Your favorite AbD trip?

Cali trip ended up being much much better than expected, and my mom is willing to overlook truly horrendous pre-trip customer service to consider another AbD trip just the 2 of us. We think we have narrowed it down to Norway or Egypt for a second trip, but we are curious what other (international) trips are extremely popular. New Zealand looks great, but require too much vacation time. China is in the mix down the road for DD. Is there anywhere else that shouldn't be missed?

Favorite "foreign" (we are in the US) ABD is probably Viva Italia (Rome, Florence & Venice). Also very much enjoyed Northern Italy & Switzerland.

We've done China and it was good. But very "different" and given the current state of the world, I wouldn't put that high on the list.

We've done China and it was good. But very "different" and given the current state of the world, I wouldn't put that high on the list.
Good to know. Asia really isn't on the list in general given the current state of the world, though hopefully we can put it back on the list someday.

The New Zealand trip is "new", and to my knowledge, no departures of it have run yet, so no-one has a first-hand knowledge of the trip.

Personally, my absolute favorite is Japan, but it's going to be a while until that one goes again. When it does, it should be high on your list!

Next on my list would be the Greece trip. It's really a fabulous itinerary, an amazing country, wonderful hotels, just overall a great trip. I would rate it *very* highly.

Sayhello

The New Zealand trip is "new", and to my knowledge, no departures of it have run yet, so no-one has a first-hand knowledge of the trip.

Personally, my absolute favorite is Japan, but it's going to be a while until that one goes again. When it does, it should be high on your list!

Next on my list would be the Greece trip. It's really a fabulous itinerary, an amazing country, wonderful hotels, just overall a great trip. I would rate it *very* highly.

Sayhello
Thanks! I read your Greece trip report and thought the pictures were fantastic.

My DH still has family in Japan so we will definitely end up there someday. Was there something specific about the trip that you loved or just being in Japan? We had tickets to go in 2020 as with DH's entire extended family but unfortunately that didn't work out for obvious reasons. I wish there were a Tokyo Disney Escape that we could sign up for. I tried to look for a VIP tour there a couple of years ago and apparently they aren't available in Japan.

Thanks! I read your Greece trip report and thought the pictures were fantastic.

My DH still has family in Japan so we will definitely end up there someday. Was there something specific about the trip that you loved or just being in Japan? We had tickets to go in 2020 as with DH's entire extended family but unfortunately that didn't work out for obvious reasons. I wish there were a Tokyo Disney Escape that we could sign up for. I tried to look for a VIP tour there a couple of years ago and apparently they aren't available in Japan.
Glad you enjoyed my report! :)

It was a combination of Japan being a fabulous place, the Japanese people being amazing, seeing places that were totally not on my radar (Shirikawa-go, Miyajima Island) and just a really great mix activities and locales. Starting the trip with the Rickshaw tour in the Bamboo forest of Kyoto was one of the most amazing starts to a trip I've ever done! I just really, really loved it!

The first year they did the Japan ABD, they offered an add-on package to Tokyo Disney, that included your hotel, entrance and a ton of fast-passes, plus a few other perks, but they did not appear to offer it after that. It was not VIP, but more like the Disneyland Paris add-on. From what I've seen, ABD generally only does Escapes in places where DCL also cruises, so that they can be used as add-ons to the cruises, also.

Sayhello

Glad you enjoyed my report! :)

It was a combination of Japan being a fabulous place, the Japanese people being amazing, seeing places that were totally not on my radar (Shirikawa-go, Miyajima Island) and just a really great mix activities and locales. Starting the trip with the Rickshaw tour in the Bamboo forest of Kyoto was one of the most amazing starts to a trip I've ever done! I just really, really loved it!

The first year they did the Japan ABD, they offered an add-on package to Tokyo Disney, that included your hotel, entrance and a ton of fast-passes, plus a few other perks, but they did not appear to offer it after that. It was not VIP, but more like the Disneyland Paris add-on. From what I've seen, ABD generally only does Escapes in places where DCL also cruises, so that they can be used as add-ons to the cruises, also.

Sayhello
Maybe that's what I'm remembering. I definitely looked at AbD when I was planning our Japan family trip, and it has been a long time coming. I would be willing to pay up for hotel/park entrance/lots of anytime LL tickets. I really don't want to try to deal with Genie+ in Japanese.

Maybe that's what I'm remembering. I definitely looked at AbD when I was planning our Japan family trip, and it has been a long time coming. I would be willing to pay up for hotel/park entrance/lots of anytime LL tickets. I really don't want to try to deal with Genie+ in Japanese.
As far as I can tell, Tokyo Disney Resort still has Fastpass, and does not have Genie+. I haven't seen anything that indicates they are planning on moving to the Genie+ model. When we were there, they still had a paper-based Fastpass system.

Sayhello

I haven’t yet been on as many AbD as some on the boards, but I totally agree with @sayhello that Japan was amazing! It will be very hard to top, I think. I still smile every time I think about it, or whenever I see cherry blossoms.

Our favorite ABD trips were the older ones where we didn't have to sign pages of documents promising to pay the company's attorney's fees and expenses and indemnify the company if we somehow get sick, and not to use the company's name in any way and that we agree that they have fully performed a trip if it gets cancelled on day one, and all the other garbage that sucks the life and joy out of a trip, which we received and had to sign after the paid in full. "Gotcha!" The second more problematic "agreement" comes after the paid in full time.

We had no issues with the standard releases, yes, you might get hurt, and yes you acknowledge the risks. Those were fine, appropriate and no problem.

We've already taken 7 trips, and fully paid for two more. Several agents in the travel field have suggested other companies that are not so married to their lawyers; we will follow that directive. Indeed, I'm now hoping that New Zealand gets cancelled by them before travel.

Those were great good old days. And great trips.

Well, I hope for the sake of all of us signed up for one of the New Zealand trips that no other ones are canceled!
Our favorite ABD trips were the older ones where we didn't have to sign pages of documents promising to pay the company's attorney's fees and expenses and indemnify the company if we somehow get sick, and not to use the company's name in any way and that we agree that they have fully performed a trip if it gets cancelled on day one, and all the other garbage that sucks the life and joy out of a trip, which we received and had to sign after the paid in full. "Gotcha!" The second more problematic "agreement" comes after the paid in full time.

We had no issues with the standard releases, yes, you might get hurt, and yes you acknowledge the risks. Those were fine, appropriate and no problem.

We've already taken 7 trips, and fully paid for two more. Several agents in the travel field have suggested other companies that are not so married to their lawyers; we will follow that directive. Indeed, I'm now hoping that New Zealand gets cancelled by them before travel.

Those were great good old days.

Our first one (Italy/Switzerland) was special because, well, it was the first one. The surprise of all the "hidden" perks of traveling with ABD were new to us at the time. I think the first two hotels that we stayed at (Regina Palace-Stressa and Mont Cervin-Zermatt) were wonderful for us because it was a nice change from the usual brand hotels. We also appreciated how the guides made it fun for guests of all ages, which is crucial when traveling with young kids. The views and mixture of culture, food and activities is a nice mix for us.

I think Australia, Ecuador/Galapoagos (now discontinued), Costa Rica and Italy are our other top ABDs. Costa Rica and Italy get knocked down slightly because pre-COVID they ran at full capacity (40 guests) but were fun nonetheless.

Our Peru trip was our favorite trip closely followed our South Africa ABD.

Manchu Picchu was fantastic and the chef that we had at the hotel was really good. And the first night dinner with the entertainment. Actually, everything was good. That trip is why I’ve been on so many ABD trips. It was fabulous! (Been to the Galapagos, South Africa, China, Southeast Asia, Backstage Magic with ABD also but loved Peru the most)

Our first one (Italy/Switzerland) was special because, well, it was the first one. The surprise of all the "hidden" perks of traveling with ABD were new to us at the time. I think the first two hotels that we stayed at (Regina Palace-Stressa and Mont Cervin-Zermatt) were wonderful for us because it was a nice change from the usual brand hotels. We also appreciated how the guides made it fun for guests of all ages, which is crucial when traveling with young kids. The views and mixture of culture, food and activities is a nice mix for us.

I think Australia, Ecuador/Galapoagos (now discontinued), Costa Rica and Italy are our other top ABDs. Costa Rica and Italy get knocked down slightly because pre-COVID they ran at full capacity (40 guests) but were fun nonetheless.

FWIW Ecuador/Galapagos is kind of back. They've been decoupled but it does mention on the Amazon portion that you either fly home or continue on in the Galapagos.

Those were great good old days. And great trips.
I couldn't decide whether to do a laugh emoji or an angry emoji. It's so bad that it's comical. But I agree with you. My favorite ABDs are the older ones where my glasses were a lot more rosy.

To the OP ... I think we've done 7? Our first was way back in the early days--2007, I think. If you read through these boards (and the trip reports), you will see the a number of us on this board did Scotland the first year it was offered, and it was amazing. The itinerary is completely different now so it's not a real comparison. Right up at the top of our list is China (2017) and then ever-so-slightly behind is Japan (2019). But really all three of those trips were fantastic and it was little things that separated them from. We also really enjoyed Greece, Ireland, and Backstage Magic. The one that I didi not enjoy was ABD Baltic Add-on and that's because ABD decided to break their own group size limit to accommodate a large family, and allowed 49 people on the trip (plus the two guides made 51 people for the typical two restaurant bathrooms). It was a total cattle call and a rip off IMO. Most of what we did was pretty much city tours and things you could do on your own.

FWIW Ecuador/Galapagos is kind of back. They've been decoupled but it does mention on the Amazon portion that you either fly home or continue on in the Galapagos.
Suprisingly, we really enjoyed the sights near Quito, the flower farm and the equator monuments. It seems like all have been pretty much removed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter