"You STILL Haven't Told Your Parents We're Going?!" A May 2010 Pre-Trip Report

somethingblue

Mouseketeer
Hi there!
Welcome to my Pre-Trip report! I've been feeling the need to gab about all the planning I've done to people who actually care, so here I am, starting a PTR with only 20 DAYS until we leave for Disney!! I'm hoping to get a few readers who will follow be over when I write my Trip Report and Dining Reviews so I'm not just blathering to no one!

First things first, introductions.

24051_1430753570147_1272109286_1269429_3934689_n.jpg

Well, here we are! That's me, Katy, and that's my boyfriend, Matt. We are both college students who are studying to be teachers (myself with Early Childhood Education and Matt with secondary math). The two of us have been dating for a little over a year now and are using this trip to Disney to celebrate a couple of different things: one, our anniversary, two, surviving another year of school, and three, moving out together this summer.

a158e00e.jpg

Yes, that is a dinosaur! This is in front of a museum in our home town.

Me (Katy): I'm studying to be a Pre-K teacher or work for a non-profit that benefits children. I am considering getting my certification in special education as well as EC-6 because I have a soft spot for children who overcome obstacles. I currently work as a babysitter and also at the nation's oldest amusement park. We have 9 rides and all of them are 80 years old, original to the park. I'm the kind of girl who loves to laugh and learn. I can be very silly, especially when I'm meowing like a cat for no apparent reason. (Who needs a reason to be a kitten?!) I have a lot of quirks and some unusual medical ailments, but I try to be the best girlfriend I can be. I LOVE Ben Folds, giraffes, Sanrio characters, writing my food blog (link in my signature!) and of course, Disney World! This will be my fourth trip to the World but my first with Matt.

6692ef59.jpg

Matt: My awesome boyfriend! Matt is a mathematics major and wants to teach at the high school level. He works nearly full time as a Shift Manager at Starbucks. No surprise, he is a huge lover of espresso and tea. Believe me, this guy makes a mean coffee drink! Matt is also a vegetarian who is making small steps toward veganism. Music is definitely one of Matt's passions; he is constantly searching for the newest band, a leak of the latest albums, etc. His Zune is overflowing with bands you've never heard of! Matt is also obsessed with Sanrio and meowing like a kitten, which is convenient for me! This will be his first trip ever to Disney World.

Now you might be wondering my the title of this PTR is "You STILL haven't told your parent's we're going?!"
You see, Matt and I still live with our parents. Not unheard of for two college kids, but still not exactly the ideal situation, especially considering that my mom is insane and his parents are absurd. Now don't get me wrong, we both love our parents, but they both make certain aspects of our adult lives very difficult on a daily basis. For instance, my mom is unstable and acts like a teenager most of the time. She loves me, but she hasn't treated me like a child since I was 14. His parents, on the other hand, are the kind that just can't cut the cord. They won't even let the man do his own laundry (and he wants to do it himself!) and they seem to be unable to understand anything he chooses to do. Nothing is ever good enough for them.

So, as you might have already guessed, Matt hasn't told his parents we're going to Disney World...despite the fact that I have had this trip booked since Christmas Eve! I keep bugging him about it, and nagging him, but he's just not up for the confrontation. So in the next few days it is my goal to tell his parents about our trip in a way that will make them excited for him as opposed to judgmental and snarky. (Yeah...good luck with that, self!)

Did you make it all the way through my first post?
Really, your eyes aren't bleeding yet? Good! Because next I'm posting pictures of my homemade autograph book and trip journal! Please post some comments if you're reading so far. :cutie:

I am in for your pre-trip report. You caught my eye with your title. I, too, am a teacher. I teach middle school, Language Arts.

Great introduction :thumbsup2. I am eager to find out how Matt's parents deal with the news of the trip.

You will have fun introducing him to the World! Where are you staying during the trip? How long will you trip be?

THE KITTENS' PLAN

May 10 - 17
Pop Century Resort

May 10
- Arrive in Orlando around 7:15 PM, hop on the Magical Express and head to Pop Century! Nothing planned this day except to possibly go to Downtown Disney to grab some WPE!

May 11 - Epcot! Lunch at Le Cellier; Lotus Cafe or Sunshine Seasons for dinner. Must ride Soarin', Living With The Land, and Spaceship Earth!

May 12 - Animal Kingdom! Dinner at Jiko; Pizzafari or Restuarantasaurus for lunch. Must ride Kilimanjaro Safari and see FOTLK and Finding Nemo The Musical.

May 13 - Magic Kingdom! Late breakfast at Kona Cafe (hopefully after making rope drop and catching a few rides!); Columbia Harbour House or Cosmic Ray's for lunch/dinner. Must ride Splash Mountain, Pirates Of The Carribean, and see Philharmagic.

May 14 - Epcot! Lunch at Akershus; Tangerine Cafe or Refreshment Outpost for dinner. Must ride Test Track and explore the World Showcase.

May 15
- Magic Kingdom! Dinner at Crystal Palace; Main Street Bakery or Eggroll Wagon for breakfast/lunch. Must ride Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, and Teacups.

May 16
- Hollywood Studios! Dinner at Mama Melrose; Starring Rolls or Pizza Planet for lunch. Must ride TSM and visit the Animation Studio.[

May 17 - Our flight home leaves at 6:30 PM, so the Magical Express will pick us up at 3:30. Depending on what time we get up we might go to DTD to do some last minute shopping, or just hang out around the resort.​

I am in for your pre-trip report. You caught my eye with your title. I, too, am a teacher. I teach middle school, Language Arts.

Great introduction :thumbsup2. I am eager to find out how Matt's parents deal with the news of the trip.

You will have fun introducing him to the World! Where are you staying during the trip? How long will you trip be?

My first follower! Thank you for leaving a comment!
I just posted a mini-itinerary so everyone will know what our plans are. Pop Century, May 10-17. I stayed at Pop Century last year with my mom and sister and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping we get a refurbished room with a flat screen TV! But of course I'll be happy with anything.

I will be updating when we break the news. Cross your fingers for us!

Well, not a lot of comments, but I have a few views so onward I go!

I am a big fan of autograph books. My first trip was with my ex boyfriend and his mom and both of us had home-made autograph books. They were a huge hit with the characters! I made my own last time and have done it again for this trip...but now, IN TECHNICOLOUR!!

4538665573_00646a773f.jpg

4538666209_374fbba3da.jpg

I used pages that were just a little bigger than 4 x 6 that I found at Michael's. The cover text was printed out on sticker paper and then stuck on, and the back signatures were stickers I had. For the pages I printed out Donatalie's designs on the same coloured cardstock. I took it to Kinko's to get just the front and back cover laminated for some extra stability, and of course to get it bound together as well. It was super cheap to get this done...like less than $5!

For the past few weeks I've been on the look out for some sort of organizer that I could use to keep our travel documents in and also a journal to record dining notes and to journal about our daily events for the Trip Report! Well I couldn't find anything I liked so I decided to try to make my own.

I got this $1 journal at Michael's and decided to try my luck altering it. I figured if it didn't work it would only be one dollar down the drain. There were other colours and letters, but W made since...it is Walt Disney World after all! So I got some paper and started altering. Here are my results...

4539258841_a24f155672.jpg

Those hearts aren't really there, I'm just hiding my address from all you weird Dissers!

4539297006_b65d09b759.jpg

So, what do you guys think?
I'm not sure how my little pockets will work to hold papers...the glue might come undone. We'll see what happens I suppose!

I like your journal idea. It willl be handy for taking notes and to keep your receipts.

Cute and resourceful ideas

I went in early May once and the weather was great. The crowds weren't bad either. :thumbsup2

Lunch at LeCelliers will be great! We ate lunch there last summer and it was really nice. We went in the first seating and there were only a couple of other tables filled. It was nice. By the time we left the place had really filled up. So, have you decided on what you plan to order at LeCellier?

Just hanging around :upsidedowwaiting for a new post. :surfweb:

So, tell, TELL! Has Matt told his parents yet about the trip?

I'm in...I made pockets like that on a scrapbook I did for my parents that has all of our Disney trips since 1988! The pockets are holding up really well!

I love your journal idea!! I'm definitely heading to Michael's to look for this :)

I see you leave tomorrow, enjoy your trip. I can't wait to see your report when you return!

Okay everyone!

Sorry for the delay in posting an update, guys! It's been crazy with finals and packing, but we're all ready to go! Our plane leaves at 12:15 PM tomorrow and we should be in Orlando by 7:15. I am so excited.

I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seat (because really, you have nothing better to do =P) wondering if we finally told Matt's parents that we were going and the answer is...yes! He finally told them on Wednesday of last week with just six days until take off. They took it surprisingly well, though "excited" is hardly the right word for their reaction. More like...apathy, twinged with a bit of self righteousness. Matt told me that his father's reaction went something like this.

"Well you know, there's Disney World, and that's the main park. And then they have this place called Epcot Center. And then...there's Sea World."

You can't argue with them. Just smile and nod, and laugh your *** off later!

Unfortunately, on Friday while at an AWESOME Ben Folds concert, my beloved camera of six years died. The camera that I basically learned to take photos with...kupoot. It was really disappointing, but at the same time, I tried to look on the bright side. Better for it to die before Disney than during, right? Right! So I spent yesterday running around the city (after dealing with a flat tire) trying to find a relatively inexpensive camera. I ended up buying a Canon Powershot 3000 IS. It's...okay. I'm still getting used to it. The display screen is painfully grainy, but the pictures turn out alright. I have 30 days to return it, so if it doesn't work out, back to Walmart it goes!

With this new camera I took some photos of my luggage. Let's see how they turned out.

4593906735_fe90e27f32.jpg

This is my carry on bag. Adorable, right?

4593905223_19a16c1498.jpg

4593903473_b7375b7177.jpg

Yes, my room is a wreck. What can I say, I'm a college student! But everything is all packed except a few pairs of undies and my toothbrush. We leave tomorrow and I'm so excited! I'm going to take lots of notes and lots of pictures and come back with not only a dining report, but a trip report too!

Wish us luck, Dissers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter