very dangerous, and I wouldn’t want my kid on one. They can result in serious accidents that cause paralysis. So if I were you, I’d pitch it and look for other activities.

Have you considered an above ground pool? Intex makes some that are pretty affordable. At that age, and through HS, my kids got a lot of use out of it with their friends. We grilled a lot of hot dogs and supplied a lot of drinks and snacks, but it was nice to know where they were and that everyone was staying out of trouble. (And they still use it a fair amount post-college.)

My DD has a large outdoor trampoline that we bought when she was 6 (she is now 11). At the time we had saved money for a jungle gym type play piece but she loved the trampoline so much more. So we "did it right" and bought a decent one, put stakes in the ground to hold it, and all that. It has been used, but not what I would say abundantly. She is an only child, and the older she has gotten, the less fun it has been to play on alone. Unless she has friends over - and while thats not every weekend, she would if we would let her - and there is really nothing else outside for them to do.

This past winter the net/sides began to fall, so DH took them off completely. Right now there only the base of the trampoline, and we need to make decisions. I mentioned putting up a new net, but DH says between that and a cover for the springs, it isn't worth the cost. So our choices are now take it down and just be done, or take it down and replace it. I'm tempted to get one that is currently on sale at Sams for $179, knowing it will probably only be used 1-2 more years, and I feel like that's not too much $$ for that.

If your kids had one, or just in general, do you think 11.5 is a good time to just pitch it and not replace? or would you chance getting another one and having something for her and her friends to do outside?
What does your DD think? As a tween, perhaps she doesn’t even want it anymore? As an only myself and having raised an only, I can attest there aren't a lot of solitary, backyard activities that hold much interest but maybe something different would be more suitable for her and her friends going forward?

My youngest is 17 and we got rid of the trampoline about 12 months ago as it was on its last legs. She says we need another.

I wouldn't bother replacing it at that age. Can't they just walk to the playground or go for a bike ride?
Depending on where the OP lives this may not be an option… it certainly wouldn’t be for my boys.
We got ours maybe 5 years ago and it’s on its last leg. My boys are 16 and 11 and the teenager goes on it most afternoons for hours. We need to look into another one as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter