• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 New Movies

Distriv

DIS Veteran
I have just learned that Disney will be making 2 now films, one based on 'The Haunted Mansion' and one based on 'The Pirates of the Caribbean'. Has Disney run out of ideas so they make attractions into movies? I have decided to stay as far away from 'The Country Bears' as possible (I think it looks horrible and it will bomb). There is a rumor that Eddie Murphy will star in the HM movie. The HM movie will produced by the same people that produced ' The Country Bears'. What will they think of next? A TTA movie anyone?

Probably won't see the Country Bears either, but if it is tied to an upgrade of the attraction (which really needs it) then so much the better.

Actually these have been in the works for some time now... I think the HM movie is planned for next year.

More interesting (or annoying, depending on your POV) is the rumor I read on Yahoo this morning - Both of these movies will also be made into video games :P

Sarangel

they already did a tower of terror movie they might as well get the ball rollin and do like a "its a small world" movie

Rumors: the script for ‘Haunted Mansion’ apparently has nothing to do with the storyline from the attraction. Think ‘A Christmas Carol’ with lots of Eddie-stuff to yuck things up. And the story for ‘The Country Bears’ movie is only related to ‘Country Bear Jamboree’ because both shows have singing bruins. The script for ‘Pirates’ is being re-re-re-re-re-re-written so that plenty of stuff blows up real good.

The trend in Hollywood right now is the “pre-sold” concept. Marketing costs a lot of money. It’s become cheaper and easier to sell a movie if the public already knows the concept behind it. And the economics of Hollywood requires that every film is as much of “sure thing” as possible. Something that’s already proven popular is a much safer investment. Hence you get all the sequels and remakes of televisions series as movies.

Disney is not willing to buy rights to TV shows, popular books or comic book characters and has been looking for its own source of “pre-sold concepts”. They first tried “big events” because of ‘Titanic’, but ‘Pearl Harbor’ fell flat and ‘The Alamo’ is falling apart before it gets before the camera.

So now Disney is trying its theme park shows. They know that large chunks of the public already know about ‘Pirates’, ‘Mansion’ and ‘Small World’ and that they are popular. Just the movie title ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ will get people into the theaters just like a movie title of ‘Spiderman’ or ‘Scooby Doo’.

But unlike ‘Spider-man’, the stories behind the rides aren’t full enough to make a feature film out of. Worse, most people in the film division don’t think too much of the parks anyway; they’re certain they are much more creative than just an amusement park they never go to. So, the rides are being used as little more than titles and the writers have been told to come up with “good” plots instead.

What’s really going to be interesting is how the public reacts. When people go to the theater expecting a colorful collection of bears – and instead get a bunch of burnt-out ratty ‘60s folksingers in the background of an intelligence-challenged “I’m adopted??!!!” plotline, things could get interesting.

The rest of the ride movies are on hold right now. They were supposed to be a series of small films with high profit margins. They’ve now turned into massively expensive movies that are going to require blockbuster results to make money. Since Disney is dramatically cutting back on its production budget, there’s little money left for ‘Space Mountain’ or ‘Big Thunder”.

It’s sad these people have learned nothing at all from ‘The Princess Diaries’ and ‘The Rookie’.

Was half listening to TV when I think I saw a leader of the up coming Country Bears movie. I sure hope it wasn't. It looked goofy (no pun intended).

There was a preview for it before Lilo and Stitch. it was not without merit, but it clearly had nothing to do with the show.

Another Voice. What do I have to do to make sure this this travesty is not Visited upon Pirates?

What do we have to do?

Pray there's a press release announcing Eisner wants to spend more time with family.

Oh, and don't go see 'Country Bears' - but I think one's been pretty much taken care of by the Marketing Department.

I saw the preview (finally) before Lilo and Stitch as well - what an uninteresting, motheaten production that looks to be. No one is minding the ship, I guess.

YoHo, this company needs a good seafaring feller - why don't you take over?;)

I agree, I should take over. Now how would we go about causing this to happen?

Are any of you good friends of the various Disneys a Millers?

i saw the preview to treasure planet and that looked realy interesting.

the thing i didnt like was that it felt like atlantis.

but anyways it looked interestin and cool at the same time.

just saw lilo and stitch for the second time. that is a gooood movie

it had the trailer for country bears and the only thing i like about it is that barry's brother is played by the same kid as Stiflers brother from the academy award shunned film American Pie. and thats about it

Just saw rein of fire. dont know if it will beat Road to perdition but want to say that this is going to be considered a bomb after the first weekend at least cause the word of mouth isnt gonna be amazin.

it was so so.

had the trailer to red dragon, shanghai knights, star trek nemesis, and a new thriller cant remember the name but anywasy the point is i dont think this is gonna be the big summer action flick they were expecting it to be

I'm sorry to hear this about Reign of Fire. We considered seeing it today but saw the Crocodile Hunter movie instead. It was a cute movie and a cut above what I expected.

I HOPE that the Star Trek film will be big but it isn't coming out until mid December.

just about every movie that has a substatial children/teenage audience has a video game associated with it, so i don't see why that's surprising...

I saw RoF last night and I liked it. I have been waiting for a good action movie that I did not have tons of plot twists (MR). I think it was a good action movie. I went to the 7:50 show and it was packed,maybe 2 or 3 empty seats, and this was the largest theater there. When I left there were a lot of people buying tickets for the next show. As for the previews Nemesis looks great and so do Red Dragon and Signs. Shanghai Knoghts looks funny too (I loved the first one). BRERALEX why do you think it wont beat Perdition? Perdition looks like to much of a drama for the main summer film demographic (Teens). Of course I think it looks incredable.

well yeah thats the true the teens are gonna go to ROF but road to perdition has so many good actors. and from different generations. Paul Newman, Tom hanks and Jude Law all great actors and from 3 different generations.

ROF had too many hole sin the plot but yeah i was ahppy it didnt have to many twists and just straight up action. that was good. I thought Mathew (cannever spell his last name) did an awesome job. He really did have a prescence on the screen. It just wasnt one of those movies where you leave the theartre and you go home and think about it like "wow" It was to me IMO ok. you know. It wasnt anything to get happy about and i think IMO that the word of mouth isnt gonna be great but that will unfold in the weeks to come.

shangia knights did look really funny Owen Wilson rocks lately.

I see what you are saying but I have been waiting for a movie where I can just leave the theater thinking "That was fun". I did not want to have to think about the plot this time. I did enough thinking after Minority Report and The Bourne Idendity, two really good movies. I agree with you, Owen Wilson does rock!

This movie was really a good time! The theater was full and everybody clapped at the end. Great action and a cool concept. I really hope it becomes a roller coaster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter