“The Virus is Going to Find Them”

LA has been a cesspool for a LONG time. It's funny how people are just starting to notice it now.

I went to Venice and Santa Monica all the time for work in 2000 and it was not a cesspool then. I stayed at Shutters on the Beach, and the Fairmont Miramar. Went back in 2008 for a wedding and still pretty nice. Went back a few years ago with my kids and ..... no ... I won't be back.

I went to Venice and Santa Monica all the time for work in 2000 and it was not a cesspool then. I stayed at Shutters on the Beach, and the Farimont Miramar. Went back in 2008 for a wedding and still pretty nice. Went back a few years ago with my kids and ..... no ... I won't be back.

10+ years is what I would call a long time. It's been bad since at least 2010.

LA is pretty bad, too. Santa Monica used to be so nice, now hypodermic needles on the ground, couches and chairs on the sidewalks that people sleep on, the human droppings, it's just horrible. Such a disgrace. Don't know how people stand for it.
Yeah. I feel like Covid would be the least of my concerns when I think about things I could catch there lol

What I took from that article is that experts agree it's important to get vaccinated because it's possible that the virus passing around these unvaccinated pockets can create a variant that evades current vaccines and/or treatments.

Haven't we been saying this for a while now? I know I have, on this board even.

Get vaccinated.

"A Kaiser Family Foundation survey in April found that 3 in 10 rural residents said they would "definitely not" get a Covid-19 vaccine or they would get one only if they were required to have it -- more than those in urban or suburban areas."

Well, that's on them. At this point, if people haven't gotten a vaccine yet, it's largely because they don't want to. You can't save people from themselves.

Sadly, if we don't get a handle on this worldwide, it's probably going to mutate and we'll all need another round of shots. So far the vaccine makers/testers seem to think the current vaccine works against known variants, but that's no guarantee it will stay that way. It just takes a pocket of unvaccinated people to breed a mutation (what an image!)

people haven't gotten a vaccine for the flu for decades it's largely because they don't want to. You can't save people from the flu even though the circle of knowing folks with the flu is greater than knowing folks with covid. the previous campaign to vaccinate for the flu is the largest barrier to covid vaccine did not do it then. will not do it now . did not need it for the flu...don't need it for covid. I never had a flu vaccine until I caught the flu...really scared me so it was simple to get the shot....but in my social circle they still didn't get the flu vaccine.... and for sure not for covid.

The flu has been around for a while. Lots of us have already been exposed/had many of the variants and have natural immunity. COVID is new and much more virulent right now. Someday it will be like the flu, but it's too new for that at the moment. 30K-40K people die of the flu on average each year in the US. So far we've had over 600K deaths from COVID. I get what you are saying - some people who don't get the flu shot don't think they need the COVID shots. They're ignorant.

Doesn’t take into account all the people who have had covid already and have natural immunity. If an outbreak does happen somewhere, I feel very confident that it can be handled at the state level. Just another article trying to scare people.

How about the people who have gotten COVID twice? From https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2021/03/02/reinfection

The researchers said their findings were "noteworthy" because they suggest that people with asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 during their first infections "do not produce a sufficiently robust immune response to prevent infection" again.
Further, the researchers added that their findings "suggest the possibility that disease can be more severe during a second infection" (O'Reilly, Axios, 2/25; Higgins-Dunn, CNBC, 2/25; Walker, MedPage Today, 2/25; Harvey et. al., JAMA Internal Medicine, 2/24; Cavanaugh et. al., Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 2/26).

LA is pretty bad, too. Santa Monica used to be so nice, now hypodermic needles on the ground, couches and chairs on the sidewalks that people sleep on, the human droppings, it's just horrible. Such a disgrace. Don't know how people stand for it.
They stand it because saying anything would seem elitist and insensitive, and in elitist California, that’s about the worst thing you can be called.

Again people are getting bashed for not getting it. And for the folks who may not be able to get it for health reasons.

I don't think it is so much that people stand for it (and it certainly isn't unique to CA's major cities) but that it is a problem without easy answers... unlike covid, which at this point does have an easy answer if more people were willing to accept it.

Again people are getting bashed for not getting it. And for the folks who may not be able to get it for health reasons.
Never saw anyone say anything negative about someone who medically can't get a vaccine (or complete the series as has been the case at this point). Unfortunately for those people the ones who choose to not just add a wider pool of people to the mix. Both groups should still be wearing masks at this point.

Kind of weird this was mentioned, but I've been there a couple of times. I don't think they take reservations for daily entry.

It's Lassen Volcanic National Park . The biggest town in Lassen County is Susanville, where the economy is heavily dependent on several prisons.
thank you....because of fires in september we traveled 395 our of oregon and saw the prisons.. I thought susanville was always the last place to get supplies before going into the unihabtted californina . we normally take 97 up and over the grade into the meadows of northern calif.

thank you....because of fires in september we traveled 395 our of oregon and saw the prisons.. I thought susanville was always the last place to get supplies before going into the unihabtted californina . we normally take 97 up and over the grade into the meadows of northern calif.

There was a documentary on how they were reliant on prisons for their economy.

http://archive.pov.org/film-files/pov_prisontown_dg_action_discussion_file_0.pdf

And they're closing one of the main prisons near Susanville because of a reduction in California prison population.

https://www.kolotv.com/2021/04/25/c...correctional-center-could-cripple-susanville/

There was a documentary on how they were reliant on prisons for their economy.

http://archive.pov.org/film-files/pov_prisontown_dg_action_discussion_file_0.pdf

And they're closing one of the main prisons near Susanville because of a reduction in California prison population.

https://www.kolotv.com/2021/04/25/c...correctional-center-could-cripple-susanville/
and Newsom has all that extra money.....hmmmm......that he has been boasting about to support calif econmy...hmmm....lassen county hmm. Oh well...their safeway still has the best wings....we stop and buy them along with Mcd drinks....then I throw the bones out the window as we drive up the grade...and a can of red bull in case we go over the cliff.

and Newsom has all that extra money.....hmmmm......that he has been boasting about to support calif econmy...hmmm....lassen county hmm.

There's been a lot of controversy over prison locations. Many consider being locked up at High Desert or CCC Susanville to make it more difficult for visitation. As much as San Quentin is old and not as modern, many inmates request it.

The state's prison population is going down. There's been about 50,000 fewer inmates in California state prisons compared to a decade ago. Also - some lower level felonies can now be served at county jails. Expending money on empty prisons simply to benefit local economies doesn't seem a very responsible way to spend money.

Never saw anyone say anything negative about someone who medically can't get a vaccine (or complete the series as has been the case at this point). Unfortunately for those people the ones who choose to not just add a wider pool of people to the mix. Both groups should still be wearing masks at this point.
I mentioned on another thread that I was advised against getting my second shot. With all that I’ve been reading and hearing in the news, I’m contemplating just rolling the dice and getting the shot anyway.
People don’t seem to differentiate between not wanting the vaccine and those being unable to get it. And I have an idea that if you’re not fully vaccinated (for any reason) you are going to be excluded from many, many things.

I mentioned on another thread that I was advised against getting my second shot. With all that I’ve been reading and hearing in the news, I’m contemplating just rolling the dice and getting the shot anyway.
People don’t seem to differentiate between not wanting the vaccine and those being unable to get it. And I have an idea that if you’re not fully vaccinated (for any reason) you are going to be excluded from many, many things.
I remember your issue (a rash wasn't it?). I sympathize with you on that because it obviously puts you in a tough spot. I still maintain that people aren't saying anything bad towards those who medically cannot get it which is what the PP was saying that people were being bashed for not being able to medically get it.

Your concern about being excluded, and I'm being blunt here, is the exact concern I had and shared with my husband and my sister-in-law about my father-in-law's wife. She was initially dead set against the vaccine but eventually (and we think mostly health issues of her own and seeing people close to her die though not from covid convinced her) she said she would. She got her first shot but her second shot she delayed it because she was going out of town and didn't want to worry about the side effects. She TBH almost bragged "maybe I'll just become a statistic"...but my mind immediately went towards what if places require proof of full vaccination will she now be excluded from doing things with us? Then I was like well I'm not sure how much attention they will pay attention to the exact vaccine you got to know you needed 2 doses" and then I was like well those who weren't cleared to medically get the second dose well that's going to add a complication in there do they just give an exception what does it look like to do that?

I think you and I are both thinking far ahead but I do understand the position you are under. I still think people are much more sympathetic towards medical exceptions. Perhaps the issue is so many people claim that that we've become conditioned to question it, morally right or wrong.

*I don't know if father-in-law's wife got her 2nd dose but I sure hope she has, she does not have a medical reason to decline it in fact she had no issues with her first dose whatsoever other than I think small injection site pain (no throbbing arm though).

I don't think there are going to be many things you can't do if you don't have the vaccine. Maybe some in the near-term like travelling internationally, but if a business or event will lose money over it, they will make another way. For example, Lalapalooza in Chicago is happening this summer. You need a vaccine OR a negative covid test. They are not going to lose out on income because someone isn't vaccinated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter