Zero Enforcement of Dress Code @ Palo

I'm not talking about Pineapple Willy's though. I'm talking about award-winning fine dining establishments. Things are trending more casual overall, and I think that the notion of a dress code being an integral part of a venue's experience is becoming more and more an idea of the past. In a few years, this entire conversation may very well be a moot point.
Right, so the vibe of those places is casual dress, and I'm sure it works great for them. Other venues, like Palo, are designed to be enhanced by a dress code, and they are. But I'm a live and let live kind of guy. I'm not sitting in Palo looking at other diners' clothes for something to be mad about.

As someone who wears a suit or similar business-casual clothes to work (in the office, grumble grumble) every day of the week, the absolute last thing I want to do on vacation is wear work clothes. Vacation, for me, does not include dressing like I am going to work. If you are a medical professional and wear scrubs 5 days a week, would you really want to wear scrubs on vacation too?

A nice polo shirt and a pair of black jeans is my default Palo outfit, but also, I do not care what anyone else wears. My enjoyment of Palo is in no way affected by how other people dress.
Exactly this. We are all paying the same amount to be there and should be allowed to enjoy it all the same.

Right! How is it in any form considered racist to dress up? I have been around many different cultures/races in 'dress up' situations and they 'all' dressed up - whatever that meant to them. We don't all dress up the same - how dull. The key words are dress up - everyone knows what that means. The dumbing down of all humanity started many years ago in so many ways.

I enjoy dressing up for dinner but a vacation is meant to relax and enjoy yourself. Dress in what you feel comfortable in. I never pay attention to how people dress for dinner but I must admit to being surprised at how some come in to the show before dinner. I usually leave those clothes at home in case I have to paint a room or whatever. It's all good though.

I enjoy dressing up for dinner but a vacation is meant to relax and enjoy yourself. Dress in what you feel comfortable in. I never pay attention to how people dress for dinner but I must admit to being surprised at how some come in to the show before dinner. I usually leave those clothes at home in case I have to paint a room or whatever. It's all good though.
One packing hack that is commonly mentioned is: pack your oldest clothes so you can throw them away after wearing them instead of bringing them back. Frees up space for souvenirs in the luggage. Maybe that’s the clothes you see. 😉🤣

At the end of the day, money talks. Disney made the change because they thought it would make them more money (appeal to a wider audience), nothing else matters.
The cruise industry is both pushing towards luxury experiences at the same time as adjusting to the casualness that cruisers are wanting more and more. People are more than willing to part with money but they also don't necessarily want to be in ball gowns, tux and more the same as in the past. The number of people who do want to dress up to the nines IMO is getting smaller and smaller and cruise lines are hearing that.

FWIW I think there's a line between more casualness than the past and straight up casual.

The cruise industry is both pushing towards luxury experiences at the same time as adjusting to the casualness that cruisers are wanting more and more. People are more than willing to part with money but they also don't necessarily want to be in ball gowns, tux and more the same as in the past. The number of people who do want to dress up to the nines IMO is getting smaller and smaller and cruise lines are hearing that.

FWIW I think there's a line between more casualness than the past and straight up casual.

I love a good ball gown, but I don't think I've worn one (aside from my wedding gown) since my friend's black tie wedding 15 years ago (and it was my old senior prom dress)...but when I wear a ball gown, I wear a ball gown, we're talking cupcake dress with taffeta and everything. I'm not packing that on an airplane to bring on a ship for a 3 hour meal 😂

I do wish they would spell out the shoes more clearly, my husband is still miffed about having to change into his sneakers for brunch.

As someone who wears a suit or similar business-casual clothes to work (in the office, grumble grumble) every day of the week, the absolute last thing I want to do on vacation is wear work clothes. Vacation, for me, does not include dressing like I am going to work. If you are a medical professional and wear scrubs 5 days a week, would you really want to wear scrubs on vacation too?

A nice polo shirt and a pair of black jeans is my default Palo outfit, but also, I do not care what anyone else wears. My enjoyment of Palo is in no way affected by how other people dress.
These threads always devolve into people acting like someone is trying to force them to wear dress clothes on vacation. Nope, wear whatever you want. It's polite to respect the dress code of certain venues though, if they have one, and people with basic manners will do so. Plenty of people don't though. Certainly nobody will make you.

I love this thread. Lot's of opinions. I like to dress, even for the mains. We adhere to the Palo dress code-because it enhances our experience. While I may notice at first glance what someone may be wearing if it is eye catching-due to how beautiful/sharp dressed they may be or if they are in pirate attire, it is quickly forgotten as I enjoy my own experience. It's my vacation I want to enjoy. Not going to let someone's flip flops ruin it! 😂😂😂

Having worked in the hospitality industry, if there is a dress code, thats fine. It is up to the establishment to enforce the dress code, it is not up to the customers to enforce the dress code. The enforcing of a dress code or not has no relevance to the quality of food or service. Customers judging other customers for what they are wearing is CLASSIST and offensive. If the establishment has no problem with how a person is dressed, then so what. As long as the person has the financial means to pay for the food, then thats all that matters.

These threads always devolve into people acting like someone is trying to force them to wear dress clothes on vacation. Nope, wear whatever you want. It's polite to respect the dress code of certain venues though, if they have one, and people with basic manners will do so. Plenty of people don't though. Certainly nobody will make you.
Some places absolutely will refuse service to you if you do not meet their dress code (or make you change to meet their dress code). Not all places, but some do for sure.

Right! How is it in any form considered racist to dress up? I have been around many different cultures/races in 'dress up' situations and they 'all' dressed up - whatever that meant to them. We don't all dress up the same - how dull. The key words are dress up - everyone knows what that means. The dumbing down of all humanity started many years ago in so many ways.
It's not necessarily "dressing up" that's considered racist. It's some dress codes that are considered racist. It's usually more dress codes for companies/work. One common example is dress codes that ban hairstyles popular in the African-American community.

I agree, dress codes that just ask for a category of dress are usually fine (though I don't know I agree with you that everyone will know what it means). It's the ones that get specific and can be ethnocentric that are more problematic.

Some places absolutely will refuse service to you if you do not meet their dress code (or make you change to meet their dress code). Not all places, but some do for sure.
True but those places are a dying breed for sure, especially on cruise ships. The public has spoken and strict dress code is not what people want (in general).

I can’t believe how some people show up to the evening show either. When we were on the wish we went up to the balcony, found great seats and then a whole family in skimpy swimwear (no coverups) sat in front of us. You could smell the sunscreen and they had plates of food. We immediately got up and found other seats because that would have ruined the whole experience for us. So I guess there is no dress code for the main theater.
Also in MM people were getting food in swimwear, no coverups. I’m sorry but it was disgusting, now out on the pool deck that’s a different story.

I just got off of a wonderful three night cruise on Dream out of Fort Lauderdale and wanted to give a brief report out of what I encountered during my Palo brunch. When I was in Meridian waiting to be seated I noticed a fair amount of people waiting wearing t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers and assumed that they were waiting for a tasting seminar, however, one by one the groups were called into Palo. When it was my time to get seated, my wife and I were seated between two tables of people all wearing t-shirts. And by t-shirts I mean the kind with graphics on them that you would see people wearing in the parks. I was curious if others have noticed a complete disregard of the dress code since it has been recently relaxed to include shorts, or if this was kind of a one off thing. But for the first time ever, I felt a bit out of place wearing a jacket and a tie at Palo. I do want to conclude that the meal was absolutely fantastic and so was our server. I usually always wear a suit to Palo but I feel like next time I'm going to go a little more casual so I don't feel so out of place.
Six pages in and wanted to circle back to the OP. I highlighted the part to where the brunch dress code was not adhered.
IMG_1134.jpeg
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/palo-steakhouse/

MDR is pretty much come as you are, but Palo is asking you, at brunch, to refrain from wearing t-shirts. Yes, it is up to the Palo dining manager to enforce the dress code; how hard is it to pack a short-sleeved polo shirt that can be reworn?

I love a good ball gown, but I don't think I've worn one (aside from my wedding gown) since my friend's black tie wedding 15 years ago (and it was my old senior prom dress)...but when I wear a ball gown, I wear a ball gown, we're talking cupcake dress with taffeta and everything. I'm not packing that on an airplane to bring on a ship for a 3 hour meal 😂

I do wish they would spell out the shoes more clearly, my husband is still miffed about having to change into his sneakers for brunch.
We managed to pack my ballgown, my daughter’s ballgown, my semiformal, daughter’s semiformal, and my husband’s tuxedo all in one side of a medium sized suitcase. Those dresses really smoosh down easily. I bring one of my ballgowns on every cruise that has a formal night. The ship only charges like $10 for pressing a gown - well worth the cost.

I am still of the belief that clothes should reflect the environment/decor of a venue (and vice-versa). Let’s quit making elegant/dressy ships if the guests are going to dress for Wal-Mart. (The revision of the marble floors on Magic’s Deck 3 and the Promenade Lounge to Soul Cat have done just that).

I have accepted that people are gonna do what they want attitude, but I do appreciate seeing well-dressed couples in Palo.

Lest we forget, Palo is not included in the cruise. Guests opt in. A dress code could be enforced.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter