Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

Greg K.

Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon
...take pictures at a church service on Sunday.

I've been asked to take some snapshots at our parish's confirmation mass this weekend. It's for our church bulletin. Nothing fancy. Okay. I did that a couple weeks ago, for first communion, and some turned out nicely, but too many were -- despite my best efforts -- blurry.

I'll be using my beloved Pentax dslr, and a Sigma 18-125 lens. There should be a fair amount of "church light," and day light streaming through our stained glass windows. Any suggestions on how I can minimize blur this weekend? I tried to steady my shots last time by leaning against a huge stone column, but that didn't seem to help all that much.

I'd prefer not to use a tripod (I only have a tiny fit-in-a-fannypack portable one anyway).

Suggestions welcome! Please! :rolleyes1

I assume you're not using a flash - and I am not familiar with the Pentax performance profile - but if you are using available light - are you setting the ISO at the limit of speed before notable noise appears - for the size enlargements you're donating?

I've shot several church functions and posted substantial collages with 4x6s surrounding a couple of 8x10 and 12x18 prints. I would encourage you to steady your shots against convenient fixed or solid objects - walls - tall chairs - pillars if any are present - or I would consider a tripod or monopod. Then in low light with lower speed you would have a better chance for tack sharp images given that blur is an issue. Also - you could try double checking your shutter speeds are fast enough for the focal lenth you are relying on.

There's a start.... I'm sure others will chime in to correct me or offer advice where I've left it out!

Cheers and good luck! :thumbsup2

With ISO 1600 I don't think you'll have any problem. For my daughter's first communion I use ISO1600 with f/2.8 lens and I still can get 1/250 sec. So with the 5.6 lens you'll get 1/125 sec. It's risky considering you may be using 1/125 at 125mm, but if you are the appointed photographer, you can ask to be positioned closer to the Altar so you don't need to use 125mm focal length then you'll be really safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter