͏

Be aware that if you have the 2008 point charts, then you essentially have them for all prior years. Except for a seasonal shift of points done to OKW in the early 1990s, the point charts were always the same before 2008 except for the usual date changes for the Easter weeks (from the Sat, a week before Easter, through the Friday after Easter) and Thanksgiving (always the Wed through Fri).

Which year was it they did the week day/week end point change? (I could go back in the closet, but you know, easier to just ask someone with a memory!)

All my earlier vacations were based on 5 night week day weeks. After a few years and more points added, I was able to do some weekends. Then when they 'fixed' the ratio, 7 nights became the norm for us.

Also, buy in for Disney vacation Club in the first years was 240 points? Or was it 270? Then it came down to 150? Something our younger/newer members may not know. I know my very first purchase was 160, but I don't remember if that was the number I needed or the number I had to buy as a minimum. I just kept buying for a few years and have never sold anything.

The weekend to weekday shift occurred over two successive years since the total change made was, for many of the days, more than the 20% per day (up or down) allowed in any one year, and started with the 2010 point chart (issued in mid-Jan 2009). That initial change was likely illegal as to BLT because under the POS a change can only be made at a resort in reponses to changes in demand at that resort, When the 2010 point charts were issued in jan 2009, BLT had been on sale since Sep 2008 but it did not start taking reservations until after Jan 2009 and it did not open until Aug 2009, meaning that point change occurred before there could possibly be any changes in annual demand at BLT. No one sued but DVC did resolve some complaints made by BLT owners by selling them add-ons for less than 25 points so the members could keep their desired Sun through Thurs vacation times that they relied on when purchasing.

The original buy-in minimum was 230. In the 1990s, exactly which years I do not remember, it changed first to 190, then to 150 and finally to 160 and remained 160 until the Great Recession when it was lowered to 100, and at times to 75 or 50.

Last edited:
The weekend to weekday shift occurred over two successive years and started with the 2010 point chart (issued in mid-Jan 2009).

The original buy-in minimum was 230. In the 1990s, exactly which years I do not remember, it changed first to 190, then to 150 and finally to 160 and remained 160 until the Great Recession when it was lowered to 100, and at times to 75 or 50.

Thank you! I believe it was 150 in late 2000, but I needed 160 for my vacation at the time.

I started my buying research in 1997 after a trip to DIsney's Hilton Head Resort. It was such a change to have that 2 bedroom, versus a hotel room at the Westin!

It took me 3 years to finally buy at BWV, mostly because I wasn't in love with OKW and my friends all bought there. I always stayed at Polynesian before BWV. It was a strange transition but I made the right decision for my family.

Thank you! I believe it was 150 in late 2000, but I needed 160 for my vacation at the time.

I started my buying research in 1997 after a trip to DIsney's Hilton Head Resort. It was such a change to have that 2 bedroom, versus a hotel room at the Westin!

It took me 3 years to finally buy at BWV, mostly because I wasn't in love with OKW and my friends all bought there. I always stayed at Polynesian before BWV. It was a strange transition but I made the right decision for my family.

I know the minimum was 160 in 2009 when I bought BLT.

found some, still missing 2004 and prior ...
so a little bit harder now; anyone have pre 2005 point charts? some folks were around then, yes? can only assume they were issued on stone tablet ...

Other than a point chart change around 1996 at OKW the charts didn't change until the time you already have so they'll all be the same with the exception of the dates for Easter, Thanksgiving and New Years.

(I didn't read all the posts and see that Drusba but now see Drusba also pointed that out)

Other than a point chart change around 1996 at OKW the charts didn't change until the time you already have so they'll all be the same with the exception of the dates for Easter, Thanksgiving and New Years.

(I didn't read all the posts and see that Drusba but now see Drusba also pointed that out)

@drusba
Just a thought - Boardwalk did not start out with 3 views. How long/what year did they change from all one view structure?

I've read somewhere that standard view was created when members complained about getting parking lot while some got the Boardwalk view.

The points chart should have been different for that period.

Or am I just having another senior moment?

@drusba
Just a thought - Boardwalk did not start out with 3 views. How long/what year did they change from all one view structure?

I've read somewhere that standard view was created when members complained about getting parking lot while some got the Boardwalk view.

I thought that too and asked almost the identical question and unless I don't remember the answer correctly apparently the standard view was there from the start.

@drusba

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought that SV was there but that BW view was a request at the start. They then decided to break it into its own category...similar to HH at OKW.

So, no changes for point charts was needed. This was before I bought, but remember reading something like that.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought that SV was there but that BW view was a request at the start. They then decided to break it into its own category...similar to HH at OKW.

So, no changes for point charts was needed. This was before I bought, but remember reading something like that.
Sandi is correct. Originally there were Standard and Preferred views, with Boardwalk view being a request when Preferred was booked. After a number of meltdowns and temper tantrums at the front desk (not by us!) when that request was not fulfilled, Boardwalk view became a booking category, but the points weren’t changed. So when evaluating points charts before that, the number of Preferred villas is simply the total of Preferred (Garden/Pool) and Boardwalk view villas today.

@drusba

Boardwalk view as a guaranteed booking category was created in Fall 2003. The 2003 and 2004 point charts, already issued before Fall 2003, did not show the distinction, and it was first shown for the 2005 point chart.

As to doing any total point analysis, the change is irrelevant. Both views retained the preferred view point totals that existed before the change and thus for a total point analysis, you just treat all boardwalk view rooms the same as preferred view.

Boardwalk view as a guaranteed booking category was created in Fall 2003. The 2003 and 2004 point charts, already issued before Fall 2003, did not show the distinction, and it was first shown for the 2005 point chart.

As to doing any total point analysis, the change is irrelevant. Both views retained the preferred view point totals that existed before the change and thus for a total point analysis, you just treat all boardwalk view rooms the same as preferred view.

First of all, thank you! And then, please bear with me as if anyone lets me near a laptop in 10 more years, I'll be repeating the question as I will have forgotten again.....

BWV started sales with no view categories. Standard view was implemented prior to sell out. IIRC, the points available for sale (undeclared) were adjusted to accomplish the change.

I just wanted to say thank you again to @chalee94, @Judique, @Sandisw, @CarolMN, @sethschroeder, @drusba, @KAT4DISNEY, and @CarolynFH for posting charts or history about the charts!

with everything combined I think I can figure out almost all the years for all the Walt Disney World resorts (haven't looked at VB, HHI, and AUL yet); I think the only thing I might be missing is if it was 1996, 1997, 1998, or 1999 that OKW charts were tweaked but I'll go with @KAT4DISNEY's memory of it being 1996

I was trying to see the historical variation in point charts for base year analysis to see if the 2022 point chart increase had a previous precedent; what I found was consistent with what a few of you pointed out ...
  • 1991 to 2008 were pretty boringly consistent except the minor tweak to OKW
  • 2009 and 2010 were the weekend / weekday shift
  • 2011 to 2020 were very consistent besides some individual changes at specific resorts (SSR treehouses, SSR standard / preferred, etc.
but yeah, thanks! I owe you all a 🍷 next time I see you on property; Franzia good for you? 😛

It's just nice to see someone taking an interest in an analytical way, that might be around to enjoy long after someone is pushing (me) around the parks. (You notice I was careful not to call any other older folks senior.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter