Your thoughts on current resale prices

loritemp

Celebrating my birthday in style...Disney Style!
I was hoping for some opinions from veterans. My Dh and I have decided a DVC memebrship would be great for our family. And we think we are settled on BWV (thanks to all the great info on pros and cons we read on these threads...oh and yes, we have been there!!) SO my question is, are the deals currently listed on the resale websites typical or are they still in a low range due to the economy? I am asking because we know we won't be going on a vacation for at least a year and a half (another baby on the way!!) and we figured we would just save save save till we were ready to pull the trigger so we would have less to finance. But just wondering if anyone thinks the cost will go up a lot in teh next year or so. I know no one has a crystal ball, just looking for advice from those in the know!!

Also, for those of you who financed, did you go through the companies listed on the sites or find private financing?

Take a look at the usual resale spots. Prices are going to keep falling as more inventory goes on the resale market. There are lots of stripped contracts out there - people who bought there DVC going on one last vacation (using up their points) and then putting it out there for resale with no points coming until 2012.

I noticed a 100 point AKV contract yesterday for only $80/pt that was incredibly attractive.

I just purchased resale for VGC at $84 pp and can't imagine getting it lower than that. I think a lot of it depends on when you are financially ready to make the purchase as good deals are almost always had on anything if you are patient. From the research I have done....many people are getting "good deals" lately.

I was hoping for some opinions from veterans. My Dh and I have decided a DVC memebrship would be great for our family. And we think we are settled on BWV (thanks to all the great info on pros and cons we read on these threads...oh and yes, we have been there!!) SO my question is, are the deals currently listed on the resale websites typical or are they still in a low range due to the economy? I am asking because we know we won't be going on a vacation for at least a year and a half (another baby on the way!!) and we figured we would just save save save till we were ready to pull the trigger so we would have less to finance. But just wondering if anyone thinks the cost will go up a lot in teh next year or so. I know no one has a crystal ball, just looking for advice from those in the know!!

Also, for those of you who financed, did you go through the companies listed on the sites or find private financing?

You may also want to give Disney a call and see what they have available... you just never know and depending on your use year you could end up with 2009 pt to boot!

In my opinion if the number of resale buyers start to outnumber the number of sellers than the available inventory will decrease and prices should start to increase slightly.

In my opinion if the number of sellers keep outnumbering the number of buyers then the prices will stay where they are or slowly decrease.

Best of luck in your search for points. If you haven't contacted The Timeshare Store, Inc.® already please feel free to email us at sales@dvcstore.com with your full name and we will be happy to add you to our distribution list. When the new listings become available you would then be sent an email.

Thanks,
Jason

Because you will not be vacationing for a while you can keep watching for a really great deal on a stripped contract. Or you can monitor the resale sites to see when a rebound in prices begins and jump on a good contract quickly. But your greatest savings in ownership would be to finance as little as possible, so your plan to save, save, save and buy later may be the best. Congrats on the new baby to come and good luck in your purchase. Hope to be welcoming you some day as a BWV neighbor.

Time is on your side, but also keep in mind if you want to book at the 11-month mark. If so, then you will need to buy 12-13 months before you want your first vacation. So if you are looking at 18 months, then you are looking at a 5-6 month window, which is still plenty of time, but not quite as much as you might have thought.

My 7 month window is in two weeks. I just sent in the final paperwork and am waiting for the seller to get in gear and do their part. I hope it is all done in time to book a vacation. I wasn't even planning on this timing, thinking that I had tons of time, but those long booking windows kind of matter too.

I think both resale prices and Disney-direct prices will continue to go down for some time. Many economists think there is no recovery in sight and that things will get somewhat worse before they get better. The recent sharp stock market downturn is only one indicator of where the financial people think the economy is headed.

Timeshares are a luxury purchase, and in tough economic times, regular working families forgo luxury purchases. With DVC in particular, I think the heavy reliance on financed sales (+/- 75% of all direct DVC sales were financed by Disney's finance arm) has already resulted in high foreclosure rates. And those rates are likely to continue to add inventory to either the resale market or to Disney's own inventory of points they need to sell.

At this point, I don't see anything on the horizon that might cause DVC resale prices to stabilize, much less increase.

Thank you all so much for your opinions and experience. My DH and I are so excited about this, I think it will make it very easy to save :goodvibes I did fill out a form with the Timeshare store and already got contacted, talk about great customer service!!! So, we will keep our eyes peeled, save our butts off and hopefully be part of the DVC family soon! First drink is on me on our first DVC trip folks :woohoo:

Thank you all so much for your opinions and experience. My DH and I are so excited about this, I think it will make it very easy to save :goodvibes I did fill out a form with the Timeshare store and already got contacted, talk about great customer service!!! So, we will keep our eyes peeled, save our butts off and hopefully be part of the DVC family soon! First drink is on me on our first DVC trip folks :woohoo:

I'll take you up on that offer, just tell me when....;)

You may want to check with **********.com also. I have bought 2 resale contracts through them and they have excellent CS as well as TTS. Good Luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter