*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

Our SW flights have actually gone up, but they were very low to start with -192 RT/PP, nonstop flights. Gotta keep checking though, every little bit helps with a future trip!

FP day today. We got everything we wanted except MMRR. Unfortunately that was the one we most wanted. I know it's a people-eater and I've heard that the posted wait times are significantly longer than the true wait so we'll see what happens. Otherwise, times for everything we wanted were good. Good luck to the rest of the group!

Thanks to you all checking your flights and posting it. I decided to check the Southwest flights we booked in Nov of last year for our May trip, and yesterday there wasnt much difference, but tonight I checked again and wow, i just saved $200. So thanks to you all who mentioned it!!

Flight dropped again. A little more and I'll be trying out that new JB cancellation policy for the flight I booked this week and going with a less ideal flight on SW for half the points. Plus, I was able to switch from ASsports to ASMo - yay for a renovated room!

Flight dropped again. A little more and I'll be trying out that new JB cancellation policy for the flight I booked this week and going with a less ideal flight on SW for half the points. Plus, I was able to switch from ASsports to ASMo - yay for a renovated room!
I think I'm a little behind here. What's the cancellation policy?

Sorry to jump in but we are thinking of booking for next May (2021) the last week of May and 1st week of June. Will Memorial day crowds be for the weekend or the whole week?

We're from the UK so don't know how it works :confused3

We have been over Thanksgiving (insanely busy) and Halloween so wondering of crowds will be up to those levels.

Sorry to jump in but we are thinking of booking for next May (2021) the last week of May and 1st week of June. Will Memorial day crowds be for the weekend or the whole week?

We're from the UK so don't know how it works :confused3

We have been over Thanksgiving (insanely busy) and Halloween so wondering of crowds will be up to those levels.

The main problem with Memorial Day is that a lot of school districts finish for the year around the same time. Not the biggest one in the country (New York doesn’t finish until the end of June), but a lot of the South. Date based pricing gets higher too. These are some of the reasons we opted for the beginning of the month for our trip this year, despite the fact that my actual birthday falls at the end.

I took my baby cousin who’s a local for Memorial Day weekend back in 2016 when she graduated middle school and it was fairly crowded. The good news is park hours are generally extended during times like that so if you have a solid plan you’ll be alright. I would just caution that it’s also when the heat and humidity starts to get ugly down there so you will want to take things slow and easy, stay extra hydrated with plenty of A/C and pool breaks. UK guests who aren’t familiar with Florida heat tend to get blindsided. I have relatives from the Midlands and my step niece almost got heat stroke the first time they went to the parks that time of year. She tried to commando and it didn’t end well. So take it easy.

The main problem with Memorial Day is that a lot of school districts finish for the year around the same time. Not the biggest one in the country (New York doesn’t finish until the end of June), but a lot of the South. Date based pricing gets higher too. These are some of the reasons we opted for the beginning of the month for our trip this year, despite the fact that my actual birthday falls at the end.

I took my baby cousin who’s a local for Memorial Day weekend back in 2016 when she graduated middle school and it was fairly crowded. The good news is park hours are generally extended during times like that so if you have a solid plan you’ll be alright. I would just caution that it’s also when the heat and humidity starts to get ugly down there so you will want to take things slow and easy, stay extra hydrated with plenty of A/C and pool breaks. UK guests who aren’t familiar with Florida heat tend to get blindsided. I have relatives from the Midlands and my step niece almost got heat stroke the first time they went to the parks that time of year. She tried to commando and it didn’t end well. So take it easy.
Thank you for the heads up about schools breaking up for the year. I didn't know it was that early ( lucky children )!

We are somewhat restricted due to school holidays but I'll try something else and use a week of Easter holidays and a week during term time (easter is the most expensive time for us)

Does anyone else feel concerned they might have to cancel? I'm trying not to feel panicked.

I think it is really easy to feel concerned, especially if you watch the nightly news or read just about anything on social media.

Would I book a cruise right now? Um, NO. Am I going to cancel my May plans? Heck NO! Unless and until I hear that airlines are being shut down and/or WDW is closing, I'm going to plan on going. We were there last year Labor day week-Hurricane was threatening and we went anyway. We lost 1 evening and 1 day at the parks. We stayed at YC, and the day they closed the parks early we managed to get an ADR at Chef's de France and had one of the best meals ever - it was fun to be in WS without hordes of people there. We grabbed an uber and headed to the character warehouse. Our trip went on, with just a few adjustments.

I'm not going to panic, until it's time to panic :)

Got all my fastpasses today for the most part outside of a few timeframes.

:jumping1: Me too! I've even went in and done some adjustments and fine tuning. Even better, while I was waiting for the clock to turnover to 7 ,I got a notification from TP's Reservation Finder for an earlier Ohana ADR that I managed to grab. So we get to eat now before 9:45PM that night, lol.

It all feels like it's coming togeher!

Does anyone else feel concerned they might have to cancel? I'm trying not to feel panicked.

Not at all, and my partner has cystic fibrosis. I work in local government and my agency has been on the frontlines of providing information to the public and managing fears. Living in densely populated urban areas with known cases the way we both do, staying away from WDW for fear of exposure doesn’t make a lot of sense. So unless Disney shuts the parks down, we’re not going to let it keep us away. Cruising is another story and something I would actively avoid at this time.

My advice is to turn the darn news off. The media is absolutely not helping.

Not too much concern. We are going on our May trip for sure unless Disney actually closes the parks and then we will just reschedule for a later date. If our flight is cancelled we will either just jump in the car and drive 12 hours and use the airfare credit later on, or decide to reschedule. Sure hope it doesn't come to that as we are really looking forward to our trip. Try not to panic too much, us May visitors have a month and a half to two months or more before we go and maybe things will be looking up by then.
My fastpass day is tomorrow morning and I am so excited about it....i always feel so excited on fastpass schedule day and i so enjoy when i am done stalking the passes after that to tighten up the times.

I am not planning on canceling unless Disney closes the parks. I am so looking forward to this trip. With that said I would not as others have said plan a cruise right now. I believe it is smart to use caution and common sense. I work in the medical field and understand how important it is to wash hands with soap and water. I am super vigilant on this every trip I take.

I'm with everyone else that I see in this thread - we're not canceling unless forced to, which basically means Disney deciding to close (which I think is unlikely) or if some kind of airline/travel restriction were to go into effect. I totally understand feeling nervous, and everyone will have to make that decision for themselves as far as whether it's worth it to go. But I figure we can't hide out forever, so if I end up skipping our trip, I could still end up getting it just because it's spreading everywhere.

If anyone else is looking to book the May 4th Epcot DVC Moonlight Magic, they updated the web page to include the link that we'll need to click on before 9am EST tomorrow. The link is currently clickable and takes you to a screen with information about how the registration works and shows a countdown until it opens.

I'm really hopeful that we'll be able to register and attend our first Moonlight Magic event on this trip! I've got multiple devices ready and I've blocked off my calendar so no one can bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter