2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

We're upgrading to the regular dining plan from QSDP, and i was wondering if for a TS meal, can you pay for a kid's meal with cash if you're using the dining plan for the adults? DD11 was looking at some menus but only wants what is on the kids menu...will they let her order from the kids menu even though she's 11?

Yes, you can order a kid's meal for her at a la carte places and pay OOP. Just be sure you make enough ADRs to use her leftover credits.

If these November dates are in fact the dates we get for US residents, I am bummed :( Our dates are November 14-18, can't change them since my husband got that time off right now and he can't move his schedule with work obligations. While I'm disappointed, I know that the dates may change but I am not too confident they'll add November dates, just summer ones. I also know it's not a deal breaker since we're going anyway but it's kind of downer. At least now I can stay at POR and not be excluded. The resort choices in the mod category right now are pretty bleak with all the construction. Bluh!
Even if you cant get FD there may be RO discounts during your stay

So everyone is anticipating for FD to possibly drop Mon correct? That will be for Disney Visa card holders right? When does GP get released? Thurs?

I'm really curious if it will be available over Thanksgiving like the rumor says. I love a good Thanksgiving Disney trip!
Where does it say it will be offered over Thanksgiving? I can't imagine them offering a promotion during a time that will be busy simply due to people having off work/school. They aren't even having Christmas parties that week (again, assumingly because they don't need to draw people to WDW during the holiday week).

The rumor (in the second post of this thread) is:
11/24 to 11/27/18

That is technically the Saturday after Thanksgiving . .so basically it is for trips that are happening the week after Thanksgiving.
If I recall, your trip has to START during the time frame to be eligible, correct?

Apologies for the confusion. I was asking about whether it would still be worth it to take free dining over a RO offer if you then upgraded the "free" QSDP offered to guests of a value resort to the regular dining plan. I had planned on having one table service meal every night I'm staying. So maybe I should reconsider taking FD over a room only discount (although I am an AP, so I'm unsure what that discount would look like when it drops in - maybe - June).

If you are an annual pass holder keep in mind that you have to purchase park tickets to get the FD offer and if the rumors of 4 day park hoppers is true then you may be better off purchasing the tables in wonderland card for your discounts at restaurants or see if the restaurants which offer the AP discount are the ones you are looking to go to.

I already have an alarm set on my phone for 3:05am on Monday then every 30 minutes after that until I get up at 5:30. I did this last year and it worked really well. Before going to bed I set the Disney page on the 'Special Offers' page and then when the alarm goes off I wake up and click refresh a few times. (Yes, I don't trust it the first time. ;) ) If there isn't anything new I go back to sleep and repeat 30 mins later.

Rinse and repeat Tuesday morning if the offer does not drop Mon. Wed too if needed. :rolleyes:

Once the offer drops I'm out of bed and down to my Disney set-up in the living room with laptop and iPad at the ready and begin seeing what I can book. I love Disney so the fun for me outside of my regular government job is helping family and friends book Disney trips. Normally I can get 3 or 4 trips booked before the phone lines open.
Boy that must be nice to be able to fall back to sleep once I wake up there is no going back to sleep .

Where does it say it will be offered over Thanksgiving? I can't imagine them offering a promotion during a time that will be busy simply due to people having off work/school. They aren't even having Christmas parties that week (again, assumingly because they don't need to draw people to WDW during the holiday week).

The rumor (in the second post of this thread) is:
11/24 to 11/27/18

That is technically the Saturday after Thanksgiving . .so basically it is for trips that are happening the week after Thanksgiving.
If I recall, your trip has to START during the time frame to be eligible, correct?
That's my understanding. But boy would it be nice to have an incentive to extend your stay. We check in on Thanksgiving, but stay till Dec 1. Would be nice to still get it for the dates that cover.

If these November dates are in fact the dates we get for US residents, I am bummed :( Our dates are November 14-18, can't change them since my husband got that time off right now and he can't move his schedule with work obligations. While I'm disappointed, I know that the dates may change but I am not too confident they'll add November dates, just summer ones. I also know it's not a deal breaker since we're going anyway but it's kind of downer. At least now I can stay at POR and not be excluded. The resort choices in the mod category right now are pretty bleak with all the construction. Bluh!
I am going somewhat the same time, and it is hard to not be bummed about a "missed" discount.

I just look at it .. I booked the time and okay with the price without knowing if ANY discount or promotion is available. So if I can't get one, no loss, if I can get one . .bonus.

Besides, as Pete says -- free dining isn't really free. You pay rack rate and are locked into certain restrictions that may require you to pay more than you originally planned (stay an extra day, stay at a higher tier room/resort). There may be RO discounts that are even better value. I just never look at free dining as a perk personally because I know I can't (or don't want) to eat all the food offered. Plus the restrictions and the hassle of trying to get it, just doesn't seem worth the "potential" savings.

I am more looking forward to those RO discounts or any other promotions for my planned days.

If you are an annual pass holder keep in mind that you have to purchase park tickets to get the FD offer and if the rumors of 4 day park hoppers is true then you may be better off purchasing the tables in wonderland card for your discounts at restaurants or see if the restaurants which offer the AP discount are the ones you are looking to go to.

Is Tables in Wonderland good from its first use or does it match your AP expiration day? I didn’t think TIW was worth it last trip, but I probably should have invested in it.

I currently have a standard room booked. Do I need to change it to preferred to qualify for FD?
I wouldn't at this time. Depending on what is offered, there may be some availability for Standard rooms, especially when the offer first drops

NO WORRIES. The UK has had the "breakfast plan" at values for several years now. U.S. does the one QS free during the summer months, and this year they threw out the "kids eat free" for late summer, but I don't think that one had many takers. Fall free dining should remain the same for U.S.

There was also an offer that was out for this coming summer was called the 'Summer Meal' offer. It was 1 QS meal per person/night, regardless of age. I have 2 packages booked for family in August. They are 5 Disney adults and 1 Disney child. Each of them received a free QS meal for each night of their stay. This information is also confirmed on Mouse Savers so it was available for all, not just children.

Boy that must be nice to be able to fall back to sleep once I wake up there is no going back to sleep .
I will say it's really nice!! Thankfully I got this from my dad as my mom is a light sleeper and once she's up, she's up. I love being able to fall back to sleep, but it can be a challenge when I hit the snooze button over, and over...and over again in the morning! :rolleyes1

I am going somewhat the same time, and it is hard to not be bummed about a "missed" discount.

I just look at it .. I booked the time and okay with the price without knowing if ANY discount or promotion is available. So if I can't get one, no loss, if I can get one . .bonus.

Besides, as Pete says -- free dining isn't really free. You pay rack rate and are locked into certain restrictions that may require you to pay more than you originally planned (stay an extra day, stay at a higher tier room/resort). There may be RO discounts that are even better value. I just never look at free dining as a perk personally because I know I can't (or don't want) to eat all the food offered. Plus the restrictions and the hassle of trying to get it, just doesn't seem worth the "potential" savings.

I am more looking forward to those RO discounts or any other promotions for my planned days.
November room only discounts have come out in July of past years. I'm waiting for Nov 13-17.

There was also an offer that was out for this coming summer was called the 'Summer Meal' offer. It was 1 QS meal per person/night, regardless of age. I have 2 packages booked for family in August. They are 5 Disney adults and 1 Disney child. Each of them received a free QS meal for each night of their stay. This information is also confirmed on Mouse Savers so it was available for all, not just children.

I referenced that one too; it's just in the same sentence as the free kid's one. Disney has had the one free QS for at least two summers now.

Is Tables in Wonderland good from its first use or does it match your AP expiration day? I didn’t think TIW was worth it last trip, but I probably should have invested in it.

The TIW can only be purchased once you arrive at WDW by showing your annual pass. The cost right now I believe is $150 and will be valid for 12 or 13 months from the first day you purchase it. $150 is much less than what a 4 day park hopper would cost you, or even a 2 day park hopper. The Tables in Wonderland card does not go by the AP date.

Would love to hear everyone's plan for Monday. I can't possibly stay up all night because I teach high school. Generally I'm up at 5 am CST. I don't know yet what time I will be up. :surfweb:
I'll be at Disneyworld on Monday and Tuesday and have my alarm set, then get up try and change the reservations along with my brother, and then go back to bed before a full day at the parks.

Modifying question!

I booked a Standard room at Pop. I am flexible to change my dates to arrive a day later. I'm also okay to switch to an all star or a different category (ex. preferred) at Pop. My preference would be to keep the standard room at Pop and shift my dates. If that doesn't work, I would want to try to book an All Star or a more expensive category at Pop depending on availability.

So once it drops, what do I click after hitting modify? Change under "Vacation Offer", "Travel Dates", or "Resort"? I don't want to waste valuable minutes clicking the wrong thing since I am flexible! I've never modified like this before so I don't know what happens after you hit Change under Vacation Offer. Thanks in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter