“ Ratched” on Netflix...Anyone else watching?

I’m watching it as I wriye.
Love some of the American Horror story alum.

Was that Jeffrey the butler from Fresh Prince that got the lombotomy?
And I get the Silence of the Lambs feel when a scene is shown where they keep Edmund

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but the trailer got my attention and it's on my list.

So for those who have watched is it like AHS?

I was so confused by the trailer. It seemed very AHS-esque and seemed completely divorced from the origin story of Nurse Ratched from OFTCN.

I never thought Ratched was like some psychotic nurse but rather a woman drunk on power in a corrupt system who had become so clinical within that system that she stopped seeing the patients with much humanity.

The trailer definitely looked like sadistic tendencies and mental illness gone wrong horror story type deal.

I was so confused by the trailer. It seemed very AHS-esque and seemed completely divorced from the origin story of Nurse Ratched from OFTCN.

I never thought Ratched was like some psychotic nurse but rather a woman drunk on power in a corrupt system who had become so clinical within that system that she stopped seeing the patients with much humanity.

The trailer definitely looked like sadistic tendencies and mental illness gone wrong horror story type deal.
Yes to all. It did stray from the One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest version of nurse Ratched. And I hear it is much like AHS. I have not watched that but that's what I keep seeing....it is so much like AHS.

I saw it listed in Netflix last week and watched the trailer. It looks interesting. It's been 25+ years since I read One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, or watched the movie (required high school reading). Will I need to reread/watch to understand?

It definitely has an AHS feel, it's created by Ryan Murphy, the same guy who created AHS.
I saw it listed in Netflix last week and watched the trailer. It looks interesting. It's been 25+ years since I read One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, or watched the movie (required high school reading). Will I need to reread/watch to understand?
I've never seen OFOTCN but since it's her backstory I figure it's ok

Having never watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest I think it stands as it’s own story. I’m liking it so far. The costumes and scenery are amazing. I’d heard the original nurse was supposed to be cruel and mean, but Sarah Paulson’s version seems more conflicted. She’s both kind and horrible. Haven’t gotten to the end yet, but so far I’m having a hard time seeing how she’s supposed to become a hardened nurse. Maybe it will be clearer by the end, but it definitely has the same feel at AHS- Especially Asylum, but without the supernatural aspect.

Last edited:
I don’t know how it will line up with OFOTCN... But I can see it. It’s hard to tell right now if she’s good/bad/damaged/mentally ill 🤷🏻‍♀️

If they called it AHS I would totally believe it. The vibe is similar. Also Ryan Murphy has certain themes in many of his series.

It is very good and the costumes are a delight. I fast forward through the gore.

Started it this morning, into episode 4. Really enjoying it. I love Sarah Paulson.

Ok, finished the series. Looks amazing, very solid acting, Jon Jon Briones is in it and that makes everything better :)
But the story after the first three episodes... it's a mess. The ending was a bit of an anticlimax.

To be honest, it was not necessary to call it Ratched an say that it's based on Nurse Ratched of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It stands on its own.

Reminded me a bit of Hollywood on Netflix. Very high production values and great cast & acting, but also there, the story was all over the place. Like they couldn't decide what they wanted to focus on.

I liked the first half of the season a lot. The second half wasn’t as good, in my opinion but I still enjoyed it.

I never saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and watched it after Ratched. I didn’t think she was anything as terrible as in Ratched.

it is so much like AHS, I swear Im watching it, I like it, but felt it should have disguingshed it self from AHA, or at least go places you cant go in regular TV

I’m watching it as I wriye.
Love some of the American Horror story alum.

Was that Jeffrey the butler from Fresh Prince that got the lombotomy?
And I get the Silence of the Lambs feel when a scene is shown where they keep Edmund

Yes!!!!! I immediately thought of Silence of the Lambs. Wonder if it was the same cell they used.

MJ

You all are SO much braver than me. I am such a baby when it comes to gore/disturbing things. I'm a nurse so I am used to my fair share of blood but that lobotomy? Nope nope nope. I only made it to episode 3..... Actual footage of my face:

They might as well have just called it American Horror Story: Institution. I've only watched one episode, and I guess I like it enough so far. The set design and costumes are gorgeous. But if it really does start to go off the rails mid-season, then yep. That's AHS.

It's been a long time since I've seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I don't remember Nurse Ratched being particularly diabolical, just more of a stern, unsympathetic type on a power trip. At any rate I don't see why they even had to connect this series with that book/ movie, it could have just as easily been its own thing.

We binged it last week, we liked it.
My daughter told me to watch American Horror Story, so that's gonna be next.
We actually watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest after, there is no comparison between the the two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter