“It’s always Magical” BCV, Tortola 6/20, & AKL Kidani (June 17, 2009 – June 28, 2009

Mary,
When you said you were writing your trip report, I didn't realize you were posting it already! Shoot, guess that means I better start posting what I've written here on the computer. Loving what you've written so far! (forgot you spent a couple days at WDW before the cruise):)

Medical Travails cause a lot of traveling!

Let's review:

Lesson #2: Some medical mishap will happen to my family just before or during every Disney trip. Be prepared w/ medicine, band-aids, etc, & the phone numbers to the local pharmacy/hospital, AND directions.

So I thought we had gotten off easy w/ Lesson #2. Lab Rat's ugly clogged tear duct....but noooo despite making sure Tween's ears were extra clear of wax, he still managed to get swimmer's ear.

Was he swimming a lot before the trip? Nope, it was freezing in Chicago.

How do you get swimmer's ear w/o swimming? :confused3 This feat is occasionally attained by my Tween b/c he has waxy ears. So what do we do to make sure we'll have a Swimmer's Ear free trip??? Per the doctor's suggestion, we use an ear wax remover b/c we see that he's got quite a bit of wax build up.

Does this work? Of course not, I forgot Lesson #2.

Friday evening began the saga of getting seen for swimmer’s ear. While Enginerd & Lab Rat went to MK for EMH, I took Tween to be seen by a doctor. Tween had been complaining about his ears on & off since the flight and by Friday was in serious pain. Luckily by this time, we had the rental car for driving to the port the next day.

WDW suggested we go to the local emergi-care type place. The wait was estimated to be at least 2-3 hours—never a good sign to read when you arrive. We left there after 30 min b/c we worried that he was more likely to catch something else. Someone was lying w/ blankets on the dirty floor. :scared1: There was a lot of coughing & moaning. :eek: I felt like I was in a 3rd World country ER.

We should've gone straight to Celebration Hospital. Yes, we had to wait, but it was clean & everyone was very competent. :thumbsup2

Next began the saga of finding the 24 hour pharmacy. Yes, I know you can get a prescription delivered to your hotel room at some charge of course, but I was already out & about. The nurse sent us :drive: towards the wrong pharmacy. We had to :drive: an extra 20 minutes after that, looking for a different 24 hour pharmacy. It had moved & thus we :drive: again to find a different 24 Hour pharmacy.

We also found Taco Bell, which made DS happier. Somehow a volcano taco at 1 am makes your ear feel better. We found a Walmart & picked up a case of water for $4. Everytime they tried to sell us the water package at Topsiders, we would hold up 4 fingers. We got a case for $4 & it's already in our room.

Tween’s belly is full, we found the pharmacy, he’s got medicine, & he should be ready to help navigate/use the GPS to get us back to BCV. This was my 1st time ever driving at WDW. We’re a Magical Express family. I normally have a good sense of direction, all the :drive: back & forth to find the 24 hour pharmacy had me “off kilter” (great band).

I told Tween that he need to help me. This was also my 1st experience :drive: w/ a GPS, but not his. I didn’t trust it. I’m a social studies :teacher:, well primarily history, but I love maps. I need to see the bigger picture not just each intersection. This little screen thingee wasn’t giving me perspective. :magnify:

We did fine until we were actually on WDW property & somehow kept missing our turn. It’s now about 1:45 am & dark of course. Little did I initially realize.....

Tween felt so comforted by the thought we had made it onto WDW property, that he promptly fell asleep :cloud9: & didn’t tell me where to turn. :scratchin :drive: :confused3

Yes, it has audio but we had turned that annoying voice off. I don’t have a dashboard mount b/c this is DH’s GPS from home that he only uses for camping trips. We spent 20 minutes on property :drive: trying to find our w/ be saying "Now tell where to turn." If only I had realized he was asleep a little sooner. :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Yes, we made it back, & if I could have I would've dragged the Enginerd out of bed & said "I want to be at the port :boat: NOW." But exhaustion prevailed & I :faint: into bed after setting the alarm to get Lab Rat up early.

Up next:

How many GIANT cinnamon rolls does it take to get a child to pick up a b-day gift card worth around $40-$50?

Good heavens, Mary! :scared:

You earned that cruise by the time you boarded!

You haven't even heard the rest of the saga of getting to the port. It's no wonder I couldn't get any of our DIS group's names straight after our meet. We sooo needed name tags. Maybe Ollie buttons w/ each fan's own name.

Hi!

I'm Mary & I'm a fan of Ollie too!

You haven't even heard the rest of the saga of getting to the port. It's no wonder I couldn't get any of our DIS group's names straight after our meet. We sooo needed name tags. Maybe Ollie buttons w/ each fan's own name.

Hi!

I'm Mary & I'm a fan of Ollie too!

:scared1:

No wonder you were begging for the DisMeet spreadsheet! :worship:

girlfriend-you are already needing a vacation from your vacation!:eek:
my DH prefers the GPS voice with the Australian accent becasue he thinks it's sexy:rotfl: I want one with George Clooney's voice!:thumbsup2

:scared1:

No wonder you were begging for the DisMeet spreadsheet! :worship:

BUSTED! :blush:

girlfriend-you are already needing a vacation from your vacation!:eek:
my DH prefers the GPS voice with the Australian accent becasue he thinks it's sexy:rotfl: I want one with George Clooney's voice!:thumbsup2

Thanks for understanding my madness!

I want the GPS w/ :smooth: George Clooney's voice too or maybe . . . . :idea:

Disney could make a version where you choose the character's voice you want & if you miss a turn it automatically turns into Donald Duck ranting. :lmao::rotfl:

BUSTED! :blush:

Thanks for understanding my madness!

I want the GPS w/ :smooth: George Clooney's voice too or maybe . . . . :idea:

Disney could make a version where you choose the character's voice you want & if you miss a turn it automatically turns into Donald Duck ranting. :lmao::rotfl:

Lurker here, just wanted you to know that I find your TR just as funny and entertaining as RV's- good job- loved the part about attitude and altitude-

Lurker here, just wanted you to know that I find your TR just as funny and entertaining as RV's- good job- loved the part about attitude and altitude-

That is truly high praise. I hope my future writing will be as worthy.

the Donald voice is a great idea!

We need to make $ w/ all these great DIS brainstorming going on.

I'm working on the next installment. It's almost ready.

I know, right? We could all give up the day jobs and Disney/Ollie brainstorm all day:thumbsup2
If only that could pay the bills...

OMG!! Mary your just as good a writer as RV! Now I'm scared of writing my TR...your too funny. BUt i feel so bad for you...all the things that went wrong before you even got on. I'm surprise you weren't htting the drinks any harder when I first meet you at the Dis meet. Keep the TR coming...I'm enjoying it!!! Also...the kids are enjoying it as well.

Saturday Morning:

How many giant cinnamon rolls does it take to get a child to pick up a gift card worth around $50?

Will we ever get to the port?

Luggage: Will I need to protect it, when I least expect it??? Who else will need protection?

Saturday morning 7:40 am the alarm seems to wake only me up :confused: I try convincing Enginerd to take Lab Rat, but no despite my travails only 5 hours earlier, I had to do it or it wouldn’t get done. The lengths I go to if I can save $ or get something free.

I drag Lab Rat, whining & moaning, to get his b-day celebration gift card at the Guest Relations desk near where you enter the World Showcase. AP holders are eligible for a gift card worth the price of a 1 day ticket, but you can ONLY pick it up on the actual b-day. He can’t spend this card until next year’s visit, but at a around $50 free, it was worth the effort….I think.

We were told they were open at 8am, but they didn’t tell us you can’t pick up your b-day celebration card until 9am. Ugh!! How am I going to keep this crabby b-day boy happy. :headache:

Good thing we stopped at the BC Marketplace 1st. He ate 2 gigantic cinnamon rolls the size of his face while he waited. We met a lovely lady w/ the same b-day who was also, a DVC member, stuck waiting, staying at BCV, and also about to board the Magic! “It’s always Magical!” And we ran into her w/ her family everywhere on the cruise, that midway through the cruise I thought she was w/ our DIS meet.

When we get back to the room are they completely ready to go??? Enginerd is ironing??? Ironing???? He wants their Hawaiian shirts to look good for the port pictures.

I am strongly opposed to ironing.

#1 After something is ironed, you put it on, get in a vehicle, & by the time you get somewhere it’s wrinkled anyway.

#2 Laundry is hard enough w/o adding ironing. If it really needs to be ironed, such as a dress shirt, it goes to the dry cleaners.

#3 I’m bad at it. I confess to be a failure in the ironing department--despite being the daughter of a woman who ironed her sheets. Never understood that one. You get in the bed & in the am they look worse than they did out of the dryer. I also stink at it compared to DH who worked at a dry cleaners in h.s. & college--so I don't even attempt to use an iron.

:idea: I hang things right out of the dryer or while still damp on drying hangars to prevent shrinkage. Most of the wrinkles fall out.

Thank you for letting me share a deep dark secret concerning irons. Someday I'll tell you about me, my fingers, & the only electric wringer washing machine. :rolleyes1

Ok back on track....

Lab Rat & I take a quick shower. It’s now 9:45 & I’m starting to PANIC. I want to be at the port early. We finally got on the road around 10:30 am.

I wanted to get there early find some of my new DIS :grouphug: friends, board early, etc. which didn't happen.

After this I don’t what time anything happened, I was exhausted. I drove to the port & got caught in some traffic b/c we didn’t have the Florida Hwy FastPass thingee. When we get to the port, I dropped them & all the luggage they could manage. I hurry to fill up the car & find Budget.

I get on the shuttle bus w/ a family headed for their 1st cruise "It's always Magical." They're asking me a ton of questions. I'm happy to be talking about the Magic.

There were some older people going to the Carnival ship, whom we're dropping off 1st. The gaggle of people who appear to all be together can’t agree on which luggage is theirs. The DCL families have to tell them NOT to take certain bags b/c they are OURS. Yikes! I'm trying to help the family w/ 2 small kids defend their luggage. One man won’t get off the bus b/c he’s convinced they’ve left a bag behind. We assure him that the only bags left are OURS & we point them out one by one. He finally gets off the bus.

Sigh! We’re or our way again….when all of a sudden there are some bangs on the side of the bus & our driver SLAMMED on his brakes. I slam into the luggage railing on my left while putting out my hands the other direction to stop a 3 year old from flying forward. Kids are :sad: ! What the heck? The banging sound resumes on the side of the bus. It’s the ":crazy: luggage guy". :scared1: He wanted to check “one more time” so he started banging on the bus as it was pulling away. Our driver lets ":crazy: luggage guy" get on AGAIN & is finally convinced that there is no more luggage belonging to his group on board. The 1st DCL people w/ the crying toddlers—one of whom needed an ice pack when we got to port for the lump that erupted on his leg, are not having a good start to their trip. The Budget bus driver proceeds to complain & never once apologizes for slamming on the brakes the way he did. He said the guy scared him. We told him he scared us more & we didn’t appreciate starting our cruises w/ lumps & bruises. We arrive at the port & he’s got nothing to say to us.

I get through security & my family immediately starts yelling at me. What took you so long? We’re supposed to be on board. Where have you been???

Hello (I think but don’t say), who does the running around here & all the planning? Don’t you think I want to be on the boat? Do you really think I was hanging out at the rental car place taking my own sweet time?

Arggghh! I try to explain, show them the bruise erupting on my arms & then I bite my tongue & quickly change into my dress for our photos. Whoosh! We’re on the boat. No time to relax & enjoy the terminal. Little do they know…..the next cruise, I’m making them spend a night in PC. I’m not doing the drive from WDW unless we’re booking a limo that will pick us up at the crack of dawn.

They don’t know about this TR. Evil voice: “Wa Ha Ha Ha Ha!”

Up next:

The door….they didn’t notice/appreciate it…….rassa frassa rrr darn kids!

DIS Meet—dog buttons, famous flip-flop feet, lots of :yay: when people meet.

:sad2:Oh Mary. Your vacation has been a workout!
:idea:Maybe you should go straight to cruising. You have gone thru way too much to get to that ship!:rotfl:
For the record I totally share your thoughts on the wonderful world of ironing.

OMG!!! I'm tried just reading about everything you went throught before getting on the ship!!! You did better then I would have...when we meet up I would never have knew you had sure a crazy few days before hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter