“The Virus is Going to Find Them”

"A Kaiser Family Foundation survey in April found that 3 in 10 rural residents said they would "definitely not" get a Covid-19 vaccine or they would get one only if they were required to have it -- more than those in urban or suburban areas."

Well, that's on them. At this point, if people haven't gotten a vaccine yet, it's largely because they don't want to. You can't save people from themselves.

"A Kaiser Family Foundation survey in April found that 3 in 10 rural residents said they would "definitely not" get a Covid-19 vaccine or they would get one only if they were required to have it -- more than those in urban or suburban areas."

Well, that's on them. At this point, if people haven't gotten a vaccine yet, it's largely because they don't want to. You can't save people from themselves.
I mostly agree. Except kids. Kids haven't had the choice to get one yet.

people haven't gotten a vaccine for the flu for decades it's largely because they don't want to. You can't save people from the flu even though the circle of knowing folks with the flu is greater than knowing folks with covid. the previous campaign to vaccinate for the flu is the largest barrier to covid vaccine did not do it then. will not do it now . did not need it for the flu...don't need it for covid. I never had a flu vaccine until I caught the flu...really scared me so it was simple to get the shot....but in my social circle they still didn't get the flu vaccine.... and for sure not for covid.

Doesn’t take into account all the people who have had covid already and have natural immunity. If an outbreak does happen somewhere, I feel very confident that it can be handled at the state level. Just another article trying to scare people.

Doesn’t take into account all the people who have had covid already and have natural immunity. If an outbreak does happen somewhere, I feel very confident that it can be handled at the state level.

I agree. But it also doesn't consider people who had covid, who got vaccinated. So that still leaves a pretty good gap I would imagine. I think they understand the numbers and are just presenting them as they are. I don't know how long natural immunity lasts -do you? As far as it being a "scare" tactic, it could be a way to persuade people to do what they see as the right thing -get a vaccine ...so sure. I wasn't scared by the article and I'd bet a lot of others weren't either. It makes perfectly logical sense.....

people haven't gotten a vaccine for the flu for decades it's largely because they don't want to. You can't save people from the flu even though the circle of knowing folks with the flu is greater than knowing folks with covid. the previous campaign to vaccinate for the flu is the largest barrier to covid vaccine did not do it then. will not do it now . did not need it for the flu...don't need it for covid. I never had a flu vaccine until I caught the flu...really scared me so it was simple to get the shot....but in my social circle they still didn't get the flu vaccine.... and for sure not for covid.

People have a lot of reasons why they do or don’t get a vaccine. For me, there is a component they use in flu vaccines that I can have a reaction to, so my doctor says the risk of the flu is better for me than the risk from the vaccine. So I never get the flu vaccine. I asked my doctor about the Covid vaccine, concerned that it might harm me, and he said that one would be OK, so I got it. I have to look at each vaccine individually and make decisions accordingly.

I don’t have a problem with people who want more information or who will feel more comfortable when the final and complete approval comes through (which I understand Pfizer has applied for) as opposed to an emergency use. For a young person, the risk of long term side effects, both from the disease and the vaccine, is a legitimate concern that older vaccine recipients wouldn’t have to consider as much. I think a lot of these people will be vaccinated, hopefully sooner than later. I don’t have a problem with anyone who has a medical reason that prevents them from getting the vaccine. If everyone who can get the vaccine does so, those people will be protected too.

I do have a problem, in the case of Covid, with people who say they just don’t want to, period. I feel that is being selfish, and that they only care about themselves. For example, those rural people mentioned earlier in this thread probably think they don’t see many people and aren’t in crowded areas, so there’s no need to worry. That may be true a lot of the time. That is, until they go on a vacation, graduation, wedding, family reunion, etc. and are exposed in a group setting they didn’t consider when making their decision. Does this only affect them, or does it affect their entire community? Will they have access to the healthcare they need in a rural setting?

I understand the concept of individual freedom, and support it most of the time, but occasionally it does need to be set aside for the greater good of the global community. One person does make a difference. I don’t think the vaccine should be required, but that people should care enough about the situation to want to do the right thing and minimize the risk for everyone. I haven’t given up hope yet.

People have a lot of reasons why they do or don’t get a vaccine. For me, there is a component they use in flu vaccines that I can have a reaction to, so my doctor says the risk of the flu is better for me than the risk from the vaccine. So I never get the flu vaccine. I asked my doctor about the Covid vaccine, concerned that it might harm me, and he said that one would be OK, so I got it. I have to look at each vaccine individually and make decisions accordingly.

I understand the concept of individual freedom, and support it most of the time, but occasionally it does need to be set aside for the greater good of the global community. One person does make a difference. I don’t think the vaccine should be required, but that people should care enough about the situation to want to do the right thing and minimize the risk for everyone. I haven’t given up hope yet.
very good.....but unfortunately this looking like once again you will have to support the concept of individual freedom. In my non-flu vaccine community there is no concept of global.....even if they go to the olive bar, wing bar, salad bar or touch that grocery store handle....that is not global enough for them, it is their neighborhood and hence safe. Even with my flu vaccine...I would always use the alchool dispensers provided in those community serving handles...several times I would do that ...because the one person at the buffet who is not santizing....could be that flu carrier and there are many folks who do not sanitize their hands in food buffet environments , you would think that would be the right thing in that germy situation Why just watch the shopping cart corral inside the store and how folks still do not santize.....did not catch the swine flu ( I think the start of cart sanitizing era) In my community it is past history of what did not happen in the "global " visits hence dictating the lack of vaccination

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/19/health/uneven-vaccination-rates-covid-19-trends/index.htmlSCARY. Got to have this thing under control to get us all back to as close as normal as possible.

11%? Come on McPherson County, you're not even tryin. Fortunately, I have no tourism plans there any time soon.

When I decide where to go on a vacation am I going to to go to San Francisco where nearly 70% of the population has had one dose or Mt. Lassen where that figure is barely over 20%?
If I decide to head over to Yosemite, am I stopping in Mariposa or Oakhurst for anything? Given their numbers uhhhh nope. I'm sure that unlike everywhere else with the same sign, your blueberry pancakes really are the best in the world but I'm going to have to forgo them this time. :) Am I going to Myrtle beach where that county is showing 33% are fully vaccinated or Panama city where that county is not even up to 30% with just one dose? Or maybe somewhere else entirely. It's not like I can't find another beach.

very good.....but unfortunately this looking like once again you will have to support the concept of individual freedom. In my non-flu vaccine community there is no concept of global.....even if they go to the olive bar, wing bar, salad bar or touch that grocery store handle....that is not global enough for them, it is their neighborhood and hence safe. Even with my flu vaccine...I would always use the alchool dispensers provided in those community serving handles...several times I would do that ...because the one person at the buffet who is not santizing....could be that flu carrier and there are many folks who do not sanitize their hands in food buffet environments , you would think that would be the right thing in that germy situation Why just watch the shopping cart corral inside the store and how folks still do not santize.....did not catch the swine flu ( I think the start of cart sanitizing era) In my community it is past history of what did not happen in the "global " visits hence dictating the lack of vaccination

The sad thing is when they learn the error of their ways, it may be too late for some of them. Hopefully they won’t infect someone outside their own immediate family. They don’t understand that you have to learn from our collective history, not just their personal one.

I am not a total germaphobe, because I believe living your life helps build your immune system. But I was never a fan of buffets, primarily because of norovirus outbreaks. I agree with you about no one sanitizing at a buffet. I will do just about anything to avoid vomiting, and if that means I don’t eat at a buffet, well, I won’t. The worst is when you see people tasting food as they go through the line. :sad2:

They are still sanitizing the carts at my grocery, but even pre Covid, they had sanitizing wipes so you could do it yourself. Actually, a lot of the patrons here did self sanitize the carts, enough that it really caught your attention when someone didn’t.

11%? Come on McPherson County, you're not even tryin. Fortunately, I have no tourism plans there any time soon.

When I decide where to go on a vacation am I going to to go to San Francisco where nearly 70% of the population has had one dose or Mt. Lassen where that figure is barely over 20%?
Mt. Lassen...does it need reservations...did not know about tourist features....anyhow...Yosemite made the CBS news....going to need a reservation!!!

Mt. Lassen...does it need reservations...did not know about tourist features....anyhow...Yosemite made the CBS news....going to need a reservation!!!

Kind of weird this was mentioned, but I've been there a couple of times. I don't think they take reservations for daily entry.

It's Lassen Volcanic National Park and the name of the mountain is actually Lassen Peak. The main draw would be Bumpass Hell, which is filled with thermal features. No geysers, but lots of fumaroles and mud pots. The trail may not be easily traveled depending on how much snow. Right now they're saying it's not open, but may be open in June or July depending on how fast the snow melts. It's a hiking trail, so they don't go in with snow removal equipment. Another big spot there is Manzanita Lake.

https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/hikebumpasshell.htm

As for the area and people getting vaccinated, it's in a really rural area. The bigger towns in the area are Redding and Red Bluff. If the thing about vaccination rates was about Lassen County, then I'd believe it. The biggest town in Lassen County is Susanville, where the economy is heavily dependent on several prisons.

If I decide to head over to Yosemite, am I stopping in Mariposa or Oakhurst for anything? Given their numbers uhhhh nope. I'm sure that unlike everywhere else with the same sign, your blueberry pancakes really are the best in the world but I'm going to have to forgo them this time. :) Am I going to Myrtle beach where that county is showing 33% are fully vaccinated or Panama city where that county is not even up to 30% with just one dose? Or maybe somewhere else entirely. It's not like I can't find another beach.
Lol Covid vaccination rates doesn't even rank in the top 10 things I'd be concerned about when considering San Francisco. I have never been so grossed out by a city in my life.

The sad thing is when they learn the error of their ways, it may be too late for some of them. Hopefully they won’t infect someone outside their own immediate family. They don’t understand that you have to learn from our collective history, not just their personal one.

I am not a total germaphobe, because I believe living your life helps build your immune system. But I was never a fan of buffets, primarily because of norovirus outbreaks. I agree with you about no one sanitizing at a buffet. I will do just about anything to avoid vomiting, and if that means I don’t eat at a buffet, well, I won’t. The worst is when you see people tasting food as they go through the line. :sad2:

They are still sanitizing the carts at my grocery, but even pre Covid, they had sanitizing wipes so you could do it yourself. Actually, a lot of the patrons here did self sanitize the carts, enough that it really caught your attention when someone didn’t.
This statement couldn't be more true. Too much sterility is probably worse than not enough. The people who have been cooped up for over a year are going to catch something non-covid related when they do venture out to re-prime their immune systems. It happens every year when the kids go back to school after summer break.

Deciding where to go on vacation based on vaccination rates has never even crossed my mind. I'm sure it has for others though.

Lol Covid vaccination rates doesn't even rank in the top 10 things I'd be concerned about when considering San Francisco. I have never been so grossed out by a city in my life.

LA is pretty bad, too. Santa Monica used to be so nice, now hypodermic needles on the ground, couches and chairs on the sidewalks that people sleep on, the human droppings, it's just horrible. Such a disgrace. Don't know how people stand for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter