Yet Another Tragedy --RnR Coaster this time

CNN is reporting he was twelve and they say it sounds as if it was pre-existing. While my thoughts are with the family, i pray this wont be another family that is sue happy if it is deemed he had a pre-existing condition.

That is sad, but reading the article, doesn't it sound more like they are talking about Mission Space and not RnRC? The part about pulling G's?

I maybe wrong. How sad for the family.

TheDisneyGirl02 said:
That is sad, but reading the article, doesn't it sound more like they are talking about Mission Space and not RnRC? The part about pulling G's?

No, when you first start out & are thrown back into your seat is probably a couple of Gs. Most likely when you go upside down as well, you pull a G or 2.

There are already about 4 threads related to this incident.

Very sad.

Well, one already posted (on this board, at least). I'm going to merge this thread with the pre-existing one.

Sarangel

TheDisneyGirl02 said:

It's definitely RnRC. I'd like to see the membership comment about this and how it compares or doesn't compare to MS.

My initial take is that you can not make a thrill ride compeltely safe unless you make it virtual. The irony is that MS is more virtual ride than actual thrill ride.

Local TV news site posted Disney's official statement, below

A 12-year-old male Guest was transported by ambulance to Celebration Hospital today at approximately 11:30 after riding Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster. We subsequently learned that he passed away.

We offer the family our deepest sympathies. A company representative is with them providing assistance.

We have closed the attraction pending an investigation. An initial review of the attraction shows the ride was operating normally. We have notified Orange County law enforcement. The state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection has also been notified and will observe the inspection and review of the attraction.

you know reading this as a cast member I really get irratated. Honestly I wanna know how many people actually read the numerous amount of signs we have posted on our attractions and take them to heart. I know if they did we wouldnt need height checkers. I feel really horrible for the family and my prayers are with them, especially if they didnt know about a preexisting condition. But if they did the parents should have read the signs or at least taken them seriously. Sorry if im making it sound personal im just honest and thats how i feel.

Understood.
Sometimes folks have to take responsibility for thier own actions. A concept not popular these days, I'm afraid..
We'll have to wait and see if there was any pre-existing condition. And then learn if it was "unknown" or not.

DLcastmbr said:
you know reading this as a cast member I really get irratated. Honestly I wanna know how many people actually read the numerous amount of signs we have posted on our attractions and take them to heart. I know if they did we wouldnt need height checkers. I feel really horrible for the family and my prayers are with them, especially if they didnt know about a preexisting condition. But if they did the parents should have read the signs or at least taken them seriously. Sorry if im making it sound personal im just honest and thats how i feel.
Is there any reason at this point to think that the parents knew their child had any of the conditions that you warn for?

I think the BIG problem is that most parents don't know if their child has a pre-existing condition or not. Unless there's an existing issue, how many children have a cardiac work-up by their pediatrician...ever? None! It really makes me think twice. I don't want to sound like a hypocondriac/over-protective mother and insist my son get all kinds of special tests done. But, when I see warning signs about pre-existing conditions, it's going to make me wonder.

Karla B.

DancingBear said:
Is there any reason at this point to think that the parents knew their child had any of the conditions that you warn for?

Of course not, but that hasn't stopped people from prematurely defending Disney in the past has it?

DLcastmbr said:

While this is a tragedy and I feel sorry for the family involved, I can't help but agree with DLcastmbr to some extent. The warning signs should spell it out completely, but most people don't read these signs. The next thing that people will talk about is pre-existing conditions, already playing the blame game and taking a side on this matter.

Warning signs or not. Pre-existing conditions or not. When you board a theme park ride, common sense dictates that you are riding at your own risk. If an investigation shows a malfunction or something else that Disney is responsible for, then Disney will take accountability. In any other situation, it is still an "at your own risk" scenario.

Like Mission:Space, this is a tragedy for the family involved. Disney will sustain a black eye for a short period of time. But like with all black eyes, this too will go away. In a few weeks, after those on sites like this move on to talk about something else, alll will be back to normal.

It doesn't matter whether the parents knew if this (or any of the other kids) had pre-existing conditions or not, the fact that they did is the key. What can Disney (or Universal or Busch Gardens) do to protect people from the effects of unknown ailments, offer physicals to everyone prior to riding? That "prematurely defending Disney" comment just doesn't hold water, IMO.
pirate:

First of all, this is tragic and my condolences to the family. I couldn't imagine the pain of losing one of my two boys in this fashion.

DancingBear said:
MJMcBRide said:
Of course not, but that hasn't stopped people from prematurely defending Disney in the past has it?

So now if you have a pre-existing condition that's not on the warning sign it's Disney's fault?

DB - you and mcbride cannot be serious about this....

I have to agree as well. I am an over-protective mother and proud of it. I understand personal responsibility as well. Life is full of uncertainties and we as parents, can only do our best. A 12 year old is strongwilled. I know because I have one and because I teach this age group. We can do our best to take precautions, understand the risks and pray for the best. I think we need to remember not to cast blame until all the facts are in. Disney is one of the safest parks there are and no they can't screen every guest who rides a ride. I wouldn't want them to. We need choices and options because we are a free society.

Let's pray for the family's loss and pray for our own families Hug your kids before they go to bed tonight and tell them you love them. Be glad it wasn't yours and try not to judge those that experienced this tragedy. Let's all see what comes out of the investigation and hope for the best -- whatever that may be.
Peter Pirate 2 said:
It doesn't matter whether the parents knew if this (or any of the other kids) had pre-existing conditions or not, the fact that they did is the key. What can Disney (or Universal or Busch Gardens) do to protect people from the effects of unknown ailments, offer physicals to everyone prior to riding? That "prematurely defending Disney" comment just doesn't hold water, IMO.
pirate:

A 911 call at 11:21 a.m. said the boy was unconscious and not breathing after the ride. Reedy Creek Fire Rescue, which responds to emergency calls at Walt Disney World, noted in its 911 call report that there was no defibrillator available before rescue workers arrived about 11:26 a.m.
This is the part that concerns me, in this type of situation five minuets can save a life. If a defibrillator had been available it might have in this case also.

The saddest part of the story is this:
Byron and Charlotte Russell and sons, Michael and 7-year-old Houston, had checked out of their Disney hotel this morning before heading to MGM.
If they hadn't of gone to MGM this morning they would be on their way if not already home with both of their live sons. This is another heartbreaking story and my prayers are with the family.

DannyDisneyFreak said:
The saddest part of the story is this:

If they hadn't of gone to MGM this morning they would be on their way if not already home with both of their live sons. This is another heartbreaking story and my prayers are with the family.

I totally agree...this really is so sad. How many times will that poor family say to themselves, "Why did we choose to go to that park...to ride that ride...why didnt' we just go home?" :sad2: The other thing that really makes me sad is that now Disney is ruined forever for this family. Their whole "Disney experience" for the rest of their lives is surrounded by death....where we all think of it as the happiest place on earth. That makes me sad. :sad1:

The whole thing is a horribly sad situation....where there really is no one at fault. It's not Disney's fault for not having enough signs, not the parents fault for not taking precautions....just truly an unfortunate state of events. :angel:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter