2 week stay - 1 week single parent. Please Help.

Jetapss

Disney Queen
Hi! I’m currently planning a 2 week trip to Disney World in summer 2020. It will be my husband & 3 kids (8, 5, 2.5) for the first week & just me & the kids the second week. We will be staying at Shades of Green to hopefully make it easier for me when my husband isn’t there (at least for MK & Epcot). Here is roughly what I’m thinking of doing. Can you please see if it’s reasonable and help me make changes for the better? This is our first experiment with staying longer than a week so that we can mostly take it easy, take breaks mid-day when it’s super hot, & going to water parks or pool during mid-day some days. We will have 10 day Park Hopper Plus tickets & we won’t be able to ride the rides with height limits the second week so it’ll be mostly shows, riding the small things, & playing Sorcerers (we’ve never had time to try that so this will be a big thing for my kids).

Will there be any issues with me & my 3 kids riding together on the non-height limit rides? I seem to recall the only ride with that issue being 7 Dwarfs but we can’t do that with my little. Are there any others?

Which water park is better with small kids (1 can swim, one can barely swim, & one thinks he can swim but can’t)? We plan to try both but we’ve never been to Blizzard Beach.

Day 1: Travel
Day 2: HS – All Day
Star Wars World
Fast Passes: Slinky Dog, Star Tours, Beauty & the Beast?
Day 3: MK
Sorcerers of MK
Fast Passes: 7 Dwarfs, Splash & Thunder Mtns
Water park or rest in hotel (play by ear)
Day 4: Epcot
Test Track
Fast Passes: Soarin’, Mission Space, Seas with Nemo
World Showcase or chill in afternoon/evening
Day 5: MK
Sorcerers of MK
Fast Passes: Space Mtn, Meet Mickey/Minnie, Tomorrowland Speedway
Break during mid-day
Fantasy Parade
Day 6: AK
Fast Passes: Avatar FoP, Everest, Dinosaur
Kali River Rapids
Water Park/pool/rest

CHALLENGE: 1 Adult, 3 kids:
Day 7: Beach Day
Storybook Dinner at Artist Point
Day 8: Epcot
Fastpasses: Frozen Ever After, Turtle Talk, Character Spot
Water Park/pool/rest mid-day
Fireworks/show at either Epcot or MK
Day 9: HS
Fastpasses: Toy Story Mania, Frozen sing-a-long, Disney Jr?
Visit other parks/MK for Sorcerers/rest
Day 10: Break day/water park
Breakfast at Ohana
Day 11: MK
Sorcerers of MK
Fastpasses: Peter Pan, Pirates, Jungle Cruise
Rest/pool/water parks
MK Fireworks?
Day 12: MK
Sorcerers of MK
Fastpasses: Buzz Lightyear, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Meet Rapunzel/Tiana
Rest/pool/water parks
Day 13: AK
Fastpasses: Na’vi River Journey, Kilimanjaro Safari, Bug’s Life
Visit other parks/MK for Sorcerers/rest/water park
Day 14: Head Home

Thanks in advance!

in my opinion you need more break days. 2 weeks is ALOT. Have your kids done a theme park like this before ? are they good with no naps? The second week could just be up in the air minus food. With some good fastpass managment you can get all the rides done in a week than truly jsut relax the week your alone and hit things when u want . Less of a plan so no need to stress as much with the little ones.

They've all been before. The youngest will nap in the stroller & in our experience, going to the hotel is useless mid-day as the kids get wired (they love hotels) & refuse to nap or let us rest. It usually ends in disaster. Wearing them out during the day ends up better for us as they fall asleep quicker at bedtime.

I definitely plan to be very flexible but I want to at least have fastpasses planned out to ensure we get to ride things we like. I typically will move fastpasses around each night if we rode more than originally planned (especially if lines are smaller). We've been able to ride everything in a week in the past but that is going all day long & I don't plan to do that so much this trip (especially with it being in the summer). We also want to do more shows/games/characters the 2nd week as we usually skip those to ride the rides.

I don't typically stress about a plan. I'm the kind of person that likes a general plan so we know where to start & for some things when to be where for FP+ (the rides with 2-3 hr standby lines) but we mostly go with the flow throughout the day & change fastpasses when we see fit.

With additional ticket days being fairly cheap at that point, I saw it better to have a 10 day pass & spread up our break days to break mornings/evenings. I also maximized the time my husband will be with us so he can see everything he wants too (big rides) & I will have more help then.

So, here's the big challenge. To ride without an adult a child has to be 7. So on peter pan, tsmm, buzz lightyear you will have to ride with your two younger children and your oldest will have to ride alone.

I wouldn’t do any water activities alone with the kids. I had 5 kids in under 6 1/2 years, and when I only had the first 3, we joined a pool club where we had a lot of friends with kids just for the extra eyes/hands. We live an hour from the beach, I never took them by myself.

We love Shades of Green!! What a wonderful vacation you have coming! These are some ambitious plans! I was surprised when you said this was your plan for taking it easy. We usually just get the military Park Hopper Plus tickets and spread out the Park days and plus visits (WP/golf).

We've taken DS4 to both waterparks and I'm not sure we really have a preference. We like them both. The TL wave pool is crazy! I was nervous with him at first, but it was fine. Though he can't do everything in either park, there was plenty in each to keep us happy. I do remember the kid area in TL having cold water, he complained about that and didn't want to play there for long. He did love the two slides that are attached to the wave pool. In Blizzard Beach he love the zip line and the racing slides where you lay on a mat. We (the grown ups) liked the longest lazy river we've ever been in! We met Stitch at TL and Goofy at BB and were so happy to get pics without waiting in long lines. We appreciate the Water parks since DS4 is not tall enough for the big slide at SoG.

You've planned some great FPs, just a little feedback from over here...

Day 2: HS Fast Passes: Slinky Dog, Star Tours, Beauty & the Beast?
Those would be our FP choices too.

Day 3: MK Sorcerers of MK
We look forward to trying out Sorcerers!! Have fun! Have you done the Pirate's Adventure? DS4 said that was his favorite in all of MK.

Agent P's World Showcase Adventure? We didn't realize how much our little guy would enjoy these type of activities, so we want to try them all next time.

Wilderness Explorers would be another to try. And you can continue on a different day.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

In July we did NOT need the Turtle Talk FP I had reserved. But you never know

Breakfast at Ohana
So convenient from Shades of Green!

Yes! That Enchanted Tales with Belle FP is crucial!

Look at that. Another day to continue earning Wilderness Explorer badges.
Definitely don't think a Bug's Life will need FP. Will you be going to any shows in AK? A better use for FP would be Nemo or Lion King.

Have so much fun!!

I don't think we'll have an issue with all of us on Peter Pan. They let as many as fits on & we are all small so we can fit in a row. I think it'd only be an issue for the ones with an absolute max # of people rather than due to size. But if need be, my oldest can sit by herself in a row ahead of me.

They will all be wearing life jackets & I will have my eyes on them at all times. They are well behaved & know to stay with me. I take them to the pool & have taken them to local water parks on my own in the past. I find it worse when you invite friends because you get into chatting with them & "forget" to watch the kids or you think the other adult is watching when they're not. This does not happen if you're the only adult & solely responsible. I was really hoping for some insight into our schedule & how to better plan the things we want to do or other Disney things that are musts.

We love Shades of Green!! What a wonderful vacation you have coming! These are some ambitious plans! I was surprised when you said this was your plan for taking it easy. We usually just get the military Park Hopper Plus tickets and spread out the Park days and plus visits (WP/golf).

We've taken DS4 to both waterparks and I'm not sure we really have a preference. We like them both. The TL wave pool is crazy! I was nervous with him at first, but it was fine. Though he can't do everything in either park, there was plenty in each to keep us happy. I do remember the kid area in TL having cold water, he complained about that and didn't want to play there for long. He did love the two slides that are attached to the wave pool. In Blizzard Beach he love the zip line and the racing slides where you lay on a mat. We (the grown ups) liked the longest lazy river we've ever been in! We met Stitch at TL and Goofy at BB and were so happy to get pics without waiting in long lines. We appreciate the Water parks since DS4 is not tall enough for the big slide at SoG.

You've planned some great FPs, just a little feedback from over here...

Day 2: HS Fast Passes: Slinky Dog, Star Tours, Beauty & the Beast?
Those would be our FP choices too.

Day 3: MK Sorcerers of MK
We look forward to trying out Sorcerers!! Have fun! Have you done the Pirate's Adventure? DS4 said that was his favorite in all of MK.

Agent P's World Showcase Adventure? We didn't realize how much our little guy would enjoy these type of activities, so we want to try them all next time.

Wilderness Explorers would be another to try. And you can continue on a different day.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

In July we did NOT need the Turtle Talk FP I had reserved. But you never know

Breakfast at Ohana
So convenient from Shades of Green!

Yes! That Enchanted Tales with Belle FP is crucial!

Look at that. Another day to continue earning Wilderness Explorer badges.
Definitely don't think a Bug's Life will need FP. Will you be going to any shows in AK? A better use for FP would be Nemo or Lion King.

Have so much fun!!
Thank you for your input! This is what I was looking for! I was thinking trying the Pirates one too as my 8yo loves "treasure." Thanks for the input on AK, we always struggle what to use our FPs for. We will try some of the shows this time around but usually everyone falls asleep. lol.

How did you get to the monorail? Did you walk to Polynesian? Wondering how long it really takes to walk there as I've seen anywhere from 5-15 min.

Thank you for your input! This is what I was looking for! I was thinking trying the Pirates one too as my 8yo loves "treasure." Thanks for the input on AK, we always struggle what to use our FPs for. We will try some of the shows this time around but usually everyone falls asleep. lol.

How did you get to the monorail? Did you walk to Polynesian? Wondering how long it really takes to walk there as I've seen anywhere from 5-15 min.
Yes! Please try Pirates! It only takes you around Adventureland. The were four quests when we went, though I had heard there were five. After completing two, your party gets FP for Pirates. We just kept going because he enjoyed it so much. Took about an hour to finish all four. They conveniently take you to the gift shop a few times...You can keep the treasure map from the quest and a little trading card you get for completing it.

A FP for an air conditioned nap in AK might be worth it!

Not a 5 minute walk, that's for sure! I tried to time it. I "heard" you could ask for a SoG golf cart ride to the edge of the property (and with the three kids on your own you should if you want!) It was about 20 minutes from our room to the monorail. And were at the complete opposite end of the property. At check-in, just ask for a room close to the lobby. Seriously two weeks is too long to be trudging down the never ending hallway. My DH gets a kick out of this because I normally don't understand "long walk" complaints. I enjoy walking. It was a peaceful walk. But once in the Shades doors I was bummed to walk so far to our room. Not a vacation ruiner or anything. It's a straight shot from the Shades lobby to the edge of the property, through a crosswalk, and then a little winding path on the Poly property to the Great Ceremonial house ('Ohana is in here too).

Transportation from Shades of Green is so nice! I like options! We used the monorail for E, monorail/boats for MK and Shades buses for AK and HS. We drove ourselves to DS and the waterparks. The earliest Shades bus (in November) was plenty early to rope drop HS and AK...but military folks are early folks so the first buses were full 10 minutes before departure time! We learned to get there a little early for the second day. Please note, they had bus #2 ready to go right after the first bus left so everyone who wanted to rope drop could - just a few minutes a part. We walked back from the GF one day after checking out the Gingerbread house and that took 30 minutes. I'm hoping the walkway from GF to MK is open for our next visit. A 45 minute walk from/to Shades of Green sounds like a peaceful start/end to the day. See? I like walking. Just not down that Magnolia hallway...

What is Day 7 Beach Day? With dinner at Artist Point, you can leisurely make your way over there in the afternoon to check out WL. Show the kids the erupting geyser, try the hidden mickey hunt (ask at concierge desk for info). You can boat Poly to MK to WL.

Okay end of me butting into your vacation plans. Have a wonderful trip

lol. I love walking in nature too. I'll try to get a room close to the lobby! I would prefer to walk to the monorail because I don't like emptying & tearing down the double stroller & lifting it. If I end up having to do that, I'll just drive to the parks (plus kids can sleep on the way back if needed). Sounds like the walk won't be much different than walking from the parking lot to MK though so I think it should be easy.

Yes! Please try Pirates! It only takes you around Adventureland. The were four quests when we went, though I had heard there were five. After completing two, your party gets FP for Pirates. We just kept going because he enjoyed it so much. Took about an hour to finish all four. They conveniently take you to the gift shop a few times...You can keep the treasure map from the quest and a little trading card you get for completing it.

A FP for an air conditioned nap in AK might be worth it!

Not a 5 minute walk, that's for sure! I tried to time it. I "heard" you could ask for a SoG golf cart ride to the edge of the property (and with the three kids on your own you should if you want!) It was about 20 minutes from our room to the monorail. And were at the complete opposite end of the property. At check-in, just ask for a room close to the lobby. Seriously two weeks is too long to be trudging down the never ending hallway. My DH gets a kick out of this because I normally don't understand "long walk" complaints. I enjoy walking. It was a peaceful walk. But once in the Shades doors I was bummed to walk so far to our room. Not a vacation ruiner or anything. It's a straight shot from the Shades lobby to the edge of the property, through a crosswalk, and then a little winding path on the Poly property to the Great Ceremonial house ('Ohana is in here too).

Transportation from Shades of Green is so nice! I like options! We used the monorail for E, monorail/boats for MK and Shades buses for AK and HS. We drove ourselves to DS and the waterparks. The earliest Shades bus (in November) was plenty early to rope drop HS and AK...but military folks are early folks so the first buses were full 10 minutes before departure time! We learned to get there a little early for the second day. Please note, they had bus #2 ready to go right after the first bus left so everyone who wanted to rope drop could - just a few minutes a part. We walked back from the GF one day after checking out the Gingerbread house and that took 30 minutes. I'm hoping the walkway from GF to MK is open for our next visit. A 45 minute walk from/to Shades of Green sounds like a peaceful start/end to the day. See? I like walking. Just not down that Magnolia hallway...
Also, were there a lot of people walking that path at all hours & at night?

What is Day 7 Beach Day? With dinner at Artist Point, you can leisurely make your way over there in the afternoon to check out WL. Show the kids the erupting geyser, try the hidden mickey hunt (ask at concierge desk for info). You can boat Poly to MK to WL.

Okay end of me butting into your vacation plans. Have a wonderful trip
We plan to drive to Treasure Island beach. We went a few years ago & my kids loved it. We will likely venture out during the days to see some more of the resorts that we haven't seen - WL being one of them. I'll check out the geyser too.

Thays a lot of park days and not a lot of rest days. I would add more rest days. I just did 2 weeks with my daughter who at the time just turned 8. We had 6 park tickets and a party along with halliween trick or treating. We left the parks at lunch some days as we got there at rope drop every time. She was tired and barely wanted to go to the park on the last day. We booked for 2020 but im doing less parks and more outside relaxing activites and pool time.

Personally I would not do water parks as a mid day break. Trying to find a chair, get on slides and swim is not relaxing. We enjoy going back to the resort and getting out of the crowds. plus it’s Florida in the summer with a chance of rain/storms which will close the rides and the water park in the rain when you are already wet is not fun.
If you were going to do a mid day break, I’d just go back to the resort and rest and swim and then shower and go to a park. Or take a monorail ride or ferry ride and see other resorts, if you don’t want to go back to the resort.

You will love SoG!! We stayed there a few years ago at Christmas and my DS LOVED the pool and slides. I don’t think with your kids ages that you will have any problems with your plan, especially since they are well behaved. One of my favorite trips was done without my DH. It was different. DH is done by 3pm and that trip gave us a chance to do more nighttime activities, and do the things DH doesn’t like (parades/fireworks/ roller coasters) granted, my kids were older than yours (5,13,17) but I had 2 extra with me (12,17) and teens bring a different challenge lol. You will have a great time both weeks and it will be a totally different experience. BTW- we found walking from SoG to the Polly took WAY too long especially on tires feet. I think you would be fine to walk there for breakfast at Ohana( our fav character breakfast btw) but not after a long day. Also be sure to get ice cream by the SoG lobby, it is delicious!!!

We did a 15 night trip with my niece who was 3.5 at the time and she did great. We had 14 day UK tickets so went to the parks almost every day. We alternated late nights with sleep in mornings, I think one full break day, and a few early mornings sprinkled in. I used waterpark days as sleep in mornings and then to the parks for fireworks. It was great and we loved being able to spend only half days in the parks when we wanted and not feel like we had to go morning to night to fit everything in.

My SIL couldn't get up early enough for RD so most of the time we wandered into the park at her preferred time of 10/11am. Having so many park days made it easy to ensure we still got to see and do almost everything we wanted even with later arrivals and moving at toddler speed.

You will love SoG!! We stayed there a few years ago at Christmas and my DS LOVED the pool and slides. I don’t think with your kids ages that you will have any problems with your plan, especially since they are well behaved. One of my favorite trips was done without my DH. It was different. DH is done by 3pm and that trip gave us a chance to do more nighttime activities, and do the things DH doesn’t like (parades/fireworks/ roller coasters) granted, my kids were older than yours (5,13,17) but I had 2 extra with me (12,17) and teens bring a different challenge lol. You will have a great time both weeks and it will be a totally different experience. BTW- we found walking from SoG to the Polly took WAY too long especially on tires feet. I think you would be fine to walk there for breakfast at Ohana( our fav character breakfast btw) but not after a long day. Also be sure to get ice cream by the SoG lobby, it is delicious!!!
Thanks for the input. That's part of the reason me/kids are staying another week. DH gets warn out first & isn't interested in shows/fireworks so we wanted to stay longer to enjoy some of the "extras."

What was your transportation method of choice? I was hoping not to tear down the strollers to get on/off buses (I'd rather drive than do that). What transportation methods would you suggest for each of the 4 parks?

We did a 15 night trip with my niece who was 3.5 at the time and she did great. We had 14 day UK tickets so went to the parks almost every day. We alternated late nights with sleep in mornings, I think one full break day, and a few early mornings sprinkled in. I used waterpark days as sleep in mornings and then to the parks for fireworks. It was great and we loved being able to spend only half days in the parks when we wanted and not feel like we had to go morning to night to fit everything in.

My SIL couldn't get up early enough for RD so most of the time we wandered into the park at her preferred time of 10/11am. Having so many park days made it easy to ensure we still got to see and do almost everything we wanted even with later arrivals and moving at toddler speed.
That's mostly how I anticipate our trips going: sleep in after late nights, early bed after early mornings, mostly half days in the main parks that will be exhausting & hot (water parks/lazy river would be more relaxing).

Thanks for the input. That's part of the reason me/kids are staying another week. DH gets warn out first & isn't interested in shows/fireworks so we wanted to stay longer to enjoy some of the "extras."

What was your transportation method of choice? I was hoping not to tear down the strollers to get on/off buses (I'd rather drive than do that). What transportation methods would you suggest for each of the 4 parks?
Sorry, I’m not much help with the transportation part. When we stayed at SoG we used the buses. It was Christmas and awful. We had the grandsons so we broke down a double stroller every time. I assume you won’t have your own car. If it is in your budget, maybe a Minnie Van?? I hear good things about them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter