• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

18 Wonderful nights at RPR.....Michael Myers too!! (2014 Trip)

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
I can`t quite believe another trip has past and I am reliving it again through another trip report.

For those that don`t know we are Carole, Tom and Kyle.........I am sure along the way you`ll get an idea of the type of people we are......one thing we don`t do is Plan.........we refuse to plan anything as one of the wonders of a Universal trip is the ability to have a plan free trip. We generally wake in the morning and decide what to do that day.........we always have an idea of places we want to go and where we want to eat.........but it`s what we feel like on the day or at the time we`re hungry. That may not suit everyone....but the thought of planning restaurants and heaven forbid....rides, months ahead fill me with dread! That`s not how we vacation.

What we had this year was a very busy but, at the same time a relaxing trip......we didn`t travel around as much as we usually do but generally this is because we were having so much fun around the hotel and the Universal Parks. Again, this won`t suit everyone as we like to re-ride the rides as often as we can. We also didn`t take our usual amount of pictures, so at times there are no food pics because we didn't take the camera everywhere. It won`t be the most exciting trip report you`ll ever read and will seem repetitive some days, but we had the most wonderful time ::yes::

DAY BEFORE WE FLY......Monday Sept 8th

It doesn`t take much to organise us really. But it`s so much fun on travel to the airport day....excitement levels are through the roof and we are all so happy ready for the journey ahead. We were all up quite early, no surprise there.....had breakfast outside in the garden as it was a beautiful day, then I left for an appointment giving a couple of last minute things to check.

I only packed this morning, no real need to do it any earlier for us.......so after I got home from a leg waxing appointment, the cases were all down from the attic and they had even started to do their own without me! I was surprised. It takes me not very long as I know exactly what is going and where it should be. I got into the habit of spreading our clothes out between the 3 cases in case anything should happen to any of them, and we have a couple of outfits in our hand luggage. I`m a worrier.

Next we check all our paperwork. Passports and money in whatever form are the most important things.....anything else we can pick up or get sorted. But everything that involves flights are all connected to our passports, plus we can`t go anywhere without them!! Once all our paperwork is in order it goes into a folder and the most responsible person gets to look after it :scratchin

Car then gets loaded.......we have had this car 2 years now and every time we pack our stuff it never goes in the same way? But we manage it and are more or less ready to go. I do give my neighbour my friends telephone number who is looking after our house, just in case anything happens. Also give her her daughters birthday card as that`s another one while we are away. She wishes us a happy trip and we set off after rechecking the house is all locked up ....again. This year though I have to have a little detour to my friend Sue`s house. It`s her birthday when we are away so I have to make sure she gets her gifts and card and also her 2 children`s (19 and 21??) cards too......September is my busiest month for birthdays! She is surprised to see me and comments how organised I am......I wish!! So I give her a hug and we set off on the way to Manchester Airport for our overnight stay at the Radisson.

It takes about 3+ hours to get there, but after an hour we stop off at the same diner we stop off at every year. It`s a lovely little place where everything is freshly made and always nice. Kyle and Tom have a toasted sandwich and I have a ham and peach salad. Its really nice and not too much for a lunch. We stop for 45 minutes then off again. Traffic is good and not too many roadworks. Weather is really nice too which is unusual, it`s usually raining whenever we make this journey. But we arrive just after 2pm and park the car. It will be taken off site for the duration of our trip and will be waiting for us when we get back.

We get a trolley and walk around to the front of the hotel to check in. We love this hotel, its so handy for the terminals because of the connected walkway and only takes minutes to walk to. We had booked our usual family room with a runway view and always ask for a high floor. You don`t see much but you do see the hustle and bustle of a very busy airport and a good few planes taking off. We check in and they tell us they don`t have any family rooms with connecting door so have upgraded us to 2 separate rooms with a connecting door.........I`m confused because isn't that the same thing??? Turns out instead of the second room having two singles, Kyle gets a proper bed. So its all good. We are on the 8th floor with our requested runway view. And as it`s one of their refurbed rooms.......it`s purple.

i-GVnhZ8L-X2.jpg

i-S9kz45m-X2.jpg

i-qg9vMJ7-X2.jpg

i-L8P8SSV-X2.jpg

So we had a good look around our two rooms, everything was immaculately clean and they had changed their complementary products in the bath and shower are, but they were still nice.

i-pDfHKT6-X2.jpg

Before we took our luggage down to bag drop we decided to go down to the bar for a drink........it was empty, so we took a booth and went and ordered a drink. Tom and mine came fairly quickly she said it wouldn't be long for Kyle`s. 25 minutes later after serving everyone else who came in she brought it over. It was ridiculous. She had put it in a martini glass and it was only half full. I was going to complain but Tom said it wasn`t worth it so we left after he had his very small drink. We didn't notice till later she had charged more for the non alcoholic version of the drink than the alcoholic one!!

So we went back up to our room and collected our hold luggage and took them down to the terminal to do twilight check in. Now, this is the first year we haven't flown Virgin Atlantic and I was a bit nervous of who we were flying with. But as it turned out they were brilliant. And they offer twilight check in, so we only had to take hand luggage in the morning and not have to be there so early. We were flying from T1 for the first time so we walked down to it and I immediately thought it wasn't as nice. But we got to the check in desk and stood in the very small queue.......handed over our passports and she asked where we were flying to..... was it Turkey?? Eh no. Orlando.......oh you need to be over there!!! Really!! No signs or anything to say which was twilight. Anyway, we wandered over to the next girl and paid our money to use the service......this airline charges extra for everything unlike Virgin, but it was still ok. Meant we didn't have to be up as early in the morning too. Then we wandered back and bought some snacks for later in case dinner wasn't good.

Eventually we wandered down to the restaurant in the Radisson. Last year we hadn't enjoyed it very much. But its convenient and a friend had told us he had enjoyed it few week before, so we gave it a try. Glad we did as it was lovely.

i-bzQ5wKg-X2.jpg

i-58ghxLv-X2.jpg

I had the meat pizza, Tom had a burger and Kyle had chicken and fries then a chocolate dessert to start him getting ready for all the choc desserts he planned to eat in the States.........food was all lovely and we had a lovely bottle of wine to go with it. It`s a nice place and will definitely eat there again next time. We were all full now......the pizza was quite large and I couldn't finish it.

So we headed upstairs and made some tea in the room. I love looking out from the room when its dark and the airport lights are all twinkling and the rooms always look so cosy.

We all got our clothes ready for the next morning and watched some tv.......watched some flights take off and just chat. This is almost one of the best bits of the trip....everything is in front of us........18 nights in our favourite hotel and we hope we can sleep as we are so hyped for this trip ::yes::

Last edited:
Subbing! Great start. Love to relax the night before the big part of vacation.

:cool1::cool1::cool1:
I just read your previous TR and I've been waiting to see if you were going to do another one! What a dream trip you had before, it seemed so relaxed! Can't wait to hear more!

the color purple belongs to carole................

i have been looking for her new trip pie and thrilled i found it.

Subbing! Great start. Love to relax the night before the big part of vacation.

Yea for the purple refurbished room!

Subscribing! Can't wait to hear about your trip. :)

:cool1::cool1::cool1:
I just read your previous TR and I've been waiting to see if you were going to do another one! What a dream trip you had before, it seemed so relaxed! Can't wait to hear more!

the color purple belongs to carole................

i have been looking for her new trip pie and thrilled i found it.

Thanks..........yes I do love purple :goodvibes

Travel day coming up :)

TRAVEL DAY....MONDAY 9TH

As usual with the Radisson the beds are so comfortable, and the pillows are amazing so we slept really well........until 3am......DH woke up thinking he had left his medication at home (I had packed it).......so he is trying to very quietly mooch around the bags to see if they are in hand luggage......he could have just asked me......but he didn`t want to wake me!! He got back into bed and fell back asleep......now I was awake. I went to the bathroom then came back into the room and sat on the chair by the window and watched the surprisingly busy airport. Lights still twinkling and little vehicles moving from one side of the airport to the other, and people arriving for work and planes being prepared.....it was 3am!! Eventually I got back into bed and must have fell asleep as the next thing I knew our alarm call was going off, then my alarm clock then the tv alarm, then Kyle came through from his room after his alarm went off.......we want to make sure we don`t sleep in....lol......Now I was wide awake immediately and jumped in the shower while Kyle went back to his room.....Tom went back to sleep!! However, soon I was out and turning the hairdryer on.....he was awake.

Didn`t take long for us all to get ready and take our hand luggage down to check out. It was still early but check out is always busy. We hand our car keys over and set off to the terminal. It`s still dark so the terminal walkway looks really pretty

i-jHKBcVb-X2.jpg

This year we were flying from Terminal 1, which was new to us. And with the updated security alert we had been warned the queue through security can sometimes be huge. So even though we could have stayed in bed longer we decided to be there in plenty of time. With us having dropped our bags off the night before we didn`t have to check in again so straight through security. There were 5 people in front of us.......lol......this is always a minefield.....sometimes we take our shoes off, sometimes we don`t, sometimes we need all ipads out of cases, sometimes we don`t, but this year it was shoes off keep electrical items in bags. We got through no problems, except Kyle who was taken to the side to be searched....always one of us. So we were through airside in about 5 minutes.

I hadn`t flown from T1 in a long time and to go to Florida we always fly from T2, but once airside it was ok. It was busy. We headed up to go for breakfast as we are now quite hungry. There are plenty of places including a burrito place....eh no thanks. We end up in Giraffe, where Kyle and I just have toast and Tom has a cooked breakfast. It was ok and filled us up. We then went back downstairs to wait. Had the usual wander around duty free and bought the usual stuff for the plane. Then our gate was called, so we headed through.

As we sat down and waited to be called to board both big Virgin Jumbo Jets had landed from Orlando and were parked up almost opposite us.......at this time I was thinking I wish we were flying on them.......they are beautiful planes see and I thought to myself I was being silly. And I was. Soon we were boarding and as we walked through they pulled Kyle to the side for an extra security check....lol.......last year it was me so we knew what was happening and just carried onto the plane and waited for him. He was only a few minutes and he came through. This was the first time we had used this carrier and as I said I was very nervous it was going to be rubbish......I couldn`t have been more wrong, Tom asked me immediately if I had booked extra leg room seats going out.....I said no, only on the way back....we had loads of room, much more than with Virgin. We always get extra leg room seats with them but these were better so we were happy. Buckled ourselves in and sat and waited for take off.

Take off was 10.30am and as we started to taxi our tv screens on the seats in front showed the view from a camera under the nose......I thought that was really cool and said to Tom, Virgin don`t do that....lol......then we were taking off which was so smooth and soon we had left the UK and were over water. 9hrs 30 minutes to go. It passed quite quickly, we had all put movies on ipads as this airline doesn`t have a great IFE system so between eating, movies and walking around the plane it passed fairly quickly. Had a bit of turbulence on the way but not much. None of us could sleep....we never can on the road out.....too excited. Once we reach the last hour though we are ready to land. We are hoping for no afternoon thunderstorms to delay our landing and as we land and taxi to the terminal we see no big planes arriving before us......so immigration won`t be too bad. We hope.

Get off the plane fairly quickly and as we get to immigration it`s not too bad. We get pulled to use the machines and had to get help as it wouldn`t accept my fingerprints......however, it was the way I was doing it. So we headed to the officer to sign our forms and ask if we had any food.....told him chocolate for someone he smiled and asked where it was.......its in hold luggage....oh, shame he said he loved UK chocolate......it`s nice when they`re a bit human. Our luggage was off quickly too so we set off for the monorail. Two minutes later we were in the main terminal and heading down to the car hire desk...our least favorite thing to do as they always try and sell you what you really don`t need.

Anyway this time it was ok. He started to sell and we said we don`t need anything, we come every year so no don`t need the satnav or any extra insurance.....I think he knew he had no chance to get something out of us, so in the end it was fairly painless. As we walked over the garages we got our first breath of hot, humid American air......bliss.

We were sweating within minutes.....wow....it was so hot........I think we are quite used to the heat now, but this was new! Got to the garage and the car we ordered wasn`t available so we ended up with a Ford Explorer....it was ok, not anything special.....usually we book with Alamo, and tip the guy to get a Suburban.....not this year. We booked with Dollar this time and they give you the car you`re getting. No choice was available. So we set off after pointing out the scratches that were on it already and made her take note of it.

After that we`re on the road. I say it every year....it is so familiar to us now, I`m sure anyone who goes regularly will feel the same. The sun is blisteringly hot and we love every second of our drive to RPR. We have change for the tolls ready and soon we are turning off at Universal Boulevard and before long RPR is in front of us. We are all quiet as we take in the familiarity of our view......Dr Doom....Rocket and the castle.......life is good.

Pull into RPR and now we are walking through the doors and into the beautiful lobby of our favorite hotel. We are so happy as we walk over to the check in desk to start our adventure for another year. Check in is a breeze, we speak to a friend for a bit and catch up then we are heading to our room which was the same room we had last year. Perfect. We much prefer the 6th floor so we are very happy. We don`t feel tired yet....that will kick in later. It`s only around 5pm so we have plenty of time. I unpack a few toiletries then decide to leave it till later or tomorrow. Much more fun things to do ::yes::

We head up the Club Lounge..........time for a glass of wine :rotfl: As we walk in I immediately recognise some of the staff from last year......one girl, who is so quietly spoken let`s out a massive Hi when she sees us.....lol....it was so unexpected but we were thrilled to see her. She was pregnant when we left last year so it was lovely catching up with her and her baby and everyone else who was still around. Lounge wasn`t too busy so we sat on the comfy sofa`s and had a drink....didn`t eat as we were going to Jake`s for dinner.....first night tradition. It was so lovely just being back so we sat and just relaxed for an hour or so and caught up with the lovely staff members and met some lovely new ones.

Didn`t have any more wine as we thought with being tired it might just knock us out so we headed down to Jake`s for dinner as we were getting quite hungry by now. Jake`s was very quiet so we were seated quickly and ordered our meals.

I ordered calamari and salad which was huge, Tom ordered crab cake sandwich and Kyle ordered cheese pizza and a chocolate dessert that`s not on the menu anymore but she asked the chef to make it for him which he did and Kyle was over the moon.

i-3jxcsx3-X2.jpg

i-C62Jcrx-X2.jpg

i-Nhx4TVF-X2.jpg

i-6w2xX4w-X2.jpg

It was all nice but I do think we are all too tired to really enjoy our first meal properly......but it was nice. Kyle loved his flourless chocolate cake, it is so dense but very moist.......I hate chocolate cake so don`t even get to steal a bit.

After dinner we wander around to try and stay awake a bit longer......the pool is so beautiful

i-QZ3c4JL-X2.jpg

We have really nice walk around the resort taking in everything and just smiling as we feel so at home here. It`s only around 7.45 so we head up to the Club Lounge for a coffee and they were just putting out the sweet treats, which one of them was mini creme brulee bites.....one of my favorite desserts so I had a couple and Tom had something but Kyle was full of that heavy dessert so he had some water. We just sat for a while and it was so nice because it was so quiet

i-Zh3vgHr-X2.jpg

i-zTBzM8H-X2.jpg

Eventually we headed downstairs to our room and finished unpacking and all take a shower as it`s been such a long day and my brain won`t quite work out how long we`ve been awake :scratchin Math has never been my strong point.

It`s only around 9.30pm but we are all in bed and sound asleep before we know it. If there were any sounds during the night we never heard a thing.

Last edited:
I love that feeling when you've finally arrived! My family always have permanent grins when we drive down the familiar roads and check in!

Love your trip reports!!!

I re-read your last one before our recent trip to get ready!!!!:goodvibes

I thoroughly enjoyed your last trip report. I'm looking forward to following along with this one. Thanks for sharing.

schumi, you have the best trip reports!
i'm thrilled you decided to do another one this year.

I'm here for the ride. Every time we pull into RPR we say it's good to be home.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing another trip report this year! I will be there on Nov. 1st, and your fabulous experiences will help the time pass quickly.

Hope your most recent visit was just as fantastic as you hoped it would be.

I had only just joined these boards when you were finishing your last trip report...can't wait to read along with this one! Love RPR so much.

I love that feeling when you've finally arrived! My family always have permanent grins when we drive down the familiar roads and check in!

It's the best feeling in the world when you arrive isn't it :thumbsup2

Love your trip reports!!!

I re-read your last one before our recent trip to get ready!!!!:goodvibes

Aww thank you......glad you enjoyed it........and this one too hopefully :)

I thoroughly enjoyed your last trip report. I'm looking forward to following along with this one. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.......nice to have you along for the ride ::yes::

schumi, you have the best trip reports!
i'm thrilled you decided to do another one this year.

I was looking out for you.......:goodvibes thank oooooooo

I'm here for the ride. Every time we pull into RPR we say it's good to be home.

Nice to see ya Mr Bluer.......hope you enjoy it ::yes::

Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing another trip report this year! I will be there on Nov. 1st, and your fabulous experiences will help the time pass quickly.

Hope your most recent visit was just as fantastic as you hoped it would be.

Aww you're welcome........glad you enjoyed reading the other one, this trip was just amazing too........as I said probably not the most exciting trip report you'll ever read......but we loved it ::yes::

I'm in!!

Awesome start, can't wait for more :thumbsup2 .

Hey Gina..........nice to see ya too......hope you like it :thumbsup2

I had only just joined these boards when you were finishing your last trip report...can't wait to read along with this one! Love RPR so much.

Really hope you enjoy this one too........yep there's no place quite like RP for us........:goodvibes

I'm here...late as usual but better late than never. The dis and my smart phone don't get along lately.

I love the beginning of a trip...so much promise of wonderful things to come.

I can't wait to read all about your latest adventure... just like mac said you do the best trip reports.

Looking forward to reading another terrific trip report!Jake's is our first night tradition also!
:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter