• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yikes didn’t realize I booked during marathon week in January ?????

Leigh123

DIS Veteran
How does this impact crowds/ transpiration. We are very fortunate we take 2 long leisurely trips in the spring an early fall each year so this isn’t a one N done for me. HOWEVER I dont want to ecperience a mad house either Since these quick winter trips are more about the parks for us.

On Saturday and Sunday (Half then Full marathons) just take Disney transportation and leave early. Those are the days that road paired might impact you, and it’s best to let the Disney drivers take you.

If you’re going to Epcot those mornings, expect that you’ll be slowed down once in the park by runners finishing. Wave, clap, say nice things. If you’re seeing them after the park is open, they’ve been on their feet for a long time and need your joyous support. Actually on Sunday it might be AK where you’ll see them. Not totally sure.

Either way, if you see the runners, be kind and supportive. :)

And when you see them in the parks and around the resorts with their medals, say congratulations. Makes us happy. :)

It doesn't usually affect crowds too much in my experience, especially since next year it will be further out from New Years.
Sunday will be the main day to add a bit of cushion to your travel time in the morning/early afternoon. A little bit of Saturday morning as well, but not as much as most people are done before parks open. The other days there will be minimal impact to transportation.

ETA: Yes! Cheer for the runners if you see them, it really does make a big difference. Particularly in Epcot as that's the last mile of the half/full.

For sure cheer on the runners!

Just DO NOT say “You’re almost there!” unless you are outside Epcot at the fence where the finish line is. Until that point, they are NOT “almost there” and saying it before that is just cruel!! Especially when they are in Epcot because that is the last couple of miles and those are H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS and feel like they will never end.

I wouldn't sweat it (lol... runners, sweat... that was NOT an intended pun!). We booked a very last-minute trip in April and had no idea there was a running event until we overheard someone on our flight out of SeaTac say they were running. The only extra anything we really noticed were a lot of runners at breakfast at the hotel (AoA) that Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise, there seemed to be no big influx of extra people, etc. (We were on bus/monorail transport during our stay as well, so I can't vouch for road closures but we didn't seem to have any delays.)

I wouldn't sweat it (lol... runners, sweat... that was NOT an intended pun!). We booked a very last-minute trip in April and had no idea there was a running event until we overheard someone on our flight out of SeaTac say they were running. The only extra anything we really noticed were a lot of runners at breakfast at the hotel (AoA) that Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise, there seemed to be no big influx of extra people, etc. (We were on bus/monorail transport during our stay as well, so I can't vouch for road closures but we didn't seem to have any delays.)
Marathon weekend tends to be a much bigger draw than the others, and has more days of events for people to sign up for. Also, it’s the only marathon. The marathon obviously closes roads for longer than any of the other events, so that day you should add a larger buffer for getting around the parks.
Way back in 2003 I happened to be there for Marathon weekend. I remember being on the monorail and watching the characters cheer on the runners. It was awesome!

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's the first week of January when many schools are still out for the Christmas break.:)

Thanks for all the responses....I will for sure cheer on/congratulate the runners....DH is a runner (not at wdw). I only run to sales at Macy's an the que for FOP :>

What times might the marathon effect EPCOT on Saturday, the 12th? Just early on or afternoon as well?

What times might the marathon effect EPCOT on Saturday, the 12th? Just early on or afternoon as well?

It will go into the early afternoon as the cut-off time is 7 hours - but that's from the time the final runner crosses the starting line which is usually after 6am.

It will go into the early afternoon as the cut-off time is 7 hours - but that's from the time the final runner crosses the starting line which is usually after 6am.
Good to know. Thank you! We will be returning from a cruise and were planning on EPCOT for that day.

Good to know. Thank you! We will be returning from a cruise and were planning on EPCOT for that day.

It should not have a huge impact. There will be a lane roped off for them with crossing areas, and after 11 or so it should be beginning to thin out enough that it will be easier to cross - and get easier as it gets closer to the cut-off.

Small clarification that the Saturday race is the half, not the full, so runners won't be extending that far into the day. Can't remember the exact half marathon cut off time but a 16 minute/mile pace would be just under 4 hours.

Small clarification that the Saturday race is the half, not the full, so runners won't be extending that far into the day. Can't remember the exact half marathon cut off time but a 16 minute/mile pace would be just under 4 hours.

Good catch. I saw "Marathon" and didn't pay attention to the Saturday thing - having been a runner, I never call anything but a full marathon a marathon, so...

Yeah... The half should be done by 11ish.

We were at Epcot during the full marathon last year and while there were a couple of occasions where we had to wait for runner traffic it was actually really fun.

I have traveled to WDW during marathon weekend and found it less disruptive than MLK weekend (one trip I was there for both and it was very obvious that the crowds picked up for MLK). I agree that you will want to head to the bus stops early if you plan on hitting the parks on Sunday. I didn't notice as much disruption in traffic for the half as I did for the full, and I was very glad the Disney drivers were dealing with it instead of me! I have often gone to Epcot on that Sunday, and although there is a coned off running corridor, it didn't really hamper me too much getting around the park. I would recommend making any ADRs you think you might want, as the TS restaurants seemed to get very busy the night before a race.

We went during this week (also did not know in advance) and it was totally fine. They only way we knew there had been a race was seeing the runners on the bus.

We are also arriving that weekend, on Saturday, but that is a no park day for us, will just relax at resort. Since we are at WLV, we planned MK for Sunday, just a boat ride over to avoid any traffic snarls.

We were there this year on the weekend and week after. Disney was very crowded but that seemed to be more from holiday people than the runners. We simply planned our days by avoiding the parks where the running was taking place and had no issues.

The only thing we noticed was that yes you needed to plan extra time in the morning for the buses, and I don’t mean 15 minutes extra. Not sure if it was the races, Coronado Springs, or just a general decrease in the quality of Disney transportation, but the buses were horrible. They just wouldn’t show up. You’d have 4 buses come through for the same location, and then an hour between buses for another location. We came close to missing a couple of ADR because of it, and I’m a plan extra time in type of person. We probably gave ourselves at least an hour of extra time each morning. For instance, if it was a 30 minute drive. I factored in another 30 to 45 minutes on top of that for getting to the bus stop, from the bus to park, through security, and then through the park to where we were going. Then I gave us another hour cushion just in case for delays on top of that. We usually left 2 hrs before we needed to be somewhere, and we were still late a few times.

Even better ! So happy there are athletes out there who can clarify such matters.....as I am not one. Total Respect for runners, but....with my little corgi legs :dogdance: ... just no personal awareness!! Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter