YES program and autism

disneynewman

DIS Veteran
I recently started looking into Disney's Y.E.S. program for our upcoming trip. The programs look great but I am hesitant to sign up my 9 year old who has Autism. Has anyone ever done this with a child with Autism?

We did. DD14 was in full OCD mode at the time and couldn't handle being touched or looked at by strangers and wouldn't touch things that she deemed "unclean". I was SUPER nervous. I quietly explained to the instructor before other arrived and the instructor was GREAT. She never made DD do anything and allowed me to grab things for her. She was really good at doing subtle things to encourage DD to join and actually did get her to join in and participate many times. I couldn't believe it. Even when DD wasn't participating, she went along and at least listened and the instructor was very engaging. Our class also involved the Stitch attraction and the instructor got another CM to take the rest of the class in while we waited by the exit since DD can not handle that attraction. She made us feel good about this option rather than what could have been uncomfortable. DD who wasn't talking with strangers at the time actually had a nice conversation with the instructor while we were waiting.

I am glad that we did it and I'm also glad that the class we chose was at the time of day where DD is at her best. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I did it with my dd who has Asperger's. It is very flexible and you are able to "hang back" from the group if necessary. We had a problem as our program had a 3d movie and my dd hates 3d movies but she didn't wear the glasses and I just kept her occupied the whole time. I think they will accomodate your son in any way necessary.

My DH did it with my DS on Jan 26. He is 16 and ASD, doesn't talk much (but can). The positive is that he LOVES Disney World, so any new experience there is great to him.

There were only 5 kids in the class and the teacher was great. He let my husband do everything with him, and my DH modeled everything, didn't just DO it. So DS did everything himself too, like drawings. He did the Animation Magic program.

If we go back in August, we're hoping to do another one. It was a really positive experience. I expected DS to get anxious and want to go somewhere else but DH said it kept him interested and engaged the entire time.

I would recommend it for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter