2 studios or 2 bedroom??

AndreAggie

DIS Veteran
Total of 6 people...my husband, me, our 8 year old son, hubby's parents, hubby's sister (adult), so 3 generations. A 2-bedroom is 208 points and 2 studios is 160 points....it seems like a no brainer to save 48 points and go with 2 studios, but the advantage of the 2-bedroom would be the living room and kitchen space plus laundry in the room. Plus all the bathroom space (The single adult aunt would basically have her own bathroom). I don't see us using the kitchen space all that much aside from simple breakfasts and maybe some sandwiches/snacks in the afternoons. The goal is the parks this time around and I really don't anyone to have to cook for 6 people!

Not sure which resort you are looking at but some studios are very small. On the other hand, 2 studios would give you and your family some additional privacy. I'd decide whether the extra privacy is worth the smaller amount of space.

Edited to add: I am in a similar situation. We are traveling with my parents. We are booking a 2BR lock-off at Kidani (3 bathrooms!). That allows my parents to have their own entrance to their room. They wouldn't disturb our kids (sleeping in the living room) coming and going.

Grand Californian. So it's all hypothetical anyway...we can book November 3 and I obsessively check daily and so far studio and 2-bedroom (lock-off) are still available for our dates. We don't even know if 2 studios are available. Will have to call the day we can reserve and work that out. The 2-bedroom is tempting, but it's 48(!!) more points. We're using our points for everyone to stay.

You won't get 2 studios. If availability is open on your booking date, bite the bullet for the 2BR. By the time you book one studio, if a second was ever available, it'll be gone.

We have stayed in a 2bdrm every year for the past 15 years until this year. We had a party of 6 and had 2 studios at the BWV's which gave us the chance to stay longer. With that I did miss the laundry in the room and the extra bathroom. It is nice to escape into another room to watch TV or to take a nap.

You won't get 2 studios. If availability is open on your booking date, bite the bullet for the 2BR. By the time you book one studio, if a second was ever available, it'll be gone.

Do you think this is true for all resorts? Do studios book at 11 months out at all DVC locations?

Grand Californian. So it's all hypothetical anyway...we can book November 3 and I obsessively check daily and so far studio and 2-bedroom (lock-off) are still available for our dates. We don't even know if 2 studios are available. Will have to call the day we can reserve and work that out. The 2-bedroom is tempting, but it's 48(!!) more points. We're using our points for everyone to stay.

You need to just book the 2BR as booking 2 studios at 7 months would be most unlikely to happen. You could try for the studios but then there'd be the risk of getting no rooms if you couldn't get the second and needed to change gears towards the 2BR. Or having to go to a 1BR.

And June is popular - that time is still when AP's are valid so local owners are still booking.

Do you think this is true for all resorts? Do studios book at 11 months out at all DVC locations?

VGC has 23 studios total for the entire DVC resort there.

The studios at VGF go really fast, so unless you get really lucky, I wouldn't plan on them. I've been stalking that place for a few years now and there is never a studio available when we want to go. :(

The other monorail resorts usually have studio availability at 7 months. You might want to look into getting 2 studios at the Poly. The rooms are a bit more spacious and the bathroom configurations would probably be quite beneficial to your group.

Have a great trip!

The advantage of the 2 bd will be having one more sleeping space, the living room. This way the parents get a room and the Aunt can have the semi privacy of the living room. Having a living room is the reason we like DVC and not just a plain old hotel room.

The studios at VGF go really fast, so unless you get really lucky, I wouldn't plan on them. I've been stalking that place for a few years now and there is never a studio available when we want to go. :(

The other monorail resorts usually have studio availability at 7 months. You might want to look into getting 2 studios at the Poly. The rooms are a bit more spacious and the bathroom configurations would probably be quite beneficial to your group.

Have a great trip!
OP is after VGC, not VGF.

To ME, 2BR much better than 2 studios. It is 3 rooms, not 2. Washer/Dryer. 3 bathrooms, not 2. Kitchen. Room for some people to rest or go to bed early, while others stay in the living room area. Much easier to prepare and eat some quick meals, especially breakfast. Well worth those extra 40 points!

But so unlikely to get 2 studios, even 1 is tough to impossible, so I would hope for that 2BR. Good luck, I love it there! Have stayed there many times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter