2 week vacation, I'm stressing!!!!

GoofyG

DIS Veteran
So to start off I have 3 kiddos with SPD. The oldest isn't bad but does have ADHD (diagnosed in Jan). My DD5 has the most problems, she had speech delay and is a sensory seeker. She is OCD and some developmental delays. I need to start trying to use sone picture card or something for her. We are just at the beginning stages with the developmental pediatrician. She can mentally and physically wear me down. I love her to death!!! My DS3 doesn't like crowds and is an oral sensory kiddo. I'm only on a yr of the SPD diagnoses for the 2 younger.

This is our first trip that isn't Disney. We are doing Great Wolf Lodge, Bush Gardens ( this is probably my biggest concern) a family reunion and then the beach. My DD5 is my biggest concern. She can be very good or really horrible. I'm the one that gets the looks from family, friends, and strangers (I don't care about the looks). I don't know how Bush Gardens is going to go. Also the family reunion. I'm also concerned about the reunion and DS3. I just don't like the unknown. Disney is great with special needs. I think I'm just at the stressing point. It's hard having the kids that no one wants to be around at times. I have a hard time even getting my dad to babysit. Ugh, sorry it for so long.

Busch Gardens must provide accommodations the same as Disney or any other park so you child has equal access. I do not know if they have a formal card like Disney

Our kids who have only the EF and Sensory portion of ASD genetics are the least understood by clinician and others now, since they do not have many of the classic social skills deficits.

It helps to remember that all of their behaviors are communication so vacation is a good time to "listen". Most frustration comes from having expectation that our kids will have typical sensory, EF (or in others cases social) reactions and abilities, once you let go of the expectations and make adjustments to the genetic reality (especially the gifts) it is a lot easier.

With 3 at once the work is 9 times as hard so having multiple supportive adults who "get it" is always the biggest stress reliever.
We are heading out on a 2 week vacation also (WDW), so we will have lot of time to "listen" to our DS/AS without all the "regular background clutter".

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter