Zika cancellations

suebeelin

DIS Veteran
Wonder if Disney is experiencing a downturn bc of Zika.

My SIL was scheduled to go to DW in mid October. She cancelled her trip in early September... I know she borrowed points but it may have been returned to the 2017 use year with a Drs note.

She's 3mo pregnant.

I would have probably done the same thing.

I can see women and their partners that could be affected by Zika canceling a trip to Florida. It just makes sense to be cautious. However there are a lot more guests that would not be affected if they are infected by Zika, I think the numbers would be a small number to really impact the resorts and parks because many pregnant women already don't want to be in the heat of Florida while pregnant and some of them are restricted by their doctors from riding some of the rides as well. So why go to WDW?

I don't think people are as worried about it as the media made it look.
I haven't even heard much about Zika since WDW started offering free bug spray.
My sister and I were there just after they started doing that and we never touched bug spray.
I don't think many people are cancelling due to Zika.
I think the reason for the lower than expected crowds this summer was caused mostly because of several price hikes in a fairly small period of time.

The only reason I would cancel is if I were pregnant at the time of travel so I think your SIL's choice was the right one.

The first two quarters of the year saw a decrease in park attendance. Won't know if that is true for third quarter for a few weeks when Disney issues it quarterly report but many suspect a further decrease. Zika could possibly be one of several causative factors but probably not one of any significance yet. Most of the causes are financial, Disney has been doing some significant price increases in the last few years for tickets, rooms, food, everything, seemingly trying to find that level where people finally balk and say no. There is also a real impact downward resulting from the continuous rise of the value of the dollar in relation to other currencies, which, along with weaking economic conditions in other countries including in Europe, South America, and the Asian countries, has led to decreases in foreign visitors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter