2 Day Plan - Need Advice!

NYG

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone!

First time poster, long time admirer of these forums! So I’m heading to Universal and staying at Cabana Bay for a long weekend with my buddy and we will be doing two days at the parks (Saturday, 5/5 and Tuesday, 5/8). I’ve been so many times I can’t keep it straight anymore, but it will be my friend’s first time going. He’s not a huge movie buff, and I don’t think he will have seen (or love) most of the movies at the parks, so I’m trying to impress him with the rides and not immediately go on the “best” attractions out the gate.

Soooo....that being said, here is the itinerary I created for each day. Can you let me know if you think this is feasible?

Saturday (5/5)

Start at US around 10:00 (we are landing super late the night before)

Despicable Me
Rip Ride Rockit
Shrek

Travel to IOA (walk there so we don’t spoil Potter)

Mythos for lunch at 1:00

Poseidon’s Fury
Bilge Rat Barges
Dudley Do Right
Jurassic Park
King Kong
Spider-Man
Hulk

Finish at 7:30

Now let me preface Day 2 in saying that I’m very torn on what is the best ride to do first for a non-Potter fan, Gringotts or FJ. I think FJ is more intense, but Gringotts is more fun, so if anyone has an opinion, I would love to hear it!

Day 2

Start at Universal around 9:00

Fast and Furious (if open)
Fallon
Horror Make Up Show
ET
Simpson’s

Eat in Springfield for lunch - 1:30

Men in Black
Hogwarts Express - London
Forbidden Journey
Hogwarts Express - Hogsmeade
Escape from Gringotts
Mummy
Transformers

Re-ride anything we have time for

Anyone have thoughts? I’m open to suggestions, but I tried ramping up the fun for a newbie (as much as I could without retracing steps) and didn’t think too much about lines since the crowd levels aren’t supposed to be awful. I know my OCD is getting this best of me and I’m trying to make this trip perfect if I can! Let me know what you think and I appreciate the advice in advance!

Few quick comments:

This part of day 1:

Poseidon’s Fury
Bilge Rat Barges
Dudley Do Right
Jurassic Park
King Kong
Spider-Man
Hulk

While I understand you might be wanting to "build him up" from one attraction to the next, IMO it doesn't make sense to me sequentially based on where they are in IOA. You will be doing a bunch of back tracking back and forth.
Also to note, Jurassic Park River adventure will unfortunately be in refurbishment during your dates. If you still want to do a sliding scale upward I would thus recommend this order (based on location)

Poseidon’s Fury
King Kong
Bilge Rat Barges
Dudley Do Right
Doctor Doom
Spider-Man
Hulk

- I removed Jurassic Park but added Doctor Doom in its place

Then for Day 2 here are a few comments:

- Fast and Furious won't be open. That's coming sometime in the spring

- Also with Fallon, you need to "book" a return time for that, so it may not work that early in the morning for your schedule

So IMO you probably want to re-think Day two, put some of your afternoon stuff into the morning (like Transformers maybe since it's nearer the front of the park, and relatively not that far from Fallon).

Thanks for the advice! I think you might be mixed up...I’m heading down in May, not this month so I thought Jurassic and Fast would be open. I also heard they permanently instituted Fallon stand-by this past week, but I could be mistaken.

Otherwise, I really appreciate the insight!

Doh! For some reason I thought you were going in Feb. My bad.
All good my man! On a side note...what do you think about Potter? Which is better to do first for a newbie who doesn’t like the franchise? Start or finish with Gringotts?

All good my man! On a side note...what do you think about Potter? Which is better to do first for a newbie who doesn’t like the franchise? Start or finish with Gringotts?
I have arguments about FJ vs. Gringotts with a friend of mine all the time.

I'm firmly in the "FJ is better" camp whereas my friend is the opposite.

I'll say that Gringotts is more immersive beginning to end, whereas FJ is the more intense/thrilling ride. FJ is my favourite ride in the world.

So if you asked me, I'd do Diagon explore + Gringotts, then take the train over to Hogsmead, Explore then do FJ.

Since you are staying onsite, I would take advantage of that second day of EE you can do

You get one hour of park time before it opens to the general public

Less crowds ...

Cover the rides that are open then and you can repeat them later in the day is you wish

Reactions: NYG
One other bit of advice:

Despicable Me - This ride ALWAYS has long lineups. Recommendation would be to move it to day 2 to do it immediately at park open on the second day (or at early entry if US is the park that has it for the days you are there).

You will get on faster if you do it at park open/Early Entry. Otherwise it'll be 45min to an hour wait without Express pass (which IMO is not worth it for that long a wait).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter