Yeah! Approval for Van Conversion from State!

shovan

DIS Veteran
I just wanted to go outside & scream: Wooohooo!! :cool1:

So I thought I tell you guys about instead! :rotfl:

My DH (50 with limb-girdle MD) just received a call from our state, LA. Rehabilation Services letting us know we did get the final approval for the state to pay for the lift conversion on our new van!!!! Wooohooo! :banana:

This has been a long process & we thought we had the final approval over a month ago. Well, we ordered the van from a local dealer, with a state approved Conversion Company. To make a long story short (shorter anyway), final papers still had to come from Baton Rouge. So, the van has been here in town for about 2 1/2 weeks in storage at the conversion co., but we could not pick it up until they recieved all the papers from the state! or pay for the conversion ourselves! ($21,500 for just the lift conversion, not including cost of the van.)

The local state rep. for this, now has the papers on her desk & my Dh just went sign them! We should be able to pick up our new van with the lift on Wednesday!! Yeah!!! :Pinkbounc

Wow. :cool1: Congratulations. :cool1: What kind of van did you get? A full size or mini? We live in Louisiana and bought our van from Access Vans in Grosse Tete.
I would love to know how you got the state to pay for your vehicle. Did you go through OCDD? If the state would help us that would get a huge monkey off of our backs. KWIM?

Thanks guys, I'm an eternal pessimist, so this was actually a real surprise to me that it's working out!

Lillypug said:
Wow. :cool1: Congratulations. :cool1: What kind of van did you get? A full size or mini? We live in Louisiana and bought our van from Access Vans in Grosse Tete.
I would love to know how you got the state to pay for your vehicle. Did you go through OCDD? If the state would help us that would get a huge monkey off of our backs. KWIM?

We are getting a Chrysler mini-van with the dropped floor & side lift. This is a new program that is specifically designed for handicapped persons who are still working & need help to continue working. They are not paying for the van, only for the lift conversion. There are lots of rules to get them to help with this. I know they would not pay for anything we did on our own. That's why we still don't have the van? If you have more questions, send me a personal message & I'll try to give you the answers.

Voc Rehab here in Florida did the same for me and I'm now awaiting approval for another new van. They will provide the adaptations for a new van every 5 years. There is no program that pays for the van, but they do pay for the adaptations such as a lift, kneeling, hand controls, or in my case a specialized joystick system that costs over 60K- there would be no way for me to afford it or continue working without the assistance. I'm so glad to the OP that yours is on it's way...hooray for independence!---Kathy

dclfun said:
Voc Rehab here in Florida did the same for me and I'm now awaiting approval for another new van. They will provide the adaptations for a new van every 5 years. There is no program that pays for the van, but they do pay for the adaptations such as a lift, kneeling, hand controls, or in my case a specialized joystick system that costs over 60K- there would be no way for me to afford it or continue working without the assistance. I'm so glad to the OP that yours is on it's way...hooray for independence!---Kathy

Congratulations on that! I don't think LA. will provide for this more than once, maybe we'll just have to move into our DVC in FL.! :lmao:

A specialized driving system will be our next hurdle! My DH hasn't been able to drive in years & they might help us with this also. But first we have to get the van in, & then drive up to North LA. for another more specialized driving accessment! Hopefully it will all work out!

I didn't know that VR would approve a second adaptation either, but was very happy to find out. I also have a Grand Caravan with kneeling and a side lift. Mine is nearing 100K miles and I am starting to be worried about my long commute and the possibility of it breaking down with repairs I can't afford. VR paid for my initial driving assessment though a company in Texas called "Driving Ambition". ( Love the pun). They sent someone out to test me on different equipment and then I had to be trained for about three intensive weeks to use the joystick/EMC system before they would even install it. It has a touchpad to turn on the van, operate the wipers, etc, a jelly button for me to hit with my elbow for turn signals, and then the whole van drives by computer. I don't touch the steering wheel or pedals. This system can even be used by quadriplegics with no hand use. I hope something can be found that works for your husband as I know he'd feel like I do- happy to be able to get places on my own. Good luck!---Kathy

Thanks, Kathy!

We're hoping it all works out! He'd love to be able to drive again! & boy would it save me a lot of time! But, wow 60K for the equipment! I sure hope the state is willing to pay for that! If not we'll have to be happy having the van with the lift!! I guess we'll have to call our insurance agent & up the coverage on this new van. If we get all the modifications that Van will have cost over 100K!!! Unbelievable!

Hope you get approval for a new van, your's sounds like the 11 yr old van we're driving! We have to unhook the battery at night or demons in the electrical system run it down & it's just a regular van with a manual crane hoist in the back!
Have a great day!
Sheryl

Sheryl- VR paid for all the adaptations, and you're right...it then made the total cost of my van around 100K which killed me on the insurance. Still, the state got a bargain. If I couldn't work I'd be in a specialized facility costing more than this in even one year and my kids would have been in foster care, also costing the state not only for their care, but I'm sure for future mental health costs if they had to be removed from their mother ( I'm also a widow). Since your husband is working, they will pay for *anything* to enable him to work, including modifying your bathroom, widening doorways in your home, providing a power wheelchair and equipment, and providing prescription coverage. I was so grateful to have the van and only have to pay what everyone else pays for one that I didn't ask for more, but it might help you out. ---Kathy

Hi, Kathy

Thanks again! I am going to send you a PM since we are getting into so much detail here on the board!

Sheryl

shovan said:
I just wanted to go outside & scream: Wooohooo!! :cool1:

So I thought I tell you guys about instead! :rotfl:

:Pinkbounc

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:
AWESOME!!!! Way to go!!! It sure is a lot of work to get something, so my hats off to you and your dh! :cheer2:

I love a happy ending!

Karalynn said:
:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:
AWESOME!!!! Way to go!!! It sure is a lot of work to get something, so my hats off to you and your dh! :cheer2:

I love a happy ending!

Thanks Karalynn! You've obviously been thru this type of stuff! :goodvibes

We have not heard anything yet on when we can pick up the van. Have our fingers crossed that it will happen tomorrow!!

I'll post when we pick it up! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter