20050709 North East US DISMeet July 2005 - Allentown PA

Len - Your story at TSA reminded me of an incident that I'm glad DIDN'T happen. The very first time that I saw Wishes, I was in the Rose Garden. It was before they had completely tweaked the direction of the fireworks mortars and a piece of one of the shells fell literally at my feet. You could smell the gunpowder on the paper. I thought it would make a neat memento of the trip, so I picked it up and put it in my pocket. The thought that my hands now had traces of black powder on them and that I was going to be going through Orlando airport security never crossed my mind. Until the next morning when I was standing in line at the airport. Thankfully, I wasn't chosen as an "Extra" that day.

Now THAT's funny!!!!! ('cause it didn't happen to me)

lentesta said:
Next time, I may just drive.

Len

LOL :rotfl: Good idea!

Len, you did a great job with your informative talk!
Of course we all want jobs now....I will start out riding the busses and perhaps move up to eating my way around the world! :banana:

Ayup ::yes::

My whole group wanted your job as well ;)

My hubby had the same issue flying SW last year, I did warn him it would happen...he was going to FL to meet up with his dad, a single male traveler, no luggage, one way...same deal as you. Glad it worked out ok for ya-some people just jump at that opportunity to embarras others don't they?

It was great getting to meet you!

Your book and the luxury book haven't left my side since I got them ;)
My DWTrivia book is already a constant companion of mine and currently I also carry the Passporter for DCL and a birnbaum's guide...yes, I drive my family absolutely NUTS with all this stuff...but Iiiiiiiiiiiii Like It~

Getting to sit up front and meet this year's VIPs was the highlight of my day

Thank you for a great experience :)

btw-I had mentioned I have a photo similar to your cover photo and wanted to share it with you here...

105IM_A0007.jpg

tiggerwannabe said:
Getting to sit up front and meet this year's VIPs was the highlight of my day

Thank you for a great experience :)

Ditto!! ::yes:: ::yes::

lentesta said:
I had a great time. Fred did a great job coordinating the event, and it ran like butter. And it was great to meet new friends, and see some old ones. (I joked with Towncrier that I see him more often than my dentist.)

Funny story: On the way back to the airport Saturday, I realized I'd actually booked my return flight for Sunday, so I had to change the ticket. It was going through Washington DC...I was changing the ticket 90 minutes before the flight...single male, no bags...one-way ticket. See where I'm going with this?

As I was walking through the first TSA checkpoint, the TSA rep pointed at me and said "EXTRA!" I got the full-on security inspection: wand, pat-down, shoes, belt, rolled-down pants, made me turn on the laptop, work the cell-phone, the works.

They also rubbed the little explosive-detection thing on the contents of my backpack. That would have been fine, except my DD7 gave me a small stuffed animal to carry before the trip. When the security guard saw a grown man traveling alone, with a stuffed animal, he held it up and said "What do we have here?"

Without thinking, I said something like "It's name is Lambie. It's a stuffed lamb my daughter asks me to bring on trips." (It's the plush equivalent of a traveling garden gnome, I suppose.) And for a split second, I thought that Lambie might be a one-way ticket to Guantanamo. Fortunately, he laughed, gave Lambie one more x-ray, and I was on my way.

Next time, I may just drive.

Len

I do hope that Lambie made it home safely! princess:

Sandy

StaceyA said:

Flattery will get you everywhere... Does this mean I have to send you anotehr mug?

Oh wait... you were talking about me, right? LOL

AKQJ10 said:
Flattery will get you everywhere... Does this mean I have to send you anotehr mug?

If I flatter you, Lou, can I get a mug? ;)

I had a great time but didn't win anything.

"Flatter! Flatter! You are super DISer, author, speaker, husband and father! ;) "

Sandy

Ok, this is off topic...but she is sooooo cute!

4305Leontyne6.jpg

[size=-2]Thanks for the lanyards Lou, they'll be perfect for our DCL 7 day Eastern Cruise come Christmas! [/size]

AKQJ10 said:

You are the VIP I was speaking of ;) and of course Deanna and Marian :flower:

Don't forget that I have the box that I now use as my ottoman :rotfl:

sjh801 said:
If I flatter you, Lou, can I get a mug? ;)

I had a great time but didn't win anything.

"Flatter! Flatter! You are super DISer, author, speaker, husband and father! ;) "

Sandy

Back off! Im the official NO 1 Fan LOL :rotfl: :banana:

I won a poster and my imaginary friend won the Hazlenut Truffle Coffee.

StaceyA said:
Back off! Im the official NO 1 Fan LOL :rotfl: :banana:

I won a poster and my imaginary friend won the Hazlenut Truffle Coffee.

No problem! I'll settle for number 2 with a mug! ;)

sjh801 said:
No problem! I'll settle for number 2 with a mug! ;)
#2 probably could get a mug, where #1 gets a Mug and a Box! :rotfl:

Yes, Stacey - I saw all of the great pictures on Deb's AllEarsNet site! And I am very honored to be included amongst them! :) Thanks for the link, too!

I'm with Tiggerwannabe - I also love the "Unofficial Guide" and was thrilled to receive the "Luxury Guide", which is wonderful! I also have the full set of PassPorters, Birnbaum, and the like - my bookcases are filled with WDW guides, Souvenir Books, hard cover pictorial souvenir books, etc.! And I echo Tiggerwannabe and Stacey by saying that sitting up front and meeting the VIP's was a great highlight of the day! And sitting with Fred and his wonderful family was a great honor!

Your Lambie story was great, Len! So sorry that you had to go through that, on your way home, though! Hope that you both had a pleasant trip back! Thanks so much for taking the time to join us and speak with us at the Meet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter