2018 Price Increases

If you have the means and are planning on buying an AP within the next few years I would buy it now. It doesn't expire until 2030 right now whereas a regular ticket would expire in 2019. Just a thought to help save people money.

well, we decided to order two annual passes - figured either we use one or both this year or we don't and we use them at some point (my guess is we use one this year and one in the future) but at least we have them before the price increases

We’re going in June for sure. I have a set of 5-day passes from undercover tourist that I planned to upgrade since we’ll want to have hoppers and at least one extra day. I knew it would be about $800 total to upgrade (5 passes). Now I’m thinking it will be more like a grand and I’m debating getting a set of 7-day passes before the increase since I know we’ll use them this year. The passes I already have were bought ages ago, so they don’t expire until 2030. We can save them for a trip where we won’t bother to park hop.

I’m also desperate for this news... My current strategy is to buy Sig w/ MP and then upgrade to Premier when going to WDW. I’m hoping this strategy is still beneficial.

It will be interesting to see the new break even point. With how much the 4-5 day ticket prices are looking to go up at WDW, it could be hugely beneficial to upgrade to the premier for a couple of 5 day trips over the year of the AP if the Premier pass doesn’t have a crazy increase too. It hasn’t seen a significant price jump in like two years if I remember right, so I’m not very hopeful. I think it has become too good of a deal for Disney to allow it to continue to exist at its current price point.

It will be interesting to see the new break even point. With how much the 4-5 day ticket prices are looking to go up at WDW, it could be hugely beneficial to upgrade to the premier for a couple of 5 day trips over the year of the AP if the Premier pass doesn’t have a crazy increase too. It hasn’t seen a significant price jump in like two years if I remember right, so I’m not very hopeful. I think it has become too good of a deal for Disney to allow it to continue to exist at its current price point.
The premier and Sig/Sig+ haven’t had an increase in 2 years. The break even point on a premier right now(before any increase) if you were already going to have the DLR Sig+ is a 6 day WDW park hopper. But given that the platinum plus is getting a $80 increase and the rumblings are that DLR increases could be larger then WDW I wouldn’t be surprised to see the premier jump up $100-$200 from the current price.

The premier and Sig/Sig+ haven’t had an increase in 2 years. The break even point on a premier right now(before any increase) if you were already going to have the DLR Sig+ is a 6 day WDW park hopper. But given that the platinum plus is getting a $80 increase and the rumblings are that DLR increases could be larger then WDW I wouldn’t be surprised to see the premier jump up $100-$200 from the current price.

Yeah I’m expecting the DL AP price increases to be brutal. The parks are still insanely crowded, and with Star Wars land coming, I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to thin those ranks before 2019 and then stop offering most of the APs for purchase (or dramatically increasing blockout days).

Yeah I’m expecting the DL AP price increases to be brutal. The parks are still insanely crowded, and with Star Wars land coming, I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to thin those ranks before 2019 and then stop offering most of the APs for purchase (or dramatically increasing blockout days).
And I think it will be brutal now and not so bad next year. Because for someone like me, my current pass expires in July so when I renew my next pass will be good for when SW:GE is suppose to open by.

Thankfully we got our tickets for our April trip from UT in December. Question for any knowledgeable party though. I was planning to upgrade my 6 day hopper to an AP because we have 2 more trips planned in August and December. There’s not a way for me to go ahead and do that over the phone is there? Or is that strictly an in person with Guest Services thing?

The answer to "is it worth it" is "it depends". Sometimes Disney has package discounts with dining that you can only get if include the tickets. This includes the infamous "free dining" packages. I have no idea whether you are thinking of trying to get a package, but you would in that case not want to pre-buy.

As far as how much it will go up, well we already know that now right? What's interesting is that that it shows:
Four day $350 -> $400
Five day $370 -> $415
So if you look at the previous prices, after four days - each step was previously $20 a day (5 day $370, 6 day $390, 7 day $410, 8 day $430)
But the step from 4 to 5 days dropped to only $15. So you would expect 5 day $415, 6 day $430, 7 day $445, 8 day $460.

So this would say the 3 and 4 day passes are taking the worst hit.
So I'm assuming these prices are not including Parkhopper and tax right? And thank you by the way for all info!!!

If you have the means and are planning on buying an AP within the next few years I would buy it now. It doesn't expire until 2030 right now whereas a regular ticket would expire in 2019. Just a thought to help save people money.

Okay .. so basically Disney wants the "average" guest to pay at least $100+ a day/per park unless you stay more than 4 days. Crazy .. but this year over year increase is crazy. You'd think this will backfire eventually (in reduced attendance), but obviously it hasn't.

I like to save money . .so I've bought tickets ahead of time to save money. The options I've used in the past are no longer available (Gee . .I wonder why they did away with them).
In 2014 - I bought 10-day hopper no expiration tickets. It has made my 3 short trips affordable at $75/day/person (way cheaper than getting 2-day tickets).
In 2017 - I bought 3 sets of 5-day MYW (no hopper) tickets that don't expire like the current ones do. That gives me a $69/day/person cost for a future trip.

Now I am considering getting an AP to save money. I've done the math and if you go to the parks 8+ days within a year (in at least two separate trips), it is EASILY worth it. (Considering the AP is hoppers and you get memory maker)

I have a trip in November that I was just going to use the final 3-4 days of my no-expiration tickets on, but now I am seriously considering getting an AP to do a 1-2 punch. Go in November (and be able to be flexible without worry (go to parks for a half a day, etc.)) and then go again in October before my daughter turns 3 (and hopefully have Star Wars land open).

The only reason I've not done that yet is because the opening of SWGE is still up in the air. And frankly I am afraid to burn out the family on Disney in such a short time.

But how much will the unadvertised prices go up? How much are hotels going to be in the future? How much will food be? Will I WANT to afford two trips in a year?

Considering the prices will go up in 2019 as well .. (why wouldn't they?) Saving 10%(or more) on a future purchase is probably a good "investment" . I mean, for those of us invested in the company, Disney's stock has "lost" 10% of value this week alone.
Buying tickets ahead of a price increase is a "sure thing" investment. It's not like ticket prices would ever go down!

Okay .. so basically Disney wants the "average" guest to pay at least $100+ a day/per park unless you stay more than 4 days. Crazy .. but this year over year increase is crazy. You'd think this will backfire eventually (in reduced attendance), but obviously it hasn't.

I like to save money . .so I've bought tickets ahead of time to save money. The options I've used in the past are no longer available (Gee . .I wonder why they did away with them).
In 2014 - I bought 10-day hopper no expiration tickets. It has made my 3 short trips affordable at $75/day/person (way cheaper than getting 2-day tickets).
In 2017 - I bought 3 sets of 5-day MYW (no hopper) tickets that don't expire like the current ones do. That gives me a $69/day/person cost for a future trip.

Now I am considering getting an AP to save money. I've done the math and if you go to the parks 8+ days within a year (in at least two separate trips), it is EASILY worth it. (Considering the AP is hoppers and you get memory maker)

I have a trip in November that I was just going to use the final 3-4 days of my no-expiration tickets on, but now I am seriously considering getting an AP to do a 1-2 punch. Go in November (and be able to be flexible without worry (go to parks for a half a day, etc.)) and then go again in October before my daughter turns 3 (and hopefully have Star Wars land open).

The only reason I've not done that yet is because the opening of SWGE is still up in the air. And frankly I am afraid to burn out the family on Disney in such a short time.

But how much will the unadvertised prices go up? How much are hotels going to be in the future? How much will food be? Will I WANT to afford two trips in a year?

Considering the prices will go up in 2019 as well .. (why wouldn't they?) Saving 10%(or more) on a future purchase is probably a good "investment" . I mean, for those of us invested in the company, Disney's stock has "lost" 10% of value this week alone.
Buying tickets ahead of a price increase is a "sure thing" investment. It's not like ticket prices would ever go down!

Plus with an AP there are often room specials so extra savings there and some food location have discounts (and/or you get get a Tables in Wonderland card for more savings) and if you stay off property and drive the AP will cover your parking ($20/day) - so I think it can make a lot of sense for at least one person in your party to get an AP once you get near a weeks stay and/or are even contemplating a 2nd trip

DH said to me, if they keep upping the price like this we are going to have to sell our points, won't be able to afford going every other year (we have 5 kids). Don't price us out, Disney!

Plus with an AP there are often room specials so extra savings there and some food location have discounts (and/or you get get a Tables in Wonderland card for more savings) and if you stay off property and drive the AP will cover your parking ($20/day) - so I think it can make a lot of sense for at least one person in your party to get an AP once you get near a weeks stay and/or are even contemplating a 2nd trip
Yep, my Spring Break trip was booked on an AP discount. Merchandise discount helps too. I wish they had counter service discounts though.

My wife was saying she wish they had more benefits for non-local AP holders - so like free movie passes or discounts to broadway shows or discounts on flights or something.
Now that would be something. I am sure most of their APs are close though which is why they don't do it.

A few AP questions (since I may be getting one tonight or tomorrow):

- I assume the AP can only be purchased direct through Disney (unlike other tickets)
- Can you use Disney Gift Cards to purchase it (Thinking about the 5% discount by buying them at Target to save even more money (but getting THAT many gift cards at once may be a challenge (and it would take a while to scratch them all off!).
- If I purchase it now, I can use it (even if not activated) to look for Annual Pass hotel discounts?
- Where do I go to look for Annual Pass hotel or dining discounts that are available (or may come available)? (looking at my November trip where I already have a room-only booking made for All Star Movies).
- If I understand it correctly, I can use my 5 day MYW (non-hopper) tickets I bought in Feb of 2017 (for $349) to go towards the cost of an AP. Can that be done over the phone? That may help my NEXT question:

and most importantly:
- Any advice on "breaking" the news to the wife that I want to spend almost $2500 on future Disney tickets? (Especially since I already have 9 days of tickets already purchased and saved up LOL).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter