2018 Princess Half Marathon

I have stayed at BLT and GFV for DS in 2016 and 2017 respectively. The buses pick up at the convention centers of both resorts which are the total opposite location from the villas. I would not suggest it with your special needs son if you are looking for something close to race transportation.

I am definitely looking at something close so this is great to know. Sounds like BLT might not be a great choice--bummer! I love that the 1 bedrooms there have two bathrooms. But short walk definitely trumps second bathroom for this trip. Thanks so much!

Well Boardwalk will have me there and I'm awesome. The bus is in front of the convention center there.
You are awesome! That is a sales point :) That's great to know. Boardwalk and Beach Club have definitely moved front and center since reading in the thread about the monorail for the 5k. Bus right in front sounds good and the location close to Epcot is great. Thanks so much!

I'm running solo here too! 10k for me. Looking forward to "meeting" everybody thru this thread over the next few months. Anybody here doing the Galloway run/walk program? I just upped my run time and my knees are sooooo sore!

Yep I run 30 second intervals and am up to 4 miles on my long run. I'm also running solo but doing the Fairytale Challenge

I saw some comments about the pre-order jackets being small. How small are we talking? Im starting to worry mine will be too small 8o( Im normally comfortably a small...so thats what I ordered. Have they run small every year?

Minimal walking for DS pre and post race

Well, there's walking to be done no matter what. Take a bus and you walk from drop off to security in the lot to the precorral area to corrals.

If you drive there's more walking.

Even if the monorail ran for the shorter races it's not direct; from bay lake it was the resort monorail and then we had to exit and do this big follow the leader walk to get to the park monorail.

Many said that if you stay at Poly you walk to ttc and get directly on the park monorail.

But either way you walk from monorail all the way to security etc.

Contemporary the bus is past the convention center. Staying at bay lake means you walk to contemporary and then to convention center. And if they are spectating for you, this year monorail was the ONLY way to the half and back; NO bus was slated at all to pickup/drop off there (CR/BL) for the Half.

It sounds like the monorail doesn't run for DS and DH's 5K?

Correct.

My biggest pleasant surprise about All Star Sport was the race day transportation. We walked down from our room, hopped on the bus, and were dropped off very close to the corrals. Super limited walking and no other bus stops pre or post race. But with the family in toe, I'm looking for a little more deluxe and convenient to the parks.

How about all star music family suite?

I saw some comments about the pre-order jackets being small. How small are we talking? Im starting to worry mine will be too small 8o( Im normally comfortably a small...so thats what I ordered. Have they run small every year?

They don't usually run small.

They don't usually run small.

I am a size small and sometimes extra small. I pre-ordered the jacket this year in a size small. I couldn't even get my arm in the sleeve. The policy is no exchanges or refunds, but they let me trade it for a size medium. The medium fits me perfectly.

For those that want more info for the Galloway 1/2 Marathon Pace Groups I found their run/walk segments online.

Galloway Pace Times.jpg

I ran with the 2:30 pace group this year and loved it! I finished my first 1/2 with a time of 2:29. This year that group was located in corral G and maintained an 11min pace. Not every corral will have a pace group. The pace group information will be located at the Galloway booth at the expo. I'm training to run with the 2:15 pace group next year, but I don't remember what corral they were in this year. Fingers crossed that I'm put in that corral or they are in the one immediately behind me!

ETA: If I remember right during the run segment we were running at a 9min pace.

We have stayed in the Contemporary main tower for two Star Wars Darkside race weekends. The first go around they ran the monorail and we took it to the half marathon, but this year they changed the course and we could only take the bus. (Which can always happen..) Both times it was very convenient and easy. Even with the bus the convention center is right in front of the hotel. We just rode the elevator down to the lobby and had a very minimal walk to the bus. It's also great being able to walk to Magic Kingdom and take the monorail to eat at the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. If you are looking for more theming or would prefer to be closer to Epcot/Studios than as others stated you cannot go wrong with Beach club or Boardwalk. Both are really nice. :)

I just re-read through the entire thread because I remembered that the issue of where to stay has been brought up a couple times, but I'm still going back and forth on a few.

We've been to Disneyland too many times to count (California natives) and Disneyworld a handful of times. We've stayed at Yacht Club (club), Grand Floridian (club), Animal Kingdom Jamba, All Star Sport (just me for recent Dark Side), and we have a stay at Kidani coming up in July. For the Princess in Feb, I'll be doing the half, but my husband and special needs son will be doing the 5k. We will not have a car.

My goals are:
1. Easy, quick transportation on race days
2. Minimal walking for DS pre and post race
3. Direct buses (or other direct transportation).
4. Resort convenient to parks, preferably walkable to something
5. Deluxe accommodation, preferably 1-bedroom suite or 1 bdrm villa (again because of DS who sleeps better in his own space).

I've been focusing on a BLT 1-bdr villa, a suite at the contemporary or Poly because we've never stayed at any of these resorts, and I thought the ease to MK would be great for DS. But after reading through some of the earlier comments in the thread, I'm concerned about race day transportation. It sounds like the monorail doesn't run for DS and DH's 5K? I guess I was trying to figure out how much walking around and bus stops will be involved without the monorail for these resorts with the 5k. My biggest pleasant surprise about All Star Sport was the race day transportation. We walked down from our room, hopped on the bus, and were dropped off very close to the corrals. Super limited walking and no other bus stops pre or post race. But with the family in toe, I'm looking for a little more deluxe and convenient to the parks.

I have also thought about Beach Club or Boardwalk.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and expert opinions :)

Well, there's walking to be done no matter what. Take a bus and you walk from drop off to security in the lot to the precorral area to corrals.

If you drive there's more walking.

Even if the monorail ran for the shorter races it's not direct; from bay lake it was the resort monorail and then we had to exit and do this big follow the leader walk to get to the park monorail.

Many said that if you stay at Poly you walk to ttc and get directly on the park monorail.

But either way you walk from monorail all the way to security etc.

Contemporary the bus is past the convention center. Staying at bay lake means you walk to contemporary and then to convention center. And if they are spectating for you, this year monorail was the ONLY way to the half and back; NO bus was slated at all to pickup/drop off there (CR/BL) for the Half.

How about all star music family suite?
Thank you so much for the information! This is all really helpful. I will indeed check out ASM and other options, but was hoping to be closer to the parks with possibility of walking to and from on non-race days.

We have stayed in the Contemporary main tower for two Star Wars Darkside race weekends. The first go around they ran the monorail and we took it to the half marathon, but this year they changed the course and we could only take the bus. (Which can always happen..) Both times it was very convenient and easy. Even with the bus the convention center is right in front of the hotel. We just rode the elevator down to the lobby and had a very minimal walk to the bus. It's also great being able to walk to Magic Kingdom and take the monorail to eat at the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. If you are looking for more theming or would prefer to be closer to Epcot/Studios than as others stated you cannot go wrong with Beach club or Boardwalk. Both are really nice. :)

Thank you so much--this is great. Sounds like if I do the MK area resorts the Contemporary is going to be the way to go (rather than BLT or poly). I'm also checking out BWV and BCV--thanks to everyone for chiming in. Really appreciate the help. DS is a good walker but he wears down quickly. I suspect after the race he will be very tired, and I want to minimize as much as possible things that could push him over the edge. I always try to put him in the best position to succeed & make the experience for him as fun as possible so he'll want to do it again :)

I am a size small and sometimes extra small. I pre-ordered the jacket this year in a size small. I couldn't even get my arm in the sleeve. The policy is no exchanges or refunds, but they let me trade it for a size medium. The medium fits me perfectly.

Thank you...I might try calling to see if I can switch it since its still so early

Yep I run 30 second intervals and am up to 4 miles on my long run. I'm also running solo but doing the Fairytale Challenge

To the OP...you'll find there are tons of people running Galloway, as he is the official trainer for runDisney. I have done both 15/15 and 30/30 and had success with either one. I am always solo and always have a great time.

To the OP...you'll find there are tons of people running Galloway, as he is the official trainer for runDisney. I have done both 15/15 and 30/30 and had success with either one. I am always solo and always have a great time.

Im new to training for a race like this...so, are you/others running the entire half at 30 seconds run/30 seconds walk? How do you manage this best? Do you have a runners watch?

Im new to training for a race like this...so, are you/others running the entire half at 30 seconds run/30 seconds walk? How do you manage this best? Do you have a runners watch?

I did Light Side and Princess 10K and Halfs like this. I bought a GymBoss timer at the Galloway booth at Light Side after the Galloways talked me into trying 30 second intervals. :) Clip it to my sportsbra strap and do what it says when it says to change. :) I, of course, ALWAYS look to the left and right before speeding up to a jog or slowing down to a walk. And I usually put my hand up so it's visible when I'm changing speeds, to signal to those behind me that, at least, *something* is going to happen LOL.

I had been doing one minute intervals, but the 1 minute walk was killing my time (I was getting slower and slower and not wanting to jog), and the 1 minute run segment was too much for my lungs. 30 seconds helped me in both ways. I personally am not faster yet, mainly because injuries that aren't due to running have kept me from training like I should, BUT I don't feel horrid at the end.

My DH and kids will be on the trip with me, but I'm the only one running. Wish I had a runner friend...
I will be solo...possibly for the trip. My kids are in college and probably cannot join, but DD definitely wants to come...but she does not want to run.

This is my first ever runDisney event. DS did the dark side a few weeks ago. It was great being a spectator so I thought I should get off the couch and get moving. Then I signed up for Princess half. Wanted to do 10k but that was sold out , so was 5k, so here I am. It is definitely a "couch to half" experience for me. Right now I am hoping to just finish but also want to be able to stop and take princess pics during the race.
Any advice for newbie to running in any race,

I did Light Side and Princess 10K and Halfs like this. I bought a GymBoss timer at the Galloway booth at Light Side after the Galloways talked me into trying 30 second intervals. :) Clip it to my sportsbra strap and do what it says when it says to change. :) I, of course, ALWAYS look to the left and right before speeding up to a jog or slowing down to a walk. And I usually put my hand up so it's visible when I'm changing speeds, to signal to those behind me that, at least, *something* is going to happen LOL.

I had been doing one minute intervals, but the 1 minute walk was killing my time (I was getting slower and slower and not wanting to jog), and the 1 minute run segment was too much for my lungs. 30 seconds helped me in both ways. I personally am not faster yet, mainly because injuries that aren't due to running have kept me from training like I should, BUT I don't feel horrid at the end.

Thank you! This is a huge help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter