2018 Princess Half Marathon

Hi all! Was just thinking about Princess as I'm prepping for Tink next week. Was hoping there was already a 2018 group formed! I'm doing the 5K with my daughter who will be 6 and then I will be doing the FTC. Never done a rD event at WDW before. Have traveled there several times though, so trying to debate the best place to stay.

I will be solo...possibly for the trip. My kids are in college and probably cannot join, but DD definitely wants to come...but she does not want to run.

This is my first ever runDisney event. DS did the dark side a few weeks ago. It was great being a spectator so I thought I should get off the couch and get moving. Then I signed up for Princess half. Wanted to do 10k but that was sold out , so was 5k, so here I am. It is definitely a "couch to half" experience for me. Right now I am hoping to just finish but also want to be able to stop and take princess pics during the race.
Any advice for newbie to running in any race,

Start training now and run a 10K as soon as you are able and then run another 10k in the fall so you can post a time to get a better corral placement.

Joining in! This will be my first runDisney event and my first half! I am both excited and terrified, but definitely more excited because it's another excuse to go to Disney. Just curious, do runners typically go to the parks after? Even though the event is early in the morning, I just see myself being too tired or sore to do that.
I thought the same thing when I did my first Princess 1/2 (2017). I took about an hour nap afterward and spent the rest of the weekend in the parks. I did take it easy on the course though. If you plan to push yourself in order to see characters you may have a different experience. FWIW

Signed up for this forum just for the sake of joining this thread, haha!

I'm all signed up for the FTC for next year but I'm a little bummed because my sister can't join me like she did in 2017. Anyone else flying solo in 2018?
I am so far.

Just curious, do runners typically go to the parks after? Even though the event is early in the morning, I just see myself being too tired or sore to do that.
Absolutely! I go back to my room first and spend time doing my usual post-run foam rolling/stretching, then shower, eat, and rest for a while, then head out to a park in the afternoon/evening.

Anybody here doing the Galloway run/walk program? I just upped my run time and my knees are sooooo sore!
LOTS of Galloway-ers around here! As others have said, Galloway suggests pretty short intervals these days, so don't feel like you need to increase the length of your run intervals. Personally, I do a variety of different intervals depending on how I'm feeling, the purpose of my run (long, slow distance vs. short, intense speed work), the weather, and crowd conditions. As an example, I often run 1:00/:30 intervals in training, but I'll switch to :30/:30 for a Disney race: the shorter intervals are easier to skip as needed to go with the flow of the crowd and minimize weaving around. Play with your intervals on training runs and you'll likely find your "sweet spot" where it feels most comfortable!

My goals are:
1. Easy, quick transportation on race days
2. Minimal walking for DS pre and post race
3. Direct buses (or other direct transportation).
4. Resort convenient to parks, preferably walkable to something
5. Deluxe accommodation, preferably 1-bedroom suite or 1 bdrm villa (again because of DS who sleeps better in his own space).
My two cents' worth as a frequent WDW visitor...
1. and 2. are almost impossible to guarantee at any resort. At every race, at least one resort will have a transportation issue/long bus line/lost driver/long walk. It's just a gamble wherever you stay, so I wouldn't even use those as factors in deciding.
3. Meaning no other stops? For the races, no guarantees there, either. Sometimes the deluxe resort race buses do stop at multiple resorts, sometimes they don't. Ditto for parks - some have dedicated buses, while others share - and this can vary depending on time of day and need, too.
4. The only resorts from which you can walk to parks are the Poly (MK), CR (MK), BC/YC (EP/DHS), BW (EP,DHS) and Swolphin (EP/DHS). None of those are particularly short walks, keep in mind.
5. Any of the DVC options will get you a 1 bedroom.

Im new to training for a race like this...so, are you/others running the entire half at 30 seconds run/30 seconds walk? How do you manage this best? Do you have a runners watch?
Yes, I run my intervals from start to finish. The idea is to reduce fatigue early so as to finish strong. Lots of options out there - interval timers you can clip on to clothes, watches, apps. I use an app on my iPhone called iSmoothRun. I can program intervals of any length and it gives me alerts for when tow alk and run, plus I get notification about my pace, distance, time, when to take fuel, etc. and it syncs with my music.

Last edited:
Joining in! This will be my first runDisney event and my first half! I am both excited and terrified, but definitely more excited because it's another excuse to go to Disney. Just curious, do runners typically go to the parks after? Even though the event is early in the morning, I just see myself being too tired or sore to do that.
We napped until noonish, grabbed food at the resort, then headed to EPCOT to snack around the world before dining reservations at Garden Grill- which is a perfect post race feast! But it was a slower park day, lots of sitting and watching the acrobats, eating Victory Cronuts in Canada, and getting pictures with our medals and Mulan!

Last edited:

My husband has bought the Light Side one 3 times now - he's comfortable in his small.

I bet there's a difference in men's and women's jacket sizing. :)

Personally, I do a variety of different intervals depending on how I'm feeling, the purpose of my run (long, slow distance vs. short, intense speed work), the weather, and crowd conditions. As an example, I often run 1:00/:30 intervals in training, but I'll switch to :30/:30 for a Disney race: the shorter intervals are easier to skip as needed to go with the flow of the crowd and minimize weaving around.

Good points.

I definitely like being able to skip a walk segment if needed (course crowding, legs feeling great, good song comes on). I don't make it a practice because of not wanting to exhaust myself, but it's good to be able to do.

Hello, all!
It's been a long time since I've posted; however, my hubby just gave me the go ahead to sign up for the half. I did the 2014 Princess Half, but only made it to the med tent at mile 9. Here's hoping to finishing this time! I look forward to getting to know everyone here during training.

edited: 2014 Princess Half because my brain apparently can't remember dates all that well.

Last edited:
Im new to training for a race like this...so, are you/others running the entire half at 30 seconds run/30 seconds walk? How do you manage this best? Do you have a runners watch?

Yes I am! Obviously, there are times that you have to adjust like crowding, photo stops, water stops, etc. In that case, I just pick up where I left off. I have a Garmin Forerunner 220 that I use for my interval timer. I train with it on vibrate, so that I can get used to feel. There are so many people beeping, I'd never know which beep was mine!

I definitely like being able to skip a walk segment if needed (course crowding, legs feeling great, good song comes on). I don't make it a practice because of not wanting to exhaust myself, but it's good to be able to do.

Occasionally, I'll run through one if I'm trying to get around someone or something, but I try not to make a habit out of it unless I have to.

Hello, all!
It's been a long time since I've posted; however, my hubby just gave me the go ahead to sign up for the half. I did the 2013 Princess Half, but only made it to the med tent at mile 9. Here's hoping to finishing this time! I look forward to getting to know everyone here during training.

Welcome! I hope you have a better time with this one!

I'm registered for the half! This will he my 4th half, but my first RunDisney race. So excited!!

My two cents' worth as a frequent WDW visitor...
1. and 2. are almost impossible to guarantee at any resort. At every race, at least one resort will have a transportation issue/long bus line/lost driver/long walk. It's just a gamble wherever you stay, so I wouldn't even use those as factors in deciding.
3. Meaning no other stops? For the races, no guarantees there, either. Sometimes the deluxe resort race buses do stop at multiple resorts, sometimes they don't. Ditto for parks - some have dedicated buses, while others share - and this can vary depending on time of day and need, too.
4. The only resorts from which you can walk to parks are the Poly (MK), CR (MK), BC/YC (EP/DHS), BW (EP,DHS) and Swolphin (EP/DHS). None of those are particularly short walks, keep in mind.
5. Any of the DVC options will get you a 1 bedroom.

I love your two cents'! Thank you so much, this is all very helpful. Totally understand that I can't plan for for everything and no guarantees--my hope is more to better the odds :)

I love your two cents'! Thank you so much, this is all very helpful. Totally understand that I can't plan for for everything and no guarantees--my hope is more to better the odds :)
I just wanted to add that you cannot walk from Poly to the Magic Kingdom. The only resort you can walk to the Magic Kingdom from is the Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower. Just did not want that to be a considering factor for anyone unfamiliar with WDW. Still one of my favorite resorts, though!:)

I haven't posted yet but I am in for 2018! I did all 3 races in 2017 but am "only" doing the challenge this time. We are bringing the whole family so I thought I would only subject them to my early morning wakeups 2 days instead of 3 :)

I had a corral nightmare but managed to change my corral at race relations. I went from the last corral to corral a! I would like to start in corral a again. Can anyone advise me on what kind of time I need to submit to be placed in a?

For 2017 I believe corral A was sub 1:51. My 3:58 full marathon got me in A. I always wonder if it's better to submit my full marathon time or my 1:50 half time!

I haven't posted yet but I am in for 2018! I did all 3 races in 2017 but am "only" doing the challenge this time. We are bringing the whole family so I thought I would only subject them to my early morning wakeups 2 days instead of 3 :)

For 2017 I believe corral A was sub 1:51. My 3:58 full marathon got me in A. I always wonder if it's better to submit my full marathon time or my 1:50 half time!

Thank you I've submitted a 1/2 p.o.t time of 1:43:08. I'm doing another 1/2 in October but if I don't beat the time I've submitted hopefully it should be enough. I wonder if I saw you this year in A?!

I just wanted to add that you cannot walk from Poly to the Magic Kingdom. The only resort you can walk to the Magic Kingdom from is the Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower. Just did not want that to be a considering factor for anyone unfamiliar with WDW. Still one of my favorite resorts, though!:)
Yes! Sorry about that - I knew something wasn't right in my post, but I was hurrying and couldn't figure it out quickly! You can walk form Poly to TTC, then ferry or monorail to MK from there. But in that case, I'd just boat or monorail directly from Poly to MK.

Is anyone else wanting to do Tinkerbell 2018 also to get their coast to coast Pink Medal? I'm really tempted to do it but I have never done a California Race.

Is anyone else wanting to do Tinkerbell 2018 also to get their coast to coast Pink Medal? I'm really tempted to do it but I have never done a California Race.

I am planning to do it (along with CaliforniaGirl09), but we are from Idaho and California, respectively, so it's the WDW races that are harder for us. We got our blue 10th anniversary coast to coast and Kessel Run medals this year for doing SWLS and DS, so next year it's the pink (and another blue since we are also doing 2018 Star Wars at DL) coast to coast. We are both heading down to DL for Tinkerbell this weekend and are going to see if we can sign up for the 2018 Tink half at the expo.

Is there any benefit to booking your hotel accommodations through the run Disney number? We have annual passes, so we don't need a package of any kind.

Okay, great--thanks for making that clear. I hear about the Poly love so much that it's tempting :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter