2 days at Epcot or MK?

Djsbride

Mouseketeer
We're going to Disney for the first time in November, the week after Thanksgiving. We'll be staying at Beach Club and our crowd consists of me, DH and our sons ages 5 and 7. As of now we have single park tickets for 4 days aiming to hit one park per day. I'm thinking of possibly adding an extra day to do use as a half day either on arrival day or our day off. Would you use a half day to see more of MK or Epcot? We're not into princesses and characters, that's why I'm leaning more towards Epcot, but I've never been, so I don't know if MK is really as amazing as people say.

Epcot is my favorite park by far, but even with that said if you are staying at Beach Club your natural choice is extra Epcot or HS days, since both are so close (Epcot is 3 minute walk, HS is 10-15). It's so wonderful to rope drop Epcot, go on rides, walk around World Showcase, walk back to BC and hang out at the pool for a few hours, then go back to WS for dinner/fireworks. I could do that every day!

While I love EPCOT, and always spend more than one day there, with 5 and 7 year old children, I would say MK for sure. There is just so much to see and do there, and I think MK is the best park for the younger crowd.

I agree with this. I absolutely love Epcot, but on a first time trip with 2 young kids I think you will definitely need more time at MK. That said, you can always be flexible with your plans. I would plan to do the last day at MK, make your FPs there, but after visiting each park be willing to change up the last day based on what the kids prefer.

I agree that MK would be the best choice for your kids. My family loves Epcot, but my kids are older now and don't mind walking around the World Showcase. At 5 & 7, they were not interested in seeing the countries, so Epcot was doable in one day. They loved the rides and magic of MK and could have spent the whole trip there. We still do at least 2 days to make sure we aren't rushed to do everything! Plus, it is nice to have 2 days worth of fastpasses at MK since there are so many rides to choose from.

Something else to think about - you may just want to spend a half day enjoying the pool at the resort. We also stay at the Beach Club and the pool facility is amazing! It is a destination in itself. :)

Considering the ages of your kiddos, I would say MK. My tech-brained son enjoyed Future World when he was 5, but neither kid was thrilled with World Showcase at ages 6 and 3, respectively. (Could also be that it was really hot that day). MK just has a lot more to do, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree that MK would be the best choice for your kids. My family loves Epcot, but my kids are older now and don't mind walking around the World Showcase. At 5 & 7, they were not interested in seeing the countries, so Epcot was doable in one day. They loved the rides and magic of MK and could have spent the whole trip there. We still do at least 2 days to make sure we aren't rushed to do everything! Plus, it is nice to have 2 days worth of fastpasses at MK since there are so many rides to choose from.

Something else to think about - you may just want to spend a half day enjoying the pool at the resort. We also stay at the Beach Club and the pool facility is amazing! It is a destination in itself. :)

My husband wants to take a full day to spend at the pool, but I think half day at the pool and half day at a park would be best, instead of lounge all day. Also, the day we do AK we're thinking of taking a huge midday break to allow the kids to enjoy the pool before we return that evening.

Epcot is my absolute favorite park - we often take week long vacations where we only go to Epcot. With that said, considering the ages of your kids I would suggest doing the extra day at MK. There aren't that many rides at Epcot compared to MK and some younger children find Epcot terribly boring.

Also, MK is not all castles and princesses. If your kids are more into adventure type things there are several non-ride things to do in Adventureland/Frontierland that would be fun to do on a second day. There is a Jack Sparrow show we like, Pirate Adventure and Tom Sawyer Island. All 3 of my kids (boy and girls) loved the secret passages and fort at TSI two years ago. DS5 was disappointed we didn't make it there this year.

With only 4-5 days on site, IMHO, spending an entire day a the pool is a waste of time. Half day at most. Afternoons are good for that.

I agree on two days at MK. You should be able to hit all the major rides at EP in one day. That is very tough to do at MK anymore.

I would probably do my full MK day when there is a party scheduled. It is typically less busy and you would get more done with your time. You can then enjoy the pool in the evening and it will feel more relaxing. This helps balance out not taking a full day off later. On the planned off day I would probably go on a non-party day so the kids could see fireworks. For a more relaxing day consider arriving at opening and leaving after about 4-5 hours. Come back at night and do a 4th FP ride and watch fireworks.

Based on your post I strongly recommend getting some external help to plan your rides. Touringplans is one example. You will get more done and wait in line less.

Another vote for MK. That is what my boys (6,13) would pick. Epcot is their least favorite park. We always enjoy Epcot but in MK there are so many rides they always want to ride more than once. I would pick an extra day in MK over any other park.

As almost everyone else has already said Magic Kingdom. It really takes 2 fulls days to really do Magic Kingdom. There is so much to do we are doing 3 full days in Magic Kingdom this trip.

As much as I loved EPCOT and love just being able to walk to it, with the ages of your kids, I would do MK.
There are so many rides for them there, and character meet and greets and the parade. You can easily fill 2 days.

At that age, MK. In another couple of years, I'd say Epcot. :) Although if you really want to see all of World Showcase you definitely need two days at Epcot, so I guess it just depends on what you want to see. We've barely seen any of it the last two trips we've done because the kids have just enjoyed Future World so much.

I'd also say MK. I'd probably even spend a second day at AK before Epcot, though I know it's all personal preference. I would sit down and look at all the attractions you plan to do at each park and see which one you think would benefit from a second day. And you could always leave it up to the kids once you are there and they've seen both parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter