“Official” 2018 Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party – Strategy and Itinerary Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of?? :) We made our fast passes, but I don't know if it's a good plan or not. For the party day, we did Winnie the Pooh (3:25-4:25), Peter Pan (4:30-5:30), and Jungle Cruise (5:30-6). I don't really know what we're going to do after that. Meander around?? I'm still a little clueless, I guess.

Well let's see if we can work on this together. What date is your party?

Well let's see if we can work on this together. What date is your party?
Thank you! Party date is 9/25 and we are also doing a full day at MK the next day. So, we want to try to do things that will be unique to the party (like the special themed rides, characters, parade, etc.), but we will have the next day to do normal MK things. Our FPs for the full MK day are Buzz, Space Mountain (me), Tomorrowland Speedway (dh and son), and Enchanted Tales with Belle. And we also have lunch at BOG.

Loosely, for the party day I thought we would hit those FPs plus whatever else we can work in before 7, try to do Pirates close to 7, see Jack Sparrow and maybe Moana, although I bet the line will be long. Then head towards Haunted Mansion and try to do it. I bet that will probably put us close to needing to find a spot for the parade. But I'd love to do scream-o-ween because the kids will like that more than Haunted Mansion. So maybe we scrap Haunted Mansion? Do Mad Tea Party instead, with a stop at scream-o-ween and then the parade?

[Full disclosure, I have not been to Disney in 25 years. So as much as I have read about, I just am having trouble anticipating what the best plan will be for us. Plus, the kids may just laugh at any plan we have and decide they're going to be too tired for any of it!]

Thank you! Party date is 9/25 and we are also doing a full day at MK the next day. So, we want to try to do things that will be unique to the party (like the special themed rides, characters, parade, etc.), but we will have the next day to do normal MK things. Our FPs for the full MK day are Buzz, Space Mountain (me), Tomorrowland Speedway (dh and son), and Enchanted Tales with Belle. And we also have lunch at BOG.

Loosely, for the party day I thought we would hit those FPs plus whatever else we can work in before 7, try to do Pirates close to 7, see Jack Sparrow and maybe Moana, although I bet the line will be long. Then head towards Haunted Mansion and try to do it. I bet that will probably put us close to needing to find a spot for the parade. But I'd love to do scream-o-ween because the kids will like that more than Haunted Mansion. So maybe we scrap Haunted Mansion? Do Mad Tea Party instead, with a stop at scream-o-ween and then the parade?

[Full disclosure, I have not been to Disney in 25 years. So as much as I have read about, I just am having trouble anticipating what the best plan will be for us. Plus, the kids may just laugh at any plan we have and decide they're going to be too tired for any of it!]

When making an itinerary, you're not bound to it. It helps you realize what can be done in a limited amount of time, guides you towards understanding timing when to be at a certain location such as meeting a specific character, getting on rides or seeing shows. I honestly do not recommend planning every single minute, you'd miss too much! As mentioned before I think you should use Tag Team, this is where someone holds the line while your spouse does something else. When the spouse is done, he returns to you and then you do what you want to do.

Tuesday, Sept. 25 / Who: DH, DS3, DD1, and me

3:30-4:10 Arrive at MK, go through bypass & get wristbands. You & DD1 head to Moana, DH & DS3 head to Pooh.
4:15-6:00 Moana Post #979
Tag Team: DH & DS3 4:15-4:35 Winnie the Pooh FP+ 3:25-4:25
Tag Team: You & DS3 4:45-5:00 Peter Pan FP+ 4:30-5:30
Tag Team: DH & DS3, DD1 5:10-5:25 Magic Carpets of Aladdin
6:00-6:25 Jungle Cruise FP+ 5:30-6 This Might not happen but let's put it in anyway!
6:30-7:15 Captain Jack Sparrow
Tag Team: DH gets a cool snack
7:20-7:45 Pirates of the Carribean
7:55-8:20 Haunted Mansion or Tea Cups
8:25-9:35 Boo-To-You Parade in Frontierland - This is a bit early but you have a stroller so save your first row spots!
Tag Team: You have 35 minutes. I recommend Trick or Treating 15 minutes each, you & DS3 then DH & DS3 Don't move your stroller, if you want to take the baby, then carry her!
9:40-10:30 Hallowishes on Main Street
10:40-11:10 Space Mountain - DH Single Rider
Tag Team: You & DS3 & DD1 meet Lotso
11:15-11:35 Scream Dance Party - DH, DS3 & DD1
Tag Team: Space Mountain - You Single Rider

Questions?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Over on the Main Thread @dachsie writes - I am not understanding the times that are listed next to the characters in that link [URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-2018-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-a-spooktacular-celebration.3665880/page-236#post-59536947"]Post #4704[/URL]

The link she's referring to is the: [URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/mnsshp-2017-strategy-in-the-making.3604086/#post-57587124"]2017 Character's to Meet![/URL]

On the 2017 Character List you will see the names of all the characters, some have "locations" and /or "here" then "posted wait times". These "xxxx" are all links that you can click to find information.

Let's use Moana
Below her name is the word "Location" and "here" - click on those words to see photographs or read more.
Next we have posted wait times "4:20-5:55 = 1hr 35min." these are also links, confirmed reports from fellow DISer's who waited in line to see this character. They got in line at 4:20, they were done by 5:55 and it took them 1 hour and 35 minutes to see this particular character. Next is someone who got in line at 4:30 waited 1 hour and finally we have someone who got in line at 6:10 and waited 2 hours. Why did some wait longer than others? It has to do with what party they attended and the conditions. Last year we saw rain, thunderstorms and lightning. It was brutal.

Moana (rare)
4:20-5:55 = 1hr 35min, 4:30-5:30 = 1hr, 6:10-8:10 = 2hr.

@cheshirecatattack wrote:

"Here now. Here are my experiences with characters so far:
- in line for Moana at 420, she came out at 545, done by 555"

Hope this helps!

So I have to tell my story...we've only done the Halloween Party once and we didn't really enjoy it. We went in mid-October and it was far and away the most crowded 5 hours of our entire week. We chose to see some characters because our daughter was small and we spent pretty much the entire party in 3 character meets, trick or treating, and the parade and show. I think we only got to 2 rides. Our daughter was whiny the whole time (not Disney's fault) until she fell asleep during the parade. After a similiarly bad experience at a MVMCP (again our daughter throwing a fit at about 7:15 PM that she wanted to go back to the room and complaining the whole time after insistent she wanted to go to the party - this one definitely not Disney's fault - but has completely turned me off to these parties.) I honestly swore we would never go back, but we are going in August when the parties are first starting and we are letting our daughter (15) bring a friend and they really want to go to the party. So I picked a Tuesday party (the 28th)

We have FP+ for two rides, BTMRR at 4:30 PM and HM at 5:30 PM. After HM we plan on allowing DD and BFF to go off on their own. If they decide they want to do characters (I don't think so) they are welcome to. We will not. I enjoy meeting characters but waiting in line for more than maybe 15 minutes to me is akin to torture.

We (the two adults) are going to take advantage of hopefully short ride lines, enjoy seeing folks' costumes taking breaks to cool/dry off as necessary, and then meeting back up with the girls before the fireworks. We'll then watch the fireworks at 10:15...maybe the Hocus Pocus show (depending on the weather) and the 11:15 parade. I am hoping the Tuesday party combined with the early date means the crowds are fairly low and we can actually enjoy ourselves - and DD and her friend will enjoy themselves as well. My wife paid for the tickets - so I am trying very consciously to have no expectations for the party so that I can maybe enjoy it for the first time.

So I have to tell my story...we've only done the Halloween Party once

This must have been a while ago? Most people go into these parties without really researching how to plan for the party. Some go in with wisdom from 2014 thinking easy breezy but that is not the case. Even those who attended in 2016 are in for a rude awakening.

Seeing how your daughter is planning on doing her own thing this year, hopefully with a plan, what are your plans? Do you know where you need to be and at what time? This would make a big difference in your party experience.

Kenny the Pirate has your date Tuesday, August 28th as "Moderate Crowds"
Link: http://www.characterlocator.com/?p=cal_index&tdate=08/26/2018

Touring Plans has your rides listed at #2 out of 34
Link: https://blog.touringplans.com/2018/05/30/least-crowded-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-of-2018/

Seems like you'll have a great time!

Last edited:
I get to make FPS on August 24. I can’t deicde if I want to make FPS for our Halloween parties. We will be standing in line for characters so not sure if we would even have the chance to ride rides. Dh and I are not interested in tag teaming rides.

Edit: Actually after posting this I realized we just added more park tickets so we will be at a park before MNSSHP and will use FPS for those instead.

I get to make FPS on August 24. I can’t deicde if I want to make FPS for our Halloween parties. We will be standing in line for characters so not sure if we would even have the chance to ride rides. Dh and I are not interested in tag teaming rides.

Edit: Actually after posting this I realized we just added more park tickets so we will be at a park before MNSSHP and will use FPS for those instead.

upload_2018-7-29_15-50-0.png

I was reading some of the 2017 trip reports and what they accomplished and am thinking I may change some of my plan. I am going to wait to tweak my itinerary until we see reports from the first parties. Mainly thinking of moving the Ducks to later in the party. I also think I want to get my SOTMK card at 4 when I get there so I don't forget or lose time

PS - that explanation helped. Thanks!

I was reading some of the 2017 trip reports and what they accomplished and am thinking I may change some of my plan. I am going to wait to tweak my itinerary until we see reports from the first parties. Mainly thinking of moving the Ducks to later in the party. I also think I want to get my SOTMK card at 4 when I get there so I don't forget or lose time

PS - that explanation helped. Thanks!

Agree. I wouldn't change anything until we hear back. Hopefully more people will take the time to post their experiences and remember their party will differ from yours. Weather, crowds etc.. anything can be a game changer!

This must have been a while ago? Most people go into these parties without really researching how to plan for the party. Some go in with wisdom from 2014 thinking easy breezy but that is not the case. Even those who attended in 2016 are in for a rude awakening.

Seeing how your daughter is planning on doing her own thing this year, hopefully with a plan, what are your plans? Do you know where you need to be and at what time? This would make a big difference in your party experience.

Kenny the Pirate has your date Tuesday, August 28th as "Moderate Crowds"
Link: http://www.characterlocator.com/?p=cal_index&tdate=08/26/2018

Touring Plans has your rides listed at #2 out of 34
Link: https://blog.touringplans.com/2018/05/30/least-crowded-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-of-2018/

Seems like you'll have a great time!

Oh trust me I researched. It was 2010 when we went, I could look up my spreadsheets for the exact date but I'm too lazy, but it was pretty near to Halloween (maybe around the 20th of October). We got in line for the 7D an hour before the party. Back then they said "Crowds would taper off towards the end." but we didn't see it. The one mistake I made is it was a Thursday party which I thought would be less crowded but now I know Tuesday. We wanted to see the princes and princesses together in toontown (before FLE) and we kept going over there and it was always a 45 minute wait. Finally broke down at 11:30 when the wait was down to 30 minutes. Poor DD was passed out - she never saw them. (We had decided we wanted to see 50 characters that trip, so we were really trying to see them, but the lines were crazy.) WE waited for the late parade hearing it was less crowded but holy cow there were SO many people - as many as at Spectromagic on a non-party night.

The Christmas party we did in 2013 was much less crowded. (We went in November on a Tuesday.) And we did OK until we tried to get into the hub to see the fireworks and it was SOOO packed at DD flipped out completely, so DW took her home, and I stuck around for a while and rode a few things trying to salvage some value for the night. (Again - that trip I blame less on Disney and more on our Daughter's inability to be up past 8 PM at WDW - which really has gone on most of her life.)

And this is partly why I agree to go this year - A Tuesday party in August - feeling that it will be about as low crowds as you can get for a party. (As you point out Touring Plans actually lists it as the (likely) second least crowded party

However, I still don't think I need a plan? I don't want to see characters - there's no way I waiting 2 hours for a character nowadays - I don't want to trick or treat, I just want to ride the rides. I know the couple of rides with special "overlays" - (Pirates, Tea Cups (blech) and Space Mountain) might get long lines, but we are doing HM with a FP so I don't think we have to worry about that one - and until we know exactly what the overlay is I am not sure I will care. (If Pirates is just they got a few pirate actors shouting at the boats for instance - and it leads to massive lines - that's a big SKIP for me.) I suspect no one knows when they'll start doing the overlay, and what exactly they'll be doing with those - so I'll keep my ear to the threads when the first party happens. (I think this is the THIRD party we are attending.) I used to go commando at Disney but I'm on my 17th trip and I am done with commando - I feel the same for the Halloween party. I haven't waited in line for something at WDW more than 30 minutes in 8 years and I don't want to start now. As I said, my standards for this are very low, and if I can see the Fireworks and the parade and get a few rides in beforehand I will be happy. And hey, I'm all for planning if you want to accomplish a lot, but I think I might enjoy the party more if I just take it mellow.

Agree. I wouldn't change anything until we hear back. Hopefully more people will take the time to post their experiences and remember their party will differ from yours. Weather, crowds etc.. anything can be a game changer!
One of the biggest changes I am considering is watching the fireworks in fantasyland and then jumping in line for the Ducks. Would that be doable?

One of the biggest changes I am considering is watching the fireworks in fantasyland and then jumping in line for the Ducks. Would that be doable?

Absolutely as long as you understand your view will be limited and you're good with that.

Oh trust me I researched. It was 2010 when we went, I could look up my spreadsheets for the exact date but I'm too lazy, but it was pretty near to Halloween (maybe around the 20th of October). We got in line for the 7D an hour before the party. Back then they said "Crowds would taper off towards the end." but we didn't see it. The one mistake I made is it was a Thursday party which I thought would be less crowded but now I know Tuesday. We wanted to see the princes and princesses together in toontown (before FLE) and we kept going over there and it was always a 45 minute wait. Finally broke down at 11:30 when the wait was down to 30 minutes. Poor DD was passed out - she never saw them. (We had decided we wanted to see 50 characters that trip, so we were really trying to see them, but the lines were crazy.) WE waited for the late parade hearing it was less crowded but holy cow there were SO many people - as many as at Spectromagic on a non-party night.

The Christmas party we did in 2013 was much less crowded. (We went in November on a Tuesday.) And we did OK until we tried to get into the hub to see the fireworks and it was SOOO packed at DD flipped out completely, so DW took her home, and I stuck around for a while and rode a few things trying to salvage some value for the night. (Again - that trip I blame less on Disney and more on our Daughter's inability to be up past 8 PM at WDW - which really has gone on most of her life.)

And this is partly why I agree to go this year - A Tuesday party in August - feeling that it will be about as low crowds as you can get for a party. (As you point out Touring Plans actually lists it as the (likely) second least crowded party

However, I still don't think I need a plan? I don't want to see characters - there's no way I waiting 2 hours for a character nowadays - I don't want to trick or treat, I just want to ride the rides. I know the couple of rides with special "overlays" - (Pirates, Tea Cups (blech) and Space Mountain) might get long lines, but we are doing HM with a FP so I don't think we have to worry about that one - and until we know exactly what the overlay is I am not sure I will care. (If Pirates is just they got a few pirate actors shouting at the boats for instance - and it leads to massive lines - that's a big SKIP for me.) I suspect no one knows when they'll start doing the overlay, and what exactly they'll be doing with those - so I'll keep my ear to the threads when the first party happens. (I think this is the THIRD party we are attending.) I used to go commando at Disney but I'm on my 17th trip and I am done with commando - I feel the same for the Halloween party. I haven't waited in line for something at WDW more than 30 minutes in 8 years and I don't want to start now. As I said, my standards for this are very low, and if I can see the Fireworks and the parade and get a few rides in beforehand I will be happy. And hey, I'm all for planning if you want to accomplish a lot, but I think I might enjoy the party more if I just take it mellow.

We don't want to plan for our party either. We're not interested in characters or rides at all and with the exception of HM and POTC we're not interested in rides either. All we want to do is enjoy the party at our own pace, watch the parades, shows and fireworks and perhaps ToT whenever we've got time for it. And I can't forget to get those magic shots available for the party either.

What's this card everyone keeps talking about? The one that you pick up at guest services?

We don't want to plan for our party either. We're not interested in characters or rides at all and with the exception of HM and POTC we're not interested in rides either. All we want to do is enjoy the party at our own pace, watch the parades, shows and fireworks and perhaps ToT whenever we've got time for it. And I can't forget to get those magic shots available for the party either.

What's this card everyone keeps talking about? The one that you pick up at guest services?

I completely understand wanting a carefree party but please know certain places tend to fill up like parade locations and Hocus Pocus. There have even been reports of Magic Shot lines forming as well as lines at popcorn carts. Knowing where to be and when the best time to get there will go a long way. It's not necessary for a minute by minute plan but if your certain about attending some things it's wise to have a plan for those.

The card we're referring to is the free party exclusive Sorcerer of the Magic Kingdom card. More information including photos can be found here: Post #438

I have noticed several items, like popcorn mickey Halloween buckets and speciality tee shirts(listed as new) on EBay.i guess if there is a limit of 5 per customer on the popcorn buckets, at $50-$60 on EBay, you can easily pay for 1-2 MNSSHP tickets that way. It’s not worth it to me.

I have noticed several items, like popcorn mickey Halloween buckets and speciality tee shirts(listed as new) on EBay.i guess if there is a limit of 5 per customer on the popcorn buckets, at $50-$60 on EBay, you can easily pay for 1-2 MNSSHP tickets that way. It’s not worth it to me.

Yep, that drives me crazy! The limit is 10 on popcorn buckets and apparel, 5 on LE Magicbands and LE Pins and that's per person and I believe this is per purchase and not per day. So nothing is stopping someone from buying all, unloading these items in their car and going back in to purchase more. It's unsettling to say the least.

Going August 31st just my sister and I.
I have FP+ for POTC at 3:15pm, JC at 4:15pm, and Space Mountain at 5:15pm.
We plan to do Mickey's Philharmagic and COP between JC and Space since we love those shows and they aren't open during the party.
We will likely eat at Cosmic Ray's, do some trick or treating, have some snacks, and just take in the atmosphere and then most likely end after the fireworks.
We mostly go to the parties for the atmosphere of MK that you don't get on a daily basis so we don't worry too much about seeing specific characters or shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter