Yes, Walt is turning in his grave (or urn...)

Not sure Walt would care since she hasn't been accociated with Disney in something like 5 years.

Not sure Walt would care since she hasn't been accociated with Disney in something like 5 years.

I disagree.

Funicello stopped working for Disney in 1966. But the culture she had lived in there -- the one Walt built -- made her care about how her post-Disney career would forever reflect on her prior employer. That element (and yes, also the class and demeanor Annette carried as a product of a "simpler" time) is why she never lowered herself over her subsequent forty years of TV and film appearances.

But by the time Lohan came along, Walt's culture was gone.

Add in a "less' simple time and yes, you have a corrosive impact on the brand. The story of "Disney girl gone bad" plays well...in exactly the wrong way.

I don't think many people hear the name Lindsay Lohan and instantly think "DISNEY!" at this point. And I don't think many people hear the name "Disney" and instantly think "Anette Funicello" anymore, either.

...she never lowered herself over her subsequent forty years of TV and film appearances.

Yeah, I'm sure she has a shelf full of Emmys from her work on Love Boat and Fantasy Island. ;)

Seriously, though, she is unquestionably a classy individual. And Walt surely would have been disappointed with many of today's child stars. But I'm sure there were disappointments coming out of his era, too.

Lohan is an embarrassment to most of society and Disney was right to cut ties with her years ago. But I doubt even Walt himself could have predicted or avoided this outcome at age 11/12 when she began working for the company.

I don't think many people hear the name Lindsay Lohan and instantly think "DISNEY!" at this point.

I feel it varies, depending on the nature of how the name is heard. Some news reports still go down the "resume" path and underline her early career connection, some don't.

And I don't think many people hear the name "Disney" and instantly think "Anette Funicello" anymore, either.

You've got it backwards, a proper comparison should be the same as the example you gave with Lohan (e.g., name of person equates to...).

Specifically, when almost all people hear the name "Annette Funicello," the term "Mickey Mouse Club" (ergo, Disney) does immediately comes to mind (or in micro-seconds after "Frankie Avalon").

In other words, Annette does have an instaneous connection to the Disney brand and the fact she isn't carrying any baggage (and is now in fact a sympathetic figure by virtue of her health situation) makes her an asset to the brand.

And Lohan is still the antithesis of that.

Yeah, I'm sure she has a shelf full of Emmys from her work on Love Boat and Fantasy Island.

No, just this:

3584216990_18bc3b0f3e.jpg

Nice try
but no cigar
to those
who imply
legacy
doesn't matter

Actually, he's not turning over in his grave. His head is spinning in the cryo freezer deep under Pirates of the Caribbean in Anaheim.

If Walt was spinning in his grave for every time someone mentioned that, he'd have dug to China by now

It does seem to be a contest between Class and Class-less---

And CandyMandy is quite right--anyone at all who remembers Annette will instantly think of Disney and the MMC.

It does seem to be a contest between Class and Class-less---

And CandyMandy is quite right--anyone at all who remembers Annette will instantly think of Disney and the MMC.

I agree. When I hear her name, I immediately think of her in her mouse ears, singing on the MMC show.

When I hear the name Lindsay Lohan, I don't associate her with Disney in any way. In fact, I feel sort of sad for her. It's pathetic. She had some real talent, but now....:confused3

And Lindsay Lohan is not a product of Disney, Or being a child star.

She is a product of her parents.

Let's look at Bobby Driscoll, a child star from the Walt era: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Driscoll

Wow, what a depressing story! I had no idea what became of the voice of Peter Pan :guilty:

Also, I feel badly for Lindsay Lohan. As a child star, she had more pressure and scrutiny than the average child and her parents...well, they speak for themselves. Also, she's in the unenviable position of having the world watch her fall and, in many cases, taking pleasure in it. I'd love to see her make a comeback.

I'm sure Walt wouldn't be (or isn't) pleased... but at the same time I'm sure he'd hardly be shocked. Not only did he live to see Bobby Driscoll take a personal plunge (as already pointed out)- let's not forget some of the "shennanigans" (to put it kindly) Tommy Kirk (Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, etc.) pulled.

Whatever the case- personally I can see Walt chuckling to himself in heaven and being reminded how truly wonderful animated (and PIXAR for that matter) stars are because you never have to deal with these kind of "human" messes...:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter