“The Virus is Going to Find Them”

@penn19 I don't know the reason you have been advised against a second shot, but I thought I would share my sister's story in case it might help you. She had an absolutely horrendous reaction to the first Pfizer shot, about 11 hours after receiving it. Consequently, no doctor would approve her getting a second one or substituting with Moderna, as they are so similar.

So after consulting with three different doctors, one being an allergist, they all agreed that she should get the J & J which she did, about 4-5 weeks after the Pfizer. She did not have a reaction to it but as she is 54, they told her to watch for signs of a clot for the next two weeks. Thankfully, she finished the two weeks now and has not had a problem, although she is still dealing with some of the problems caused by the Pfizer.

If you want to be fully vaccinated, and you had a similar kind of issue reacting with one type, maybe you can consult with some doctors to get their opinions about changing your vaccine. Just another idea.

@penn19 I don't know the reason you have been advised against a second shot, but I thought I would share my sister's story in case it might help you. She had an absolutely horrendous reaction to the first Pfizer shot, about 11 hours after receiving it. Consequently, no doctor would approve her getting a second one or substituting with Moderna, as they are so similar.

So after consulting with three different doctors, one being an allergist, they all agreed that she should get the J & J which she did, about 4-5 weeks after the Pfizer. She did not have a reaction to it but as she is 54, they told her to watch for signs of a clot for the next two weeks. Thankfully, she finished the two weeks now and has not had a problem, although she is still dealing with some of the problems caused by the Pfizer.

If you want to be fully vaccinated, and you had a similar kind of issue reacting with one type, maybe you can consult with some doctors to get their opinions about changing your vaccine. Just another idea.
Within a couple hours my face broke out in a rash. And as with most things related to Covid/vaccines, there’s differing opinions I guess. I was told do not mix different shots. One of the medical professionals told me to sit tight and hopefully there will be new guidelines in the future when more research is done.

Within a couple hours my face broke out in a rash. And as with most things related to Covid/vaccines, there’s differing opinions I guess. I was told do not mix different shots. One of the medical professionals told me to sit tight and hopefully there will be new guidelines in the future when more research is done.
So true about the differing opinions regarding all of this. We are in unchartered territory this past year.
At least you do have some protection from the first shot. Stay safe!

11%? Come on McPherson County, you're not even tryin. Fortunately, I have no tourism plans there any time soon.

When I decide where to go on a vacation am I going to to go to San Francisco where nearly 70% of the population has had one dose or Mt. Lassen where that figure is barely over 20%?
If I decide to head over to Yosemite, am I stopping in Mariposa or Oakhurst for anything? Given their numbers uhhhh nope. I'm sure that unlike everywhere else with the same sign, your blueberry pancakes really are the best in the world but I'm going to have to forgo them this time. :) Am I going to Myrtle beach where that county is showing 33% are fully vaccinated or Panama city where that county is not even up to 30% with just one dose? Or maybe somewhere else entirely. It's not like I can't find another beach.

If you are vaccinated, why are you worried? I am vaccinated myself and the point of being vaccinated is you won't get covid or will have a very mild case. I don't check areas of who has been vaccinated and who hasn't.

I mentioned on another thread that I was advised against getting my second shot. With all that I’ve been reading and hearing in the news, I’m contemplating just rolling the dice and getting the shot anyway.
People don’t seem to differentiate between not wanting the vaccine and those being unable to get it. And I have an idea that if you’re not fully vaccinated (for any reason) you are going to be excluded from many, many things.

I recommend getting the shot in a hospital or medical facility close to a hospital, just in case you get a reaction. My sister and I got our vaccines in the middle of no where and afterwards I thought that that was not the smartest move just in case one of us did have a reaction.

Hi, I had a rash also, on the side of my face and down my neck that on the side of my body that got the first shot, which started about 11ish hours afterwards. I used Benadryl cream and kept Benadryl pills and my autoinjector next to me that night, but everything was fine after just applying the cream. The spots had faded a lot by the next day and were just a little itchy. They went away completely after a couple days. I have bad environmental allergies but I don't have a history of anaphylaxis, but a specific rash like that is an indicator that it could happen if exposed again, so I'm guessing that is why you were advised against. If you don't have a history of anaphylaxis, you will probably be okay though. I had no rash issues at all following the second shot. Obviously, follow your physician's orders, but I just wanted to share my experience.

Hi, I had a rash also, on the side of my face and down my neck that on the side of my body that got the first shot, which started about 11ish hours afterwards. I used Benadryl cream and kept Benadryl pills and my autoinjector next to me that night, but everything was fine after just applying the cream. The spots had faded a lot by the next day and were just a little itchy. They went away completely after a couple days. I have bad environmental allergies but I don't have a history of anaphylaxis, but a specific rash like that is an indicator that it could happen if exposed again, so I'm guessing that is why you were advised against. If you don't have a history of anaphylaxis, you will probably be okay though. I had no rash issues at all following the second shot. Obviously, follow your physician's orders, but I just wanted to share my experience.
Very good to know. That’s why I’ve indicated that maybe I’m just going to roll the dice.

It is all so idiopathic, isn’t? My sister’s reaction did not involve a rash but was severe vomiting and diarrhea, followed by a sudden drop in blood pressure which made her pass out on the bathroom floor. She knocked her two front teeth out and suffered a concussion, two black eyes and a bruised swollen nose. Luckily, x- rays for a skull and other facial fractures came back negative. Her potassium level still isn’t back to normal yet despite taking prescribed meds for it. She has had two root canals and will be getting two crowns. I feel so bad for her.
Her allergist had her tested for the known allergen in the Pfizer, and it came back as negative. But he still feels she is allergic to it regardless, and came up with the plan for J & J after getting two other opinions.

Here’s where I mean the whole thing with Covid is such a mystery. She didn’t have so much as a sore arm with the second shot. Nada.

Definitely follow your doctor’s advice and your own gut. It sounds like you are.

It is all so idiopathic, isn’t? My sister’s reaction did not involve a rash but was severe vomiting and diarrhea, followed by a sudden drop in blood pressure which made her pass out on the bathroom floor. She knocked her two front teeth out and suffered a concussion, two black eyes and a bruised swollen nose. Luckily, x- rays for a skull and other facial fractures came back negative. Her potassium level still isn’t back to normal yet despite taking prescribed meds for it. She has had two root canals and will be getting two crowns. I feel so bad for her.
Her allergist had her tested for the known allergen in the Pfizer, and it came back as negative. But he still feels she is allergic to it regardless, and came up with the plan for J & J after getting two other opinions.

Here’s where I mean the whole thing with Covid is such a mystery. She didn’t have so much as a sore arm with the second shot. Nada.

Definitely follow your doctor’s advice and your own gut. It sounds like you are.
Oh my gosh that’s horrible! I’m so sorry to hear that about your sister. That’s scary.

How about the people who have gotten COVID twice? From https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2021/03/02/reinfection

The researchers said their findings were "noteworthy" because they suggest that people with asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 during their first infections "do not produce a sufficiently robust immune response to prevent infection" again.
Further, the researchers added that their findings "suggest the possibility that disease can be more severe during a second infection" (O'Reilly, Axios, 2/25; Higgins-Dunn, CNBC, 2/25; Walker, MedPage Today, 2/25; Harvey et. al., JAMA Internal Medicine, 2/24; Cavanaugh et. al., Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 2/26).

At the beginning of February 2020 I came down with a respiratory bug that didn't seem bad, but lingered for a month. I had a dry cough and got easily winded, but otherwise I went about my business. I wound up coming down with a pretty nasty dose of Covid later that year, and now I can't help but wonder if that respiratory bug was actually a mild case of Covid. I was still sick at the end of February, and the lockdown was only a couple of weeks later. So, if I *did* get it twice, the second one was waaaaay worse.

At the beginning of February 2020 I came down with a respiratory bug that didn't seem bad, but lingered for a month. I had a dry cough and got easily winded, but otherwise I went about my business. I wound up coming down with a pretty nasty dose of Covid later that year, and now I can't help but wonder if that respiratory bug was actually a mild case of Covid. I was still sick at the end of February, and the lockdown was only a couple of weeks later. So, if I *did* get it twice, the second one was waaaaay worse.
My husband and I had a flu-type bug in Feb 2020 too. We thought maybe it was covid, but he was antibody tested later and it was negative. We had actual covid in October and it was a walk in the park compared to what we had in February. Didn’t even realize we had it until the loss of smell. It was just like a cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter