“Snow” day tomorrow for your school?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
For those of us expecting or already getting a big snowstorm, did your schools shut down? Here in MA most of the schools are having a “snow” day tomorrow...no in person or remote learning. I’m happy for the kids and teachers! Hope they all enjoy their day!

No snow day today, but snow day tomorrow (the 17th). Right now here in South Jersey it's snowing like crazy, but it's supposed to turn to sleety rain overnight. My aunt is a school bus aide and luckily had off today because the snow started earlier than expected.

I was wondering how schools were going to approach snow days this year. Our school hasn’t really mentioned if they will do virtual snow days or actual snow days

No snow day today, but snow day tomorrow (the 17th). Right now here in South Jersey it's snowing like crazy, but it's supposed to turn to sleety rain overnight. My aunt is a school bus aide and luckily had off today because the snow started earlier than expected.
It is headed our way! Supposed to start around 7pm. We are in the 12-18 inch range right now.

We're not in the path of this storm, but a couple weeks ago when we got like 18 - 24 inches of snow, my son did have a snow day. They're hybrid and the teachers are set up to stream classes from the school, but not from home, so they just closed school for that day.

I thought it might here too, but districts are mostly closing for this storm. If we weren’t expecting so much, they probably would have just done remote.

Actually I'm not sure what our district would do as most are virtual. That would be kind of a bummer as kids and teachers LOVE snow days now and then around here! :)

I'm in MA. My daughters' school system is full remote and they will continue learning tomorrow. I teach in a neighboring district in a hybrid situation. (I am in school every day.). The kids that are supposed to be learning in school tomorrow will be at home learning with me in zoom. It is the same for many districts around me. No real snow days this year for me or my daughters.

I'm in MA. My daughters' school system is full remote and they will continue learning tomorrow. I teach in a neighboring district in a hybrid situation. (I am in school every day.). The kids that are supposed to be learning in school tomorrow will be at home learning with me in zoom. It is the same for many districts around me. No real snow days this year for me or my daughters.
Aah that’s a shame. BUT you,will finish earlier in June at least!😊

In my area most districts have gotten rid of snow days - they're now just all virtual days . I lucked out however and my district is still allowing us to use our snow days as real snow days.

We have modified cyber days now instead of “snow days”.

So, the kids attend classes form 9am-11am and then finish their work and submit it by the end of the day.

Today is our district shut down day for cleaning (hybrid schedule) but tomorrow is a in person day for my daughter and she is having a snow day. And Friday starts Christmas break so....she will have almost 3 weeks off school :rolleyes1

I’m in south Jersey and the superintendent in my district said if the building can’t open it’ll be a snow day. We are hybrid with some kids being all virtual. DD is 100% virtual.

I say let the kids have a slow day. Some of my best childhood memories are from snow days. We were actually reminiscing about it a bit ago.

We were originally told the first 5 snow days this year would be “Flexible Instructional Days” where students would simply log on to their Google classroom and school virtually. (We are currently hybrid.)
However, we are now fully closed tomorrow. It is officially due to the wind associated with the storm and the potential for power/internet outages but I suspect it is more due to the fact that it’s our first real snow of the year and the week before Christmas break. We were told to prepare to either be normal or virtual on Friday. If they can’t get us open on Friday, we will be virtual.

My district is kind of responsible for the old blizzard bags. However they always made it a point to give us an old fashioned snow day each year, early in the season. We are in ski country and they appreciate the need to find a balance. They intend to have most of our bad weather days this year be "at home remote" days but tomorrow is an old fashioned snow day. This SLP who is months behind on paperwork is so grateful to be able to spend tomorrow in PJs, catching up on the paperwork, while watching Christmas movies.

I teach preschool in a school that's preschool through grade 6. We are in person 5 days a week and we have a real snow day today. :)

DS is an 8th grader and his school is using a hybrid plan. He has his normal remote learning day today, so no fun for him. :worried:

I'm in Maine. The district I teach in has said that the first three snow days will be actual snow days (no remote learning). They will reevaluate depending upon how quickly we use them. My son attends a different district and they didn't say how they would handle snow days. But we both got word last night that we would have snow day today! Even though it's so close to a vacation and one of my son's two days of in-person classes, it is much needed.

I was wondering how schools were going to approach snow days this year. Our school hasn’t really mentioned if they will do virtual snow days or actual snow days
I say let the kids have a slow day. Some of my best childhood memories are from snow days. We were actually reminiscing about it a bit ago.

Our superintendent sent out a letter a few weeks ago regarding snow days this year. I copied a section of it below (bolding mine).

"COVID-19 has taken so much from us. From the tragedy of lives lost to missed opportunities and disrupting many of the simple pleasures in life. As we move into the winter, inclement weather is more likely. The safety of staff and students drives the decision about whether to close school or not. Remote learning has allowed us to learn virtually even though buildings may be closed. However, we have decided that snow days should remain as snow days whenever possible!

Snow days are opportunities to be a kid, play outside, and enjoy time with family making memories. We believe these experiences are essential for children. Therefore, we will balance the excitement of snow days and implementing virtual days to limit disruptions to learning."

The last sentence gives me the impression that if we get bad weather, kids will get 1-2 snow days and then do virtual learning if they need to be out longer than that. Yesterday and today we had two-hour delays (no snow here, just freezing rain)

It seems only fair that our kids get a snow day when many others are getting them. Unfortunately, the Miami-Dade School Board doesn't agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter