“Real” One Hit Wonders

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
Yeah, technically the Grateful Dead are one hit wonders, but these are songs from artists who fizzled out quickly after their only success.

60s

Green Tambourine

70s

Kung Fu Fighting

80s

90s

00s

Stacy’s Mom

Any other favorite One Hit Wonders?

I love SVB. I have a hard time considering them a one hit wonder since they had more than one album as well as their own tv show, even though it was based on the popularity of AD. Their other music was actually much better than AD.

There are so many from the 80’s. Puttin‘ On The Ritz by Taco comes to mind, or Come On Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners, or Mickey by Toni Basil. It felt like most of the music back then was one hit wonders.

Len's "Steal My Sunshine" and Snow's "Informer" come to mind, although Snow has had a decent career within Canada and he was featured on Daddy Yankee's hit "Con Calma".

Similarly, Tom Cochrane only had the one hit in the US ("Life is a Highway") but he had a long career in Canada. And Maestro Fresh-Wes' "Let Your Backbone Slide" was a minor hit in the US but the man is hip-hop royalty in Canada.

Though they actually have two hits, they are nevertheless by my superior definition of one hit wonder a one hit wonder as that one hit is pretty much what they're known for.

Here's another. Katrina and the waves

And my favorite one hit wonder. Iron Butterfly

Last edited:
I don't think TV theme songs are supposed to hit number one, and yet...
That wasn’t their hit though, even though it was quite well known because it was a TV theme song. Their biggest was That’s Just the Way It Is Baby. That’s what I think of.

That wasn’t their hit though, even though it was quite well known because it was a TV theme song. Their biggest was That’s Just the Way It Is Baby. That’s what I think of.
I remember it as well (and it's a good song) but it is most certainly not the song The Rembrandts are best known for. Wikipedia shows that they didn't crack the mainstream top 40 with the song.

Meanwhile "I'll Be There For You" hit number 1 on the Top 40 and adult Top 40.

I remember it as well (and it's a good song) but it is most certainly not the song The Rembrandts are best known for. Wikipedia shows that they didn't crack the mainstream top 40 with the song.

Meanwhile "I'll Be There For You" hit number 1 on the Top 40 and adult Top 40.

Are you looking at the right list?

https://www.billboard.com/music/the-rembrandts/chart-history

Just The Way It Is, Baby #14 in 1991. I'll Be There For You/This House Is Not A Home #17 in 1995.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter