SAP+ ?

It sounds like you booked your Jan VGF trip with 11 month home priority. In order to switch to your SSR points, the VGF room would have to be available at 7 months out. You can’t circumvent the 11 month booking window by using home resort points at 11 months and then switching to non-home resort points at 7 months.
Thanks for the quick response! It's a good thing I asked!

Bumping this back up with a question as I'm considering SSR for SAP. I'm wondering if this situation would work:

Next January I have 4 nights booked at VGF. Assuming I get enough points at SSR, I'd be able to modify my VGF reservation at 7 months to have the points taken from my SSR contract instead of my VGF contract, right? That way it would free up my VGF points to then book another trip during that UY (December).

Or to put it in simpler terms, at 7 months out I should be able to keep my same reservation and use points from a "cheaper" contract, right? Or do I have this all wrong? (This would obviously be excluding any restricted resorts i.e. Riviera etc.)
As above, what the system does is it will show a lock icon and prevent you from using other points to replace those points if the reservation is made during the home resort period. The example below is for a week in a hotel room in Aulani that I have coming up that was made 11 months out.

IMG_7825.jpeg

This is why I advise people if you’re within 7 months and the dates you booked at your home resort are still available at the 7 month window, go ahead and cancel the reservation entirely and then re-book it. The system will now recognize the reservation as being made less than 7 months out and you can freely move the points around as you desire.

Last edited:
As above, what the system does is it will show a lock icon and prevent you from using other points to replace those points if the reservation is made during the home resort period. The example below is for a week in a hotel room in Aulani that I have coming up that was made 11 months out.

View attachment 855550

This is why I advise people if you’re within 7 months and the dates you booked at your home resort are still available at the 7 month window, go ahead and cancel the reservation entirely and then re-book it. The system will now recognize the reservation as being made less than 7 months out and you can freely move the points around as you desire.
Adding on… for @MarmenTrout
Yes, it can be done, but technically your home resort points aren’t saving a reservation for you.
If you’re going to use points at 7 months it doesn’t matter what points they are.

View attachment 855550

Pro Tip!

Nope, sorry. You can't change an 11 month reservation you made using home resort priority to use points from a different contract at 7 months. Otherwise everyone would buy a small contract at a home resort and a ton of cheap points. You have to check if the same reservation or somewhere else you want to stay is available at 7 months, then use your SSR points for those, and cancel your VGF point reservations

Adding on… for @MarmenTrout
Yes, it can be done, but technically your home resort points aren’t saving a reservation for you.
If you’re going to use points at 7 months it doesn’t matter what points they are.

View attachment 855550

I'll definitely be using this strategy down the road. Thanks!

FWIW, I just did something like this for a stay in September. However my dates were not available before I cancelled.

I had a 2 night stay at VGF used 11 month window to initially book ... I cancelled the reservation, dates showed up, and quickly rebooked with my SSR contract.

Cancel and rebook is obviously risky if availability is not there before you cancel (waitlist, stalkers etc...), but it worked for me. I probably wouldn't try it with a reservation I really wanted... I had a back-up already booked somewhere else before I tried the cancel/rebook....

( ... main contributing factor was oct vs sept use year for sept stay ... I was wondering if transfer pts could be used... see thread below)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...ewly-transfered-points.3943176/#post-65441919

Good Luck!

View attachment 855550

What happens if someone is waitlisted for the dates of your reservation? Won’t they auto get it, and you lose your reservation?

What happens if someone is waitlisted for the dates of your reservation? Won’t they auto get it, and you lose your reservation?
Yes, exactly. That is the risk & why you shouldn't do it unless you are ok with losing that reservation.

FWIW, I just did something like this for a stay in September. However my dates were not available before I cancelled.

I had a 2 night stay at VGF used 11 month window to initially book ... I cancelled the reservation, dates showed up, and quickly rebooked with my SSR contract.

Cancel and rebook is obviously risky if availability is not there before you cancel (waitlist, stalkers etc...), but it worked for me. I probably wouldn't try it with a reservation I really wanted... I had a back-up already booked somewhere else before I tried the cancel/rebook....

( ... main contributing factor was oct vs sept use year for sept stay ... I was wondering if transfer pts could be used... see thread below)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...ewly-transfered-points.3943176/#post-65441919

Good Luck!

That's why I said IF it's still available at 7 months. And by available at 7 months I don't mean 7 months out at 8AM. I mean like it's been a day or so and ALL of your days are still there. Presumably, anybody who actually wanted your reservation by then should have already booked it.

Cancelling after the fact just and re-booking gives you more flexibility, say for example you book a VGF studio and it's magically still there at 7 months. All of your dates are available. Cancel it and re-book with the same points. Find out down the road your Aulani trip is cancelled and you're not going in the near future :(. Since you cancelled when it was still fully available at 7 months, you can now swap it with your Aulani points and spare some VGF points that you may use next year. Compare this to if you try doing this 3 months out, you and I both know that studio is getting snatched up and now you're stuck with Aulani points that you can't use on a WDW trip until 7 months.

Last edited:
That's why I said IF it's still available at 7 months. And by available at 7 months I don't mean 7 months out at 8AM. I mean like it's been a day or so and ALL of your days are still there. Presumably, anybody who actually wanted your reservation by then should have already booked it.

Cancelling after the fact just and re-booking gives you more flexibility, say for example you book a VGF studio and it's magically still there at 7 months. All of your dates are available. Cancel it and re-book with the same points. Find out down the road your Aulani trip is cancelled and you're not going in the near future :(. Since you cancelled when it was still fully available at 7 months, you can now swap it with your Aulani points and spare some VGF points that you may use next year. Compare this to if you try doing this 3 months out, you and I both know that studio is getting snatched up and now you're stuck with Aulani points that you can't use on a WDW trip until 7 months.
Yea - to me that’s basically the same thing as a rebook and cancel. Slightly more risky, but not really.

Do you use a live agent to do this to avoid any issues or do you just do it yourself online?

Yea - to me that’s basically the same thing as a rebook and cancel. Slightly more risky, but not really.

Do you use a live agent to do this to avoid any issues or do you just do it yourself online?
Lol not really the same thing if you know the availability is still there. It's a lot less risky because if people had waitlisted or were trying to get it they likely would've booked it already. And no, I do it myself. Doing it with a live agent would not change anything. It's the same thing as a cancel and rebook.. because it is. LOL.

If you're that scared that 2 members at minimum are going to book the exact resort, room type and dates that you want within the next 30 seconds you can always book the dates you're seeing assuming you have extra points, then cancel the first reservation, then go into the second and modify the second to pick up the points you originally booked with or swap points as needed.

Last edited:
you can always book the dates you're seeing assuming you have extra points, then cancel the first reservation, then go into the second and modify the second to pick up the points you originally booked with or swap points as needed.
Wait what.? lol
Actually i think i understand, only possible because it is available.

Lol not really the same thing if you know the availability is still there. It's a lot less risky because if people had waitlisted or were trying to get it they likely would've booked it already. And no, I do it myself. Doing it with a live agent would not change anything. It's the same thing as a cancel and rebook.. because it is. LOL.

If you're that scared that 2 members at minimum are going to book the exact resort, room type and dates that you want within the next 30 seconds you can always book the dates you're seeing assuming you have extra points, then cancel the first reservation, then go into the second and modify the second to pick up the points you originally booked with or swap points as needed.
The luxurious things you can do when you have extra points…. I love it!

The luxurious things you can do when you have extra points…. I love it!
For awhile I was double booking my split stays with a fake Saratoga reservation just so I could have one long continuous stay and avoid having to wake up twice at 7AM or call into WDW dining to make my advanced dining reservations and then cancelling the SSR reservation after my dining reservations were made LOL.

For awhile I was double booking my split stays with a fake Saratoga reservation just so I could have one long continuous stay and avoid having to wake up twice at 7AM or call into WDW dining to make my advanced dining reservations and then cancelling the SSR reservation after my dining reservations were made LOL.
I’d watch a YouTube video about that….

Do it, Some of my favorite DVC YouTube content is about "how it works" but most of the ones I liked so much stopped because I'm sure they figure they covered it already, but things change & could use some updates.
"Magic In The Music" Jenn has a great DVC 101 Playlist, as well as "Jen LaForge" I learned so much from them when it was all just too much to comprehend.

VGC - 75
AKV - 25
BWV - 55 25
(Sold the 50 BRV)

Technically i may end up selling 25 BWV when i actually add an SAP+ (CCV/BLT), i really only need about 125 total for WDW (not counting VGC/DLR)
Seller backed out of the 30pt BWV (so only 25pt now), so i'm somewhat relieved. lol
Back on the hunt for CCV/BLT.!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter