1 Day in Orlando: what would you do?

I would think you'd be too tired to go to a Disney Park. But if you do choose to go to DHS, know that you may not get on Rise of the Resistance. It breaks down all of the time and if you're not staying at a Disney resort, your chances of getting a ILL for it are nil. Personally ,I was a huge Star Wars fan but Galaxies Edge was a huge disappointment. I enjoy Star Tours more than RotR and the Millenium Falcon ride. It's a small land that's extremely crowded. It's hard to enjoy the place with the crowds. If you don't get to go this trip, maybe it will be less crowded by the time that you do get to go back. Also, if you have a VR headset (or even a laptop), you can get a pretty good feel for the ride through VR rides. My kids want to go back to see Remy and told them to watch it in VR. It's better because there's no lines lol
Just have to present another POV… I thought Galaxy’s Edge was stunning, especially at nighttime. I like both RotR and Smuggler’s Run. The theming is beautiful. Had a great QS meal at Docking Bay 7.

It is totally worth it but I still probably wouldn’t tack it on after a cruise.

Just have to present another POV… I thought Galaxy’s Edge was stunning, especially at nighttime. I like both RotR and Smuggler’s Run. The theming is beautiful. Had a great QS meal at Docking Bay 7.

It is totally worth it but I still probably wouldn’t tack it on after a cruise.
Thanks, @greeneyedchick and @MonaMN.

I'm still excited to see all the "new" things at DHS but this forum has convinced me that that day will best be spent by a pool with no plans... so that's what we're going to do.

Thanks everyone!

I think I would do a pool day, but instead of an evening at Disney Springs perhaps do a tour of the monorail resorts. You could plan dinner at the California Grille during fireworks, or watch them from locations at the Poly or GF. There are even fireworks cruises on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

This is my suggestion as I do not care for Disney Springs on Saturday, especially Saturday night. It's just too crowded.

Saturday is the busiest day during the week at the parks. You lose rope drop coming from the cruise which is a good hour as is. It is doable but honestly its long and hectic. Volcano Bay isn't as bad but still has similar logistics, plus your still in storm season so you could end up with 2-3 hours of closure in the afternoon.

Swim day and late dinner at Disney springs will be the easiest low stress in the end. If anything slows you down that morning doing a park will feel more and more hectic.

We had the same dilemma. We’re actually on the cruise the week before you and get off on the 8th. We also had a 5:30 am return flight but it’s been changed to 8:45. We had the hardest time figuring out what to do but ultimately decided on a resort day. We lucked up and scored 1 night at the Poly. We rented a pool cabana for the day and plan on hanging out at the resort all day and watch fireworks from the beach that night.

You made the choice I would have. Less cranky people (kids or adults) for the flight home.

Have a Great vacation!

I think I would do a pool day, but instead of an evening at Disney Springs perhaps do a tour of the monorail resorts. You could plan dinner at the California Grille during fireworks, or watch them from locations at the Poly or GF. There are even fireworks cruises on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

This is my suggestion as I do not care for Disney Springs on Saturday, especially Saturday night. It's just too crowded.
This is great feedback and a great plan, @dcassetta Thank you. I think we need an early dinner and probably be back in our room by fireworks. Supposedly you can see park fireworks from Bonnet Creek? But yes, I'll towards monorail and away from DS.

Volcano Bay isn't as bad but still has similar logistics, plus your still in storm season so you could end up with 2-3 hours of closure in the afternoon.
Great point, @Bibbidi_Boo. Everyone has convinced me to do a resort day.

We had the same dilemma. We’re actually on the cruise the week before you and get off on the 8th. We also had a 5:30 am return flight but it’s been changed to 8:45. We had the hardest time figuring out what to do but ultimately decided on a resort day. We lucked up and scored 1 night at the Poly. We rented a pool cabana for the day and plan on hanging out at the resort all day and watch fireworks from the beach that night.
Wow. That sounds magical, @NoodlesMom. Unfortunately, our crew of 6 doesn't fit at the Poly, but I think we can pull off a similar scenario at Bonnet Creek. (Minus the beach and wonderful Poly-vibes, of course.)

You made the choice I would have. Less cranky people (kids or adults) for the flight home.

Have a Great vacation!
Thanks so much, @auntlynne!

Ok... here I go, re-opening what I thought was a closed discussion and decision made.

To catch up: we disembark from 7 days aboard the Fantasy at Port Canaveral on Saturday 10/15. Our flight doesn't leave MCO until Sunday morning at 6:45. The previous question is what would you do with one free day in Orlando.

Current plan: is a relaxing pool day at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, plus an early dinner at Boma (explore AK Lodge a bit, we've never been there) and back in our rooms in time to catch the fireworks from Harmonious from our room... lights out early and then a Lyft to MCO at 5 a.m.

I started recently questioning that plan for a couple of reasons.

#1 I asked this same question of Brian and Sam of the DCL Duo Podcast and they just answered my question in a recent episode. Their idea is that 3/4ths a day at Epcot might be a soft enough landing for us post-cruise.

#2 My DW really wants us to find a hotel right near MCO to take make our airport trip the next morning that much easier.

We can find an airport hotel for cheaper than Bonnet Creek (but it won't have all the great pools/lazy rivers). If I cancel Boma that saves me $300... at that point, tix to Epcot are only $400 more. AND we have not yet experienced Remy or Cosmic Rewind.

So here I am asking the same question again. Epcot or pool day?

The kid in me obviously wants to choose Epcot. (It's been 3+ years since we've been to WDW and I don't know when our next trip will be.) BUT the adult in me is worried about tiring out already tired kids.

I'm still open to wisdom, thoughts, and suggestions.

And thanks for putting up with my shenanigans.

Are you planning to rent a car? If not, the new plan has some challenges - getting to the airport hotel because you cannot take your luggage to Epcot, getting to Epcot, and getting back to the airport hotel. Also, make sure and look at the thread about Genie/LL/VQ as getting to see Remy and GOTG may be a challenge.

Are you planning to rent a car? If not, the new plan has some challenges - getting to the airport hotel because you cannot take your luggage to Epcot, getting to Epcot, and getting back to the airport hotel. Also, make sure and look at the thread about Genie/LL/VQ as getting to see Remy and GOTG may be a challenge.
Thank you. Right now the plan is (in addition to requesting an early check-in) to Lyft to whatever hotel we're staying at and checking our bags with the front desk before heading out. That said, I'm going to add up the approximate cost for all the Lyfts and check that against rental car and parking rates. I need to do that tonight.

Re: Virtual Queue for GOTG, I've heard that people have had a little more success with the 1 p.m. option once actually in the park. Who knows if that's true or not.

Thank you. Right now the plan is (in addition to requesting an early check-in) to Lyft to whatever hotel we're staying at and checking our bags with the front desk before heading out. That said, I'm going to add up the approximate cost for all the Lyfts and check that against rental car and parking rates. I need to do that tonight.

Re: Virtual Queue for GOTG, I've heard that people have had a little more success with the 1 p.m. option once actually in the park. Who knows if that's true or not.
I have heard that about the 1 PM GotG drop as well.

I mean, if your heart is set on going to Epcot, then just do it. YOLO!

Take this with a grain of salt because this summer after a beach trip my family drove 7 hours out of the way to go to EPCOT for about 5 hours and then MK the next day for about 6 hours before driving 11 hours back home, but we think anything is doable if there's a will to do it. We got home at like 2 in the morning and I had work hours later. It was fine for us and part of the memory was how nutty the experience was.

We scheduled an upcoming cruise *from Miami* the morning after an already scheduled Christmas party at MK that we'll probably be put til 12 or whenever it shuts down.

It sounds like your flight is early so presumably you'll be home a good time Sunday to just relax the rest of the day. I would suggest doing EPCOT and having fun with it. You've got attractions you've never done, food and wine festival to make up your dinner, and Harmonious to see before it disappears forever. The weather should be fantastic.

You only get so many chances to make crazy memories with your family so I say go for it!

Post cruise our crew has enjoyed doing a water park / mini golf - either at the parks or International Drive area. Low key works best as the cruise is pretty intense for your first time. Dinner at the resort or Disney Springs.

Have a great cruise - PS. it's like potato chips - one is not enough. We board on the 29th - cruise #20 - which started with a 4 day cruise on the Disney Wonder.

Ok. Ok. Thanks to @MonaMN and @Doberge, I went with the option that I really wanted to do. WE'RE GOING TO EPCOT and we'll keep it from the kids until we surprise them day of. It may not be the smartest decision, but hey, my parents would probably say that blowing in excess of $10k on a Disney vacation wasn't smart either.

We are still learning that we have to do life and vacation our way...

Have a great cruise - PS. it's like potato chips - one is not enough.
And thanks, @smeecanada. We're excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter