“Real” One Hit Wonders

Are you looking at the right list?

https://www.billboard.com/music/the-rembrandts/chart-history

Just The Way It Is, Baby #14 in 1991. I'll Be There For You/This House Is Not A Home #17 in 1995.
I was looking at the Billboard Top 40, which tracks airplay, whereas you are looking at the Billboard Hot 100.

An interesting fact about the Hot 100 was that. at that time a song could not be on the list until it was released as a single in the US, and "I'll Be There For You", for whatever reason, was released as a single AFTER it had peaked on the Top 40. At that point, I'm guessing people had either purchased the Rembrandts' album or the Friends soundtrack, which probably ate into the sales of the single.

And so you have a situation where a group's best known single was not their highest charting single on the Billboard Hot 100, yet is inarguably their biggest hit by virtually all other metrics.

The New Radicals, "You Get What You Give".
I believe they had actually broken up before their song hit the charts.

CrazyTown "Butterfly"

I was looking at the Billboard Top 40, which tracks airplay, whereas you are looking at the Billboard Hot 100.

An interesting fact about the Hot 100 was that. at that time a song could not be on the list until it was released as a single in the US, and "I'll Be There For You", for whatever reason, was released as a single AFTER it had peaked on the Top 40. At that point, I'm guessing people had either purchased the Rembrandts' album or the Friends soundtrack, which probably ate into the sales of the single.

And so you have a situation where a group's best known single was not their highest charting single on the Billboard Hot 100, yet is inarguably their biggest hit by virtually all other metrics.
I looked it up, and that’s from Billboard’s Top 40 Mainstream Pop listing of airplay on top 40 format radio stations, but not necessarily all radio. Just the Way It Is, Baby got a lot of airplay on our local alternative station even if it didn’t show up on the national charts. Still, I’d say The Rembrandts can’t really be considered a one hit wonder.

I am a huge Fountains of Wayne fan. Yes they only had one major breakthrough song but I think they have pretty strong following and many of their songs pop up all over the place Scrubs - Hey Julie, Prom Thee Gossip Girls and others, Sink to the Bottom - Marvelous Miss Mable. Lots of others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter