YMCA of the Rockies - has anyone been there?

amsafko

DIS Veteran
In planning our trip to CO next summer, I've read a lot about this place (specifically the Estes Park resort). Has anyone here stayed there and can you give me your honest feedback? Thanks!

I haven't stayed at YMCA but we have been to Estes Park many times, including this past August. It looks like YMCA has alot of activities, but don't miss the park. There are so many things to see and do. Lots of waterfalls and lakes to hike to. This year we did a half day trip on the Cache La Poudre outside of Fort Collins and was a great introduction to whitewater. One caution if you haven't heard, expect to see a lot of brown trees in the mountains. They have an infestation of Mountain Pine Beatle. It is a naturally occuring pest that kills about 90% of the Lodgepole and Ponderosa Pine trees. I wouldn't let it stop me. Rocky Mountain National Park is our favorite and we will be back.

We stayed there this summer for a family reunion.

We stayed in one of the lodges. I can't remember which one but it was pretty close to the dining hall. The room was OK. It wasn't great but OK. The beds were pretty uncomfortable. I think that is my biggest complaint.

We did some archery classes and the kids liked it. We played some mini golf. They had a small playground that was fun for my kids.

The scenery was beautiful. They also had a place to do arts and crafts. It was really a great place. I spent a ton of time in there. I made earrings for less than what one would normally cost. I made a tie dye shirt and so did the kids. The kids painted pottery. We had a great time there and they have people all over the place to help you with the projects that you are doing. I could have spent even more days there than I did.

We swam in the pool and it was OK too.

Rocky Mountain National Park is not to be missed. It's really beautiful there.

Estes Park was a great little town with some cool shops but also some shops that were full of crap too. We races go karts a few times. The kids really loved that.

Any more questions? I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks for the replies, my question to the last poster would be do you recommend it? See we've gone the past 2 vacations to Disney and stayed 10 days at the Poly. Now, I'm not expecting the Poly but I would like a place that is nice for my husband and I but also has lots of stuff for the kids. We are going back and forth between this place and one of the more expensive all inclusive dude ranches. I prefer saving some money but also want to make the most of our vacation.

Also, how is the food? Oh, and is this place really meant for larger groups (will we as a single family feel out of place, surrounded by youth and church groups?)

Thanks so much for your feedback.

I have been for concerts, and a few conferences. It is a really beautiful location - gorgeous views and very nice facilities. I thought the food was good - large cafeteria style dining - so I don't know what it would be like for smaller groups but I think they have facilities for all sorts of groups.

We have been to both Y Camps - the one in Estes and the one called Snow Mountain Ranch in Granby. They both are fabulous family vacation spots with so much to do for every age group. Both have lodges and cabins. Estes Park has new lodges that rival any other resort and Snow Mountain Ranch has updated their lodge. I have recently stayed in both and they are great. The cabins and family reunion lodges are wonderful too if you are thinking of taking your family. Best of all is that both resorts are destination resorts. There is so much to do that we often don't leave. If you love the Rocky Mountain National Park, the Estes Park Center (YMCA of the Rockies) is surrounded on three sides by the Park so you can hike in and out of the Park. You can sit on the large porch of the Administration building and eat your ice cream from the Rustic Room Cafe and view the snow capped peaks. It is all a dream come true. There is horseback riding, hayrides, sleigh rides at Snow Mountain Ranch in the winter, ice skating, basketball, roller skating, mini golf, library, dining halls with indoor and outdoor patios, a huge craft center, indoor pools and summer conerts. Snow Mountain Ranch in Granby, is building a Yurt Village so that will be another housing option. Free programs of all kinds are available too, with the summer program list being offered is so long it takes awhile to read it! Our family has had four generations at the Y on vacation at the same time - and everyone loved it. I can't reccomend it enough. For more information you can check out their website YMCARockies.org or contact me and I will give you more information. You and your family will love it!

I meant to add to this thread that we have stayed at Disney MANY times over the years, including stays at the POLY. It was wonderful. Equally as wonderful was the YMCA of the Rockies experiences because you are back to nature and nature surrounds you on all sides. The activities and programs planned are mostly free. You mention that you didn't want groups or conferences but I can tell you that even if the groups and conferences are there the focus is also on families and small groups. If you take a cabin you may not even see any groups unless you are walking around the main camp. It certainly isn't as busy as Disney with all the groups and peopled and long lines for the rides with hours of waiting time. Both types of vacations are great but I suggest you try the Y camps for a different experience for you children.

Okay, you sold me. I saw many great reviews but I needed to hear from someone personally. Thank you so much. This will save us a ton of money while allowing us to splurge on other things while we are there.

I didn't realize you could stay there! We stayed in cabins (Swift Current Lodge about a mile away!!) on the Big Thompson a few years ago and also stayed in a motel in Estes Park on another cross country trip!! I love the state of CO especially the area surrounding Rocky Mountain NP!! We have gone cross country 6 times and 5 of them we visited Rocky Mtn NP!! It is my favorite NP I think. There are so many beautiful National Parks that I have been to and overall I love Rocky Mountain!! Have fun!! Let us know on how you liked staying there. Does anyone know if there is camping there as well?

Thanks for the replies, my question to the last poster would be do you recommend it? See we've gone the past 2 vacations to Disney and stayed 10 days at the Poly. Now, I'm not expecting the Poly but I would like a place that is nice for my husband and I but also has lots of stuff for the kids. We are going back and forth between this place and one of the more expensive all inclusive dude ranches. I prefer saving some money but also want to make the most of our vacation.

Also, how is the food? Oh, and is this place really meant for larger groups (will we as a single family feel out of place, surrounded by youth and church groups?)

Thanks so much for your feedback.

I've done WDW and DL (actually the 2 DL trips were part of 2 of the cross country trips from NJ) many, many times. We have gone cross country 6 times as well. A dude ranch is so much fun. We went to one out side of Glacier NP in MT a few years ago. They had a end of season special for less than 1/2 off!!

Having never been to WDW. I can't answer the question about The Poly other than I would suspect that this place is not that. We did like it. But, it wasn't luxury but a nice place.

The food for us was OK. My kids aren't really picky. We did have the 2 meal plan so we were on our own for one of the meals. Breakfast for us was better than dinner. The food is cafeteria style so be prepared for that. It wasn't bad but not the best either.

There are tons of things for everyone to do. It's made for large groups but also small families too. There were groups of all shapes and sizes there. I don't think you will feel left out at all.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter