“It’s always Magical” BCV, Tortola 6/20, & AKL Kidani (June 17, 2009 – June 28, 2009

DVC Mary

<font color="#FF6666">I must have missed the lobst
***“It’s always Magical” BCV, Tortola 6/20, & AKL Kidani (June 17, 2009 – June 28, 2009)

My Family:

Me “DVC Mary” aka “the planner” or “the DIS-tard”
DH “Enginerd”
DS “Tween” (12)
DS “Lab Rat” (9)

***DIS-claimer: This is my 1st TR ever. It can in no way compete w/ Royal Vizier's hilarious TR. The "Dapplebeans" are WAY COOLER than us. But it was such a different experience this cruise than my previous ones, that I wanted to share it. "It's always Magical!" represents the opinions of DVC Mary, despite being influenced by many wonderful DISers.

This offer not valid in the state of confusion, DCL post-cruise depression, the continental United States, or the state of Alaska.

Lessons learned this trip will be in blue:

Lesson#1 : I still didn't bring enough white underwear. :lmao: (Details to follow later.)

Lesson#2 : Some medical mishap will happen to my family just before or during every Disney trip. Be prepared w/ medicine, band-aids, etc, & the phone numbers to the local pharmacy/hospital. It will still be magical--no matter what illness/injury befalls this family.

Two days before we left I thought our medical issue was going to be easy.

“Lab Rat” looked like this:

DSC_0226-1.jpg

No problem....warm compresses for a day or two & it should be gone.

Tuesday Obsessive Packing w/ the Enginerd, the Planner, & the Tween

Lesson #3: No matter how early we try to pack, we will still pack until the wee hours of morning just before our flight.

The Enginerd starts to pack:

DSC_0001.jpg

We layout the Disney clothes, park necessities, cruise necessities, etc—weeks & days ahead of time, but we still can’t get it together. Yes, we have a list, a spreadsheet, etc. I blame myself who finds more fun in the planning than the packing. I blame my wonderfully organized Enginerd DH who likes things packed just right & stresses over every detail. And for the 1st time ever I blame the Tween, who took more clothes than all of us b/c he suddenly cares deeply about what he wears. And preferably it is from Hollister, Abercrombie, etc.

No more cute matching Disney t-shirts--well maybe one to pacify the planner. Hardly any Disney clothes at all! :eek: What was happening to my 1st born child? The child who I had my 1st magical trip to WDW w/ at the age of 2.5 years old. The child who brought out the child in me & made me fall in love w/ Disney more than I could ever imagine… The child who inspired the Enginerd to buy into DVC on our 1st trip ever to Disney…

The child who said to me this year:

“Mom do we have to go to the parks? Couldn’t we just hang out at the resorts?”

Huh? :confused:

Who was this child?

The child who rode Tower of Terror at 2.5 years old w/ a giant grin ... while his 15 yr old uncle :scared1: hung on for dear life w/ his eyes shut. (Yes, he was tall for his age & we had no clue what the ride was. This was before I found the DIS.)

Was this the beginning of the end or just a new phase in our Disney vacations?

Was he just a walking advertisement for DVC’s wonderful resorts?

Coming soon.....

Wednesday Wistfulness & Smugness

Wednesday Wistfulness & Smugness

Tween & I arrived Orlando airport at 10:00. Enginerd & Lab Rat had flown in early that morning. They flew on frequent flier miles. If we wanted the pleasure of a long layover in Dallas, we would’ve had to pay an extra $100 +. Tween & I flew direct. We sat smugly on our direct flight thinking we had the better end of the deal.

As I sat there ready to :jumping3: out of my seat w/ excitement that we were finally on our way, I became wistful :cloud9: for the magic of the old days. Why? As I dreamed of being in front of the castle :tink: or enjoying the beauty of being onboard the Magic, was my 1st born watching a Disney movie? (Last trip it was POC.) Was he doing a Disney crossword I had printed out months in advance for fear he might get bored? Was he reading my meticulous plans (printed out in daily format & in triplicate)? Was reviewing the Tortola Navigators that I had downloaded onto my laptop?

No . . . . .

What was he doing?

He was trying to text using the airport’s Wi-Fi on his new iTouch. Remember, we’re on the plane & it’s getting ready to leave the gate. He's complaining that he's losing the signal as we taxi toward the tarmac. :lmao:

Next, the Tween was watching Twilight, which he had downloaded, and he was reading one of the Twilight novels. I didn't even know he knew how to download a movie on to his new iTouch.

What was happening to my Disney loving child? :earboy2:

My how things had changed. Yes, my kids still LOVE Disney, but some of the innocence & magic has diminished at times. In the old days, we would watch EVERY Disney animated movie during the month before a Disney trip. We would play Disney Scene-It so we were ready for any trivia ops that came along. I just have to trust that when we get to WDW & the boat the Magic will kick in. "It's always Magical!" (Mantra in my head as I try to figure out how my vacations are starting to change w/ a tween & soon teenager. :scared1:

Back to Smugness:

I’m :jumping3: out of my seat again as we arrive at Orlando’s Int’l Airport. I think "I’ve got it made"--flying direct. Magical Express stops at 10 pm, thus we had to pick up our one lone suitcase b/c we arrived at 10:00 pm.

One suitcase--easy right?? Our smugness for our direct flight faded quickly when we realized AA had dumped 5 flights onto 1 luggage carousel. This became a battle for the ages. It was “wall to wall” people around the carousel. Personal space did not exist!

After 45 minutes, when our lone suitcase finally made it’s appearance we hustled it to Magical Express. I don’t care how many times I see the same video, I still get :hyper: when it comes on. “Tween” was engrossed in his iTouch showing me aps that I don't understand why anyone would waste their time doing--such as popping bubbles. :rolleyes:

We finally made it to the Beach Club Villas at 11:55. We were starving from all the calories we had burnt during our luggage incident. Everything was closed & we were famished for even something small. We ran to Beaches & Cream & the BC Marketplace w/o luck. We headed up to the room, hoping that Enginerd would've at least bought some milk/snacks for the room. NOPE! I had packed some snacks, but he didn't know where they were. :rolleyes1

Paying for room service seemed outrageous when we knew it was about to be FREE on the boat, but we succumbed to paying for a pizza, cookies, & milk. We ate & collapsed.

Next up:

KABOOM at BCV, finally eating Italian at Epcot, & 1 Ride that's it??? :confused3

Hey Mary, you have obviously studied under the master,RV. Great report so far! Can't wait to hear morepopcorn::

We were starving from all the calories we had burnt during our luggage incident. Everything was closed & we were famished for even something small. We ran to Beaches & Cream & the BC Marketplace w/o luck.

:scared1: :eek: :scared1: :eek:

Oh Mary, I'm so so so sorry that you're vacation started out with the devastating event of going to Beaches & Cream only to find it closed. I can think of nothing more hellacious and utterly ghastly than to be faced with the sight of a darkened and locked up Beaches & Cream. You so deserved a cruise a million times over after that! ;)

Hey Mary, you have obviously studied under the master,RV. Great report so far! Can't wait to hear morepopcorn::

:rotfl2: Oh PUH-LEEEEZE!

Woo hoo!!! Our Tortola trip through the eyes of another from the "DisGang"!!! :cool1:

Great job, Mary! Keep up the good work!!! :surfweb:

Thanks for all the positive feedback. :grouphug: I guess I owe my inspiration to :worship: the great RV. I'll have to thank him in my speech when I receive my 1st Pulitizer. Yeah right! :lmao:

I'm glad the Tortola gang is enjoying this. Who's next to start writing their own??? :yay:

Just checking in before I head off to :cloud9:. I just hope I'm not dreaming about the inferi sp? coming out of the water to get me. We just saw popcorn:: the new HP.

I'll try to edit Thursday & get it posted tomorrow.

Thursday: KABOOM at BCV, finally eating Italian at Epcot, & 1 Ride that's it???

We slept in after our late night & planned to enjoy Stormalong Bay pool. I just didn’t feel like swimming. DSs went down to the pool 1st & then were going to head to Epcot. Just when we were ready to head to Epcot & wondering if we had to drag them out of the pool---KABOOM: severe thunderstorm w/ warnings of possible hail. I’ve been in many storms at WDW, but this one was LOUD. Panic strikes me. :eek: Did my children get struck? Where are they?

Please note this is how we vacation is changing. I normally would never let the kids go the pool alone. But my Tween is very responsible and both DSs are excellent swimmers. I'm starting to feel like the world's worst parent. :worried: My panic is short lived.

Dun, dun, dun, da…..they walk in the door! :yay::dance3::banana::banana::banana::yay::dance3:

Tween is my future Eagle Scout & had already left the pool when he saw the signs coming. Shortly after that Disney had gotten everyone out too b/c they got the call. It came on fast & unlike most summer storms that don’t last, this one decided stay for the afternoon.

Lesson #4: Storms can last for many hours in FL. They aren’t all passing through.

We are poncho people, but this storm was nasty w/ a warning that day that went until around 7 pm. Kids still had tons of fun hanging out at BC despite the weather. Pool staff stopped into the arcade & even gave them free game cards. DVC staff pulled out the Wii, playing cards & other games to entertain in their community areas. “It’s always Magical.” :wizard:

When the weather finally cleared up that evening, it was time for Lab Rat’s b-day dinner at Tutto Italia. Which luckily had been moved to a later time w/o problem. Yeah WDW dining! “It’s always Magical.” :wizard: We watched Illuminations from Italy just before our late dinner. Illuminations always makes my skin tingle. It gives me hope for our world. Now if they’d bring back “Tapestry of Nations” parade again I’d really be in :cloud9:. It is my all time favorite parade.

Tutto Italia has excellent food & service!! We live in the Chicago area, so we’ve never been big-sit down dinner people at Epcot. Previous experiences convinced us that we have better ethnic foods at home. It was however a :cake: dinner & he loves pasta, so we gave it a shot. New management has really turned this place around. It’s still pricey for me, but I don’t mind pricey sometimes at WDW if the food is excellent.

Ok, now we can finally hit some rides. Time to enjoy late EMH at Epcot. We went straight to MS. We do the green version, so this is not a problem after dinner. Why do we do the green version? We did the red the year it opened but one or two deaths made me thing twice. My 3 boys (yes, I included the Enginerd) already act brain damaged at times—I don’t want to add to this.

On the walk to MS, DSs started fighting w/ each other. It was so bad that by the time the doors opened to the capsules, I decided that I was not willing to be locked into a small space w/ them---even if was only for a few minutes. I said I’ve had enough & I’ll meet you when you get back from Mars. I hope the “altitude changes you attitude” or we going back to the hotel. I walked straight out faster than anyone could stop me. I went straight to make a post card to email. If you’ve never stopped to do this, please make try it out. It always give us something to laugh about when we get home. I made one w/ me pulling my hair out & looking like :crazy2: I was losing my mind—which was how I felt. It was really refreshing to see it in video.

The kids were :scared: when they realized I meant business. They were still arguing coming off the ride. They got quieter & quieter on the way home to BCV—except for the occasionally :sad: that included “We’re sorry—can we please go on some more rides.” I didn’t budge. I told them to stop talking & let me enjoy the beautiful walk through the International Gateway & back to BCV. I :love: staying there or at BWV. It feels like the center of the universe—well at least the WDW universe. ;)

That day goes on record as the only “park day” at WDW that my family only went on one ride & I didn’t even go on one. We do have our “non-park days” occasionally. Thank goodness for APs or this would have really felt like a huge waste.

Coming up . . .

Friday

True confessions: I did it for a rat.

Medical Travails cause a lot of traveling!

Great update! I'm really enjoying your report.

I raised two boys and experienced a similar issue during a WDW trip. I'm actually surprised that they are both still around after that trip. :lmao:

Friday

True confessions: I did it for a rat.

Friday everyone still couldn’t seem to wake up early. This is a new phenomenon of a changing family. This is the family that used to hit the EMH mornings, enjoy the pool mid-day, & then get out of the sun for nice long afternoon nap before heading out to often an EMH night. This is going to change the way I plan our days & I’m not happy about it. I can see the future. Jazzygirl from DISgroup gave me a better glimpse on board. The boys will sleep until noon & I’ll either have to go by myself or drag DH to go enjoy something.

I had to send DH Enginerd for his Father’s Day surprise w/ the Tween in a cab b/c they couldn’t make it on WDW transpo since they got up soo late. During our storm time the day before, I went on the DIS—what else?? I saw a last minute Father’s Day deal for the Richard Petty Driving Experience. 50% off! I pulled the Tween in the hallway & discussed it over. He promised NOT to tell his little Lab Rat brother. I sent Tween w/ b/c even though I knew he couldn’t DO anything, he would love sharing the experience w/ his Dad & he took great photos too. It was great father son bonding type stuff.

DSC_0032-1.jpg

This was Tween 1st time taking pictures w/ our 1st DSLR camera. I think he did great considering the speed (averaged about 120 MPH).

DSC_0090.jpg

I had Mommy time w/ the “Lab Rat” at AK. We went on EE & KRR twice. It’s his favorite ride. He loves the anticipation of seeing who will really get soaked. He wanted it to be me soooo badly that we had to go on again to see if he could get me soaked. Next, we tried to relax & enjoy our surroundings in Asia & Africa. We made it a point to enjoy the animals & birds in the Oasis on our way out at about 12:30. Why was our time so short? Remember the getting up early problem. I think we’re lucky we even got on those rides.

Today was another gastronomical 1st. We went to lunch at Chefs de France b/c of their surprise animatronic Remy. He comes around on a cart to interact w/ the guests.

DSC_0111.jpg

The food was good, but high in price for the portions (typical French) & I wouldn’t recommend it just for Remy. There’s barely any interaction. It’s super quick. Lab Rat was totally surprised though. He was playing his video game after lunch, which we allowed b/c we didn’t want him to notice Remy. Great video footage!!! I won’t be back there. Even though the CM w/ Remy mentioned Lab Rat’s b-day, he still spent as little time as possible at our table.

DSC_0114-1.jpg

Tween is still making fun of me for spending so much money to see an animatronic rat that can’t even talk. I keep telling him it’s important to try new things & that our “Tables in Wonderland” card gets us a 20% discount. He :rolleyes2 at me over & over, despite my protests . . . gives me that long quiet look that I vaguely remembering using on him.

Then the hits me where it hurts: the wallet! “You spent how much for a RAT that only stopped at our table for a 2 minutes??? A rat Mom….come on, admit it, you did it for the rat.” Tween is now wearing that vague smug look that I think I’m going to see a lot of during his teenage years. But, I must confess I deserved this Rat rant. I did it for a rat.

The stupid things we parents do to make our children’s trips more magical.

Coming up next during our Friday, do you remember Lesson #2?

Medical Travails cause a lot of traveling!

Great update! I'm really enjoying your report.

I raised two boys and experienced a similar issue during a WDW trip. I'm actually surprised that they are both still around after that trip. :lmao:

Thanks Melodie! I'm learning all over again how to deal w/ this different age & style of travel. I'm also glad that I not the only Mom at WDW who has sent everyone back to the room. If we weren't DVC & AP members it would make it much more difficult.

I know the DIS gang wants me to get to the boat already, but I have to include the WHOLE trip & Friday's not over yet.

Great trip report, Mary. I am really enjoying your writing style. Looking forward to reading more!

Mary, I feel your pain about the changing family. My DS16, who was absolutely raised Disney, has had the nerve to say" Mom, that is your happy place, not mine". For a moment I considered getting a DNA test to make sure he was mine before I remembered, quite vividly, the pain of his birth! Little traitor! :eek: Good thing he said it with that cute "I love you Mommy " face or I would have put him on the curb!
Don't rush your report! You are doing an awesome job and seriously giving RV a run for his money! ( Sorry, RV-you know if you had a place on facebook to be a fan of RV, I would be one!)::yes::
PS: I love your " lessons learned!!"

I said I’ve had enough & I’ll meet you when you get back from Mars. I hope the “altitude changes you attitude” or we going back to the hotel.

That's great! :lmao: :rotfl2:

Don't rush your report! You are doing an awesome job and seriously giving RV a run for his money! ( Sorry, RV-you know if you had a place on facebook to be a fan of RV, I would be one!)::yes::

Hm... fans on Facebook... that's a thought. Then I could have faithful minions all over cyberspace! ;)

Thanks Melodie! I'm learning all over again how to deal w/ this different age & style of travel. I'm also glad that I not the only Mom at WDW who has sent everyone back to the room. If we weren't DVC & AP members it would make it much more difficult.

I know the DIS gang wants me to get to the boat already, but I have to include the WHOLE trip & Friday's not over yet.

I would love to tell you that it won't happen again but you know I'd be lying!!! :rotfl2:

I admit - I had to scroll back up to check out lesson #2!!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter