You Ran the PHM with little Training? Are you Crazy? A 2015 PHM TR! Updated 11/23!!

livsmom04

DIS Veteran
Welcome!!! As you can tell from my title of my trip report I had little training for the Princess Half Marathon unlike how I had planned originally. But the trip report is about to go on and it's about to get spicy...and interesting so hold on for the ride because I might be just a little crazy at this point!!

Introduction:

16481725599_60c26716c4_z_d.jpg

Hello and welcome to my wild and crazy trip report to me, Charlotte running my very first race and half marathon. I chose to run the Princess Half Marathon back in February 2014 when I saw many of my other friends running it but decided to go ahead and sign up for it when it opened up in July of 2014! I have never been the athletic kind and was the kind who tripped over my own two feet. I had never run more than 1 mile without running out of breath and I have been so out of shape for years. Who in their right mind would sign up for a half marathon on a whim just to say they wanted to run it? Yeah that's me! I am 33 years old and I have been married to the love of my life for almost 3 years now. I love Disney World and just started up as an Independent Travel Agent back in October to help with my addiction to Disney World. My favorite park would have to be hands down, Magic Kingdom and have to do that as our first park on every family vacation!

Jason(Hubby):

16642042856_029190c0f3_z_d.jpg

Jason came to the Princess Half Marathon to come support me in my run. He was also the sole financial supporter of this trip and well without him we would not have been able to come down here at all. He loves going to Epcot and he loves to ride Soarin' and Mission Space! He was my supporter through my little training that I did and I have to say that without him I may not have been able to finish the race.

Where did we Stay:

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for the first time and let's just say we fell in love with the room we had and the resort! We have stayed in moderate resorts before but we loved the way this resort was so quiet and yet so peaceful too. It's great for families and honestly it was perfect for our family vacation when we come back in September with our Best Friends for their first time with their kids! Also we had the Royal Guest Room which we loved with a Garden View and ahhh...it was absolutely beautiful!!

That's about all I have for now because I'm exhausted but I will be updating more tomorrow or even Sunday! But for now...it's time to get some shut eye!

Travel Day

Traveling Day & Check In
Today was the day...the day to leave for Disney World for Princess Weekend! It's Friday, February 20th and it's time to get started.

The night before honestly I was too excited to sleep and I didn't go to sleep until after midnight and we were supposed to be leaving around 3am. Um, so yeah that didn't happen!! We didn't actually get up until 3 am EST and we didn't leave the house until around 4am. An hour later but whoops it's ok. No big deal right? Did I mention I made a big deal about not being able to drive and so I may or may not have thrown a fit about driving down there so Jason allowed me to drive first. I was still sleepy but I was so excited that we were going to Disney World! Especially without Olivia! I had already taken Yoda our dog to the vets the day before and he was being boarded for the weekend until Monday. Then we said our goodbye's to mom and to Olivia who apparently didn't go back to sleep but stayed in her room and watched a movie until she saw daylight. Then came back downstairs and got mom back up and stayed up from then on. Ok I'm getting off task here. Haha.

We soon had to stop off in Kenly, NC to fill up the 4Runner and to check the tire pressure. Because my husbands truck doesn't get driven much during the week, it's sometimes a little difficult to check it when he comes home. He is a truck driver so he's gone most of the time and I'm normally driving my minivan. Honestly these past few weeks I've been meaning to drive his vehicle instead since we have gotten winter weather. Makes me want a Tahoe or Suburban more and more now! Off topic I know. I'm bad for this and I'm sorry...it's my ADD! After we filled up and checked the tires, I let Jason drive because I was more interested in controlling the radio than listening to his music which could have put a fish to sleep. So I gave up on the driving and listened to my jams! Let's just say he actually likes the song "Jealous" by Nick Jonas now! :rotfl2: It was still pretty chilly out...no it was still a good -6 out and I told him to get us to Disney fast but safely!!! Not long after I said that I told him it was time to make a pit stop again. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten myself a Kickstart after all. :rolleyes1 That stuff had enough caffeine in it to last me all day long and into the next day. We soon stopped off in Fayetteville and used the bathroom and then headed on down to South Carolina. Again after we saw this:

16480277148_bf1f661f4b_z_d.jpg

I told Jason I had to go again. Yep, but this time I decided to stop drinking all of the drinks completely. We soon came up to around Ridgeland, SC where we decided to get some more air in the tires and we decided to grab a bite to eat from the McDonald's there as well. I went ahead to the bathroom again. lol. My daughter last year when we were at Disney called me a "water buffalo" and so on this trip it pretty much pertained to me. Yeah sad I know. When we pulled into the gas station we happened to come up on a camper that had cut a corner too close and got stuck. They had to take the Suburban off the back of the camper to get the whole camper unstuck. This lasted a good 20 minutes from what we saw...I tried to catch a video of it but was laughing too hard that I couldn't. It looked like something that I would do with my best friend!!!

16481751429_77fbb4e707_z_d.jpg
16641952516_a9a3c5c114_z_d.jpg

Soon after we were back on the road headed towards Georgia, I noticed that I was getting blisters in my mouth and it was getting harder to swallow. Time for some benadryl. I also called to check on Olivia who was still running a fever and thankfully she was feeling ok but thankfully they were out of school due to winter weather. I took a benadryl and laid down to sleep some. Soon it was time to get up and realize that we were close to being near Florida. I slept mostly through Georgia and it was probably a good thing. We were rolling too! Fast forward a few hours and we were soon in Orlando! It was time to head on over to Port Orleans Riverside and check in. We made awesome time and it was only 2:00pm! Sweet! We still had time to head on over to the Expo to check out what was going on and to grab a few things I wanted before going to the parks!!!

Soon we were at Port Orleans Riverside and I was in awe at how pretty it was! I had heard of how pretty this resort was and how so many people really loved it but I had never ventured over to check it out. Now I know exactly how they felt and why they feel that way!

16047952013_70f32ddcfe_z_d.jpg

16045589114_202899805c_z_d.jpg

We soon went in and checked in. We had Krista check us in and she was explaining to us how the magic bands work and I had to explain to her that I already knew how they worked because we used them when we were at Disney World back in September. She looked at us like we were crazy for coming back so soon. :rolleyes1 Since we booked our trip only 10 days from our day we needed to leave, our magic bands were shipped to the resort and waiting for us. I chose blue and Jason chose Red. Yes I have the Anna band from the September but after not being able to find it and thinking Olivia had moved it or it's lost in the van, I decided to go ahead and get a new color. The blue I really liked! May have to get that color again in the near future or when we go back in September! Soon it was time for us to go to our room and find it. We both were afraid we were going to have a room that was far away from the parking but it was in a perfect spot.

We were given room number 9754 and it was close to the gardens and it was also close to the car! We could easily walk to the main building but yet still had a beautiful view! I will post pictures of the room in a seperate post when I get my camera unloaded or locate it. But these photos that I have up here were from my cell phone. :) We soon took our items to the room and we got ready to head on out to the expo! No time for pictures then...it was time to go pick up my race items! Duh!!

16666874582_791ea60e0a_z_d.jpg

Up Next...Expo Time!!!

Last edited:
What an accomplishment Charlotte!! I'm looking forward to hearing your success story with your 1/2.

What an accomplishment Charlotte!! I'm looking forward to hearing your success story with your 1/2.

Thanks for following along Brenda! It's been a long journey to getting to the finish line but was fun and well worth it. :) I may or may not be getting ready to sign up for at least two more halfs. lol and trying to talk Jason into letting me run the Star Wars Half in Disneyland next year. :woohoo:

Excited to follow along!!

Thanks for following! Getting ready to update!!!

That is so awesome. I am the same way, Ive never ran more than a 5k, but seeing all the princess half photos over the last week, I may be trying to sign up for next years.

I'm following along! I am preparing to do the Glass Slipper Challenge next year and my biggest concern is that I won't be able to find enough time to train. I haven't run a half marathon since my freshman year of college, which sadly, was 10 years ago already. Can't wait to hear about your race!

Expo Time
Soon after we dropped off our things at the resort and checked out the room we headed back to the car and headed on over to the Expo which was being held at ESPN Sports Complex! I had never been there and didn't know what to expect. I was so excited that we were going that I had forgotten my signed waiver and had gotten upset over it but then remembered that I could print one out there at the expo which saved me! I really wanted to get a picture taken by the banner showing the Princess Half Marathon but the line was crazy long and I'm impatient!!! So we kept going and I came up on one just before heading on into the expo building.

16481725599_60c26716c4_z_d.jpg

We soon went on into the expo building and I was smiling from ear to ear. I can't believe I was going to do it. I was going to run this race! I was going to complete one of my dreams!! I soon headed downstairs to print my waiver that I left in the room and then headed to go get my packet. I found my bib number which was 10057 and headed to get my packet. I also got my commerative pin that I ordered and headed on over to the runDisney area to see what they had left. I really wanted a Dooney & Bourke Wristlet or Crossbody purse but they were completely sold out! Boo! I was deeply saddened about that. But I guess more money for me to spend somewhere else. Jason brought over a car magnet that I got and I looked for the "I Did It" Princess Half Marathon Shirt in an XL or XXL but they didn't have any. I was so sad. I really wanted one too. I paid for my car magnet and headed on over to the Josten Center to get my running tech shirt and bag for my bag check for the race. I also checked out the SparkleSkirts but didn't get one (even though I could have) and a few other places. I did however get a Sparkly Band which I love!! And I hit up the ClifBar area and grabbed some more Margarita Clif bloks for the race and some KT Tape. I also tried the Clifshots Razz Gel and loved it. I had decided to go ahead and bring a few while on my run.

I did look at the race medals for the Wine & Dine and also for the Star War's Races and they got me excited about wanting to run both of them!

16667899465_e05f5e97b1_z_d.jpg

16047929883_129b7dc929_z_d.jpg

Here is my Expo Haul:

16806129525_e2da906784_z_d.jpg

Up Next...Dinner!

Last edited:
That is so awesome. I am the same way, Ive never ran more than a 5k, but seeing all the princess half photos over the last week, I may be trying to sign up for next years.

Thanks for following along and welcome! I had never run anything before so this was quite a big step for me to do. If I can do it you can do it.

I'm following along! I am preparing to do the Glass Slipper Challenge next year and my biggest concern is that I won't be able to find enough time to train. I haven't run a half marathon since my freshman year of college, which sadly, was 10 years ago already. Can't wait to hear about your race!

Thanks for following and welcome! I'm preparing for the Glass Slipper Challenge as well for next year!!! You will do great and keep up with the running. I figured the run/walk method really works well!!

So excited to read about the rest as a part time runner here...I'd love to do that as a first half marathon too...my hubby is a serious runner but me notsomuch...but to do it at Disney would be so awesome! Congrats!

Joining in! I love reading RunDisney trip reports and can't wait to hear about yours! I also love POR I have stayed there twice and it's one of my favorites.

I totally get the lack of training! My training between Rebel Challenge and Glass Slipper was bad at best with the longest run being all of 8 miles.

Joining along!

Certain race stuff does sell out super quick! I learned my lesson on that when I did Wine & Dine 2013- made sure to go in early this year on purpouse to hit the expo.

Hey! My husband is a truck driver too! (well he was...or kinda is still?) He ruptured a disc in his back and they aren't sure if he'll ever be able to drive a truck again, but he was a truck driver for the last 18 years. :goodvibes

Last year I was so upset when I didn't get a jacket because they had run out! This year I not only preordered one but went pretty early to the Expo to make sure I got what I wanted. You would think they would make more since there is such a demand for it!

So excited to read about the rest as a part time runner here...I'd love to do that as a first half marathon too...my hubby is a serious runner but me notsomuch...but to do it at Disney would be so awesome! Congrats!

Thanks for joining in. My husband is not a runner but would like to be. So after purchasing some new shoes which I will write about on this trip report and my feelings on it hopefully he will start to train along side with me.

Joining in! I love reading RunDisney trip reports and can't wait to hear about yours! I also love POR I have stayed there twice and it's one of my favorites.

Welcome! I have stayed in other Moderates before but I think after staying at POR for the weekend it's become my favorite! Booking my September trip there.

I totally get the lack of training! My training between Rebel Challenge and Glass Slipper was bad at best with the longest run being all of 8 miles.

You got more miles in than I did. I honestly didn't get more than 2 miles if 3 in total. Between the snow, sickness and then my daughter getting sick I just didn't find the time to run.

I'm in! Congrats on the race!

Jill in CO

Thanks! And stay tuned...more to come soon!

Joining along!

Certain race stuff does sell out super quick! I learned my lesson on that when I did Wine & Dine 2013- made sure to go in early this year on purpouse to hit the expo.

Yeah I realized that after this trip. So when the Wine & Dine happens this year I already to my hubby that I want to be down there the day before for the expo!!!

Hey! My husband is a truck driver too! (well he was...or kinda is still?) He ruptured a disc in his back and they aren't sure if he'll ever be able to drive a truck again, but he was a truck driver for the last 18 years. :goodvibes

Last year I was so upset when I didn't get a jacket because they had run out! This year I not only preordered one but went pretty early to the Expo to make sure I got what I wanted. You would think they would make more since there is such a demand for it!

Yeah my husband is not home much because he decided in August to become an Independent Contractor which is nice especially when we want to head to Disney World! So no worries there. But sometimes him being gone is a bummer. I kind of wish I could have ordered an "I Did it" shirt but it's ok. I will get one for the Wine & Dine this year!!!

Stay tuned for an update to happen soon. I am just taking a break from my school work right now and then headed to go pick my daughter up from school. Next week I will be on a break from school which will be really nice!!! But until tomorrow I have finals!

Hey that's awesome that your hubby is going to try running. I've only done 5K's so far too. One day...sigh...who knows when. But the thing is...even walking a half at Disney would be loads of fun lol

Is being in the Expo like being in a candy store? Looks exciting and you must want one of everything! I love the car magnet - what a great way to show pride in your accomplishment. I imagine you would have to get to the Expo right when they open to have the best opportunity to get the swag you want.

I'm so anxious to hear all the details!

Yeah my husband is not home much because he decided in August to become an Independent Contractor which is nice especially when we want to head to Disney World! So no worries there. But sometimes him being gone is a bummer. I kind of wish I could have ordered an "I Did it" shirt but it's ok. I will get one for the Wine & Dine this year!!!

Stay tuned for an update to happen soon. I am just taking a break from my school work right now and then headed to go pick my daughter up from school. Next week I will be on a break from school which will be really nice!!! But until tomorrow I have finals!

Mine owned his own truck for a couple years an was an Owner Operator as well. I'm glad not to be doing that anymore though, the truck repairs, gas, and taxes had him making what he made as a company driver anyway! It was a HUGE adjustment for us all to have him come home after 18 years on the road! I was ready though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter