• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2022 Trip Planning Thread

We have a room-only 8 night reservation booked at All Star Movies for the last week of August 2022. We still have 2 sets of "Canadian Discount" tickets with no expiry date sitting in the safety deposit box at the bank. We have a 4-day plus waterpark ticket that we'll likely use for the August 2022 trip. We had to pay a deposit, which worked out to about 1 night's stay. We have until about a week before check-in to cancel, and get a full refund of our deposit with no penalties. Having that stay booked allows us to start planning some of the fun, even if it is still about 16 months away. We always drive to Orlando from South-Western Ontario so we have no flights to worry about.

So I went ahead and booked westjet for Xmas so we have flights out of Syracuse and flights out of Toronto and will use whichever one is easier and well I guess go somewhere else in two years with westjet or I have until June to use JetBlue .. ( big kids want to go to Denver to see their friend play hockey next spring .. I’m ok with Fla next break or break after or Cali who cares at this point .. I just want to go somewhere )
I just look at it as prepaying the next vacation ha ha ..
With today’s CBC article discussing vaccine passports being almost a certainty and the news about mass shipments of vaccines , I think it’s looking better and better to be able to travel by December.

With today’s CBC article discussing vaccine passports being almost a certainty and the news about mass shipments of vaccines , I think it’s looking better and better to be able to travel by December.
Agreed. I also read an article today (wish I could find it again to link here) that quoted a Pfizer top doc as saying a vaccine for all ages of kids could be available as early as this fall. All of that news combined makes me really hopeful for our March 2022 trip!!

ideally we will fly out of Syracuse as that’s expiring in June .. and save the westjet for whenever . Even with that we will be left with a $590 bank out of Syracuse ..thinking if I can nail down boys dads to taking littles for a long weekend I’ll take the kids somewhere close like nyc or ?? Chicago for a weekend .. instead of letting it go to waste .. hmm so much daydreaming to do / planning :)

I really want to be able to go on my trip in December, a lot of it will depend on whether my son can get vaccinated by then. He's 11 and only turns 12 part way through the trip. I am hopeful it will all work out, but haven't paid off the cruises or purchased flights yet... I'm not really sure what I am waiting for? The dollar is doing well, and the flights are more likely to go up than down in price. I should get the flights at least, then if cruising doesn't happen we could always spend two weeks at Disney instead.

Travel will definitely be based on the border being open and being fully vaccinated. I will have had both shots before travelling but my son may not. As well I am not willing to do one of the quarantine hotels so if they are still required, that would be a deal breaker. How are you feeling about travel this year?
After cancelling 5 times, we are hoping to go this year. At this point we’re just trying to decide when we can plan to quarantine for 2 weeks when we return (if this is lowered with vaccination then great but we’ll plan for all of the restrictions in case).

It’s nice to see people full of hope for trips not too far into the future. My girls and I were talking about maybe getting to go on a Feb 2022 trip.... Not booking now but we are dreaming.

We have 2 trips booked for 2022:

1) 8 nights at Universal Orlando. We’ll stay at the Hard Rock and likely see some of Disney Springs as well. It’s a long time for Universal but we are getting APs anyway and we love combining theme park mornings with pool time afternoons.

2) 7 nights Pop, 4 nights AK and 5 nights Universal in September. This is our replacement trip for Sept 2021 which was for DH’s 50th. Unfortunately it will have to be a year late. We’ve never stayed at AK before and are definitely springing for a Savannah view room.

SO frustrating! We don't know when we can travel again, and hence we can't plan anything ahead. If we book anything, we might have to cancel. I have been booking and cancelling many many times over the past year. By the time we are certain we can book, I am sure the price for air fare will be insanely high (because of last minute booking). So we are screwed either way.

SO frustrating! We don't know when we can travel again, and hence we can't plan anything ahead. If we book anything, we might have to cancel. I have been booking and cancelling many many times over the past year. By the time we are certain we can book, I am sure the price for air fare will be insanely high (because of last minute booking). So we are screwed either way.
This is why we planned a trip for almost a year out (end of Feb/beginning of March 2022). I am hopeful by then things will be more back to normal. We booked the room and tickets as a package with only a $200 deposit, that we can change dates or cancel one month prior. And our flights with Air Canada are not fully refundable, but we can either change the date once for free, or get the cost back in vouchers that don't expire (which we will for sure use). So we went ahead and booked because it seemed fairly low risk, and super exciting to have something to look forward to!

We lost our Disney World trip (mixed with short cruise) Aug of 2020. Wasn't sure when we would get back, but our DD is turning 13 next year. In our religion, we typically have a big party...think wedding style with a hall, etc.. with a religious part for her (I'm not religious at all but it's tradition in our culture). We did this for DS. But with things still up in the air, we are going to keep it more low key. Thus, long story short (oops...too late...lol), we offered her a trip to compensate as part of her 13 celebration. Well, she picked Disney World. No objections there! So...fingers crossed....end of August 2022 we'll be back. I assume by then that kids will be vaccinated (seems like in next few months) and borders open, and travel normal etc etc

I notice that only a few hotels are open now? We would typically book a value resort but have decided to splurge and book a monorail resort. Am only seeing Grand Floridian at the moment...but i know lots of time as well.

OK, Im onboard, sick and tired with all the Covid crap and I'm more than ready for a distraction, We had a big trip planned for this week, actually the past 2 weeks as our 3 daughters are graduating High School this year. The depressed atmosphere at our house had been getting steadily more intense since early Feb as reality set in we weren't even leaving the province, let alone going to Disney. Now, as they are all planning to continue their education next fall a new reality has risen its ugly head. As all 3 are going on to different schools, none have the same spring break.
Now this may sound like a cunnumdrum for a family vacation, it does present an interesting opportunity for their mother and I, one we wont be sharing with the girls.,...... We're going by ourselves, ALL ALONE, in late Feb of next year. To be honest Im actually quite excited, we haven't been away for anything longer than 4 days since our son was born in '99. Admittedly we will miss the constant chatter their enthusiasm and willing partners to go on rides that someone may want to sit out, What we or at least I (who does the majority of the planning) wont miss is first the cost, 3 less tickets, 1 less room and 3 less rather carniverous mouths to feed, yeah that's going to hurt. If you believe that girls don't eat haven't met all 5'7, 110lbs of our technically oldest daughter. the planning alone should be a breeze, provided Covid has been laid to rest, the logistics behind one simple dinning reservation is astronomical. The only only commonality these three share other than they same womb for 35 weeks is a love of ice cream as such the only mutually agreeable place to eat is Ghiradelli's, So lets all trudeau is telling us the truth, we have a vaccine in place, it gets into peoples arms in time to end this mess and the border finally re-opens before we celebrate another anniversary of 2 weeks to flatten the curve. 2022 may just be the year! If anyone has any suggestions for a NO KIDS trip, let us know, we are open to any suggestions

We went for the first time alone in Feb 2019. We needed a break from our AB winter and thought we'd spend some time in St. Augustine (highly recommended) and it eventually morphed into 4 days there plus 4 day on the side DIS trip. It was HEAVEN! St. Augustine was amazing and not a terribly far drive. We stayed at a really nice bed and breakfast; Agustin Inn. We booked a DVC rental at Beach Club, which was a 5 minute walk to Epcot. We were able to have way more opportunity to dine out (no extra mouths) and we were able to navigate the parks so much more easily with just the two of us from shopping to stopping for a drink. It was great! Even in their early twenties, the kids don't ever want to go off on their own. I guess we should be thankful that they still like hanging with us but it is hard keeping everyone happy when the parks are busy (which seems to be all the time now).
We are so burned out with our ridiculous Alberta government and look forward to ANY travel next year. I was fully vaccinated in Jan 2021 as I'm a health care worker, but who knows when I'll need a booster. DH has had only one shot and waiting to find out when the next one will happen. I'm gonna start planning for May 2022 - it HAS to be better by then!

We're hoping to finally get back for the end of April/start of May 2022. Our last trip we squeezed in as much as we could in 3 days so we're going to space things out this time. Planning to rent DVC points at the Beach Club for 8 nights with plans for 5 days in the parks and a couple resort days. Will be the first time trying to rent DVC points so hopefully we can make it work.

Just booked a 2 week (rebookable) flight to Hawaii for Feb 2022 - plan 1 week at Aulani (DVC - we aren't rich!) and 1 week Waikiki Beach. We are so anxious about whether this can happen or not...fingers crossed!! Crazy bluenosers!

Last edited:
I can't stop myself from researching and watching YouTube videos on all inclusive resorts for a warm winter celebration birthday vacation. I don't want to pull the trigger to put a deposit down on one yet. as job situations have changed a bit, and we need to see how the money washes out in a month...but I can't stop now that I've started. I want to pull the trigger and just do it...but I have to hold off for now.

Right now, it is an escape from everything. Maybe that is why I can't stop 🤷‍♀️

We have March break booked right now (trip was originally going to be March break 2020, rescheduled to Christmas 2020, then to Christmas 2021, and finally now rescheduled again to March 2022.) Lots of craziness with flights (cancellations/refunds/credits), with car rental rates (yikes), and we basically lost the customized magic bands we paid for originally (2 sets for a split stay) --- which is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things... but still annoying. We had luckily bought flexible date Canadian tickets that now expire in 2030 so that was one good thing.

DH and myself have had the 1st vaccine shot (we'll get our second this summer) and we'll get our DS (15) vaccinated as soon as we can.

I think there are several guideposts we'd use determine whether we'll reschedule again or not....
- no new Covid wave or varient occurs that makes things dangerous again
- schools keep current March break plans for 2021/2022 school year
- fireworks, entertainment, and shows need to be back
- no quarantine requirements on arrival in MCO or return to Canada (okay with testing requirements though)
- travel health insurance needs to fully cover things
- more restaurants open and the menus return to something closer to normal
- availability of parties, special events, tours would all play a minor role but could tip the balance

We really hope that March 2022 works out... but I guess Christmas 2022 would be our re-schedule date

Editing my post since we switched dates. But we are finally letting go of our August trip and will be re-booking for end of April! Only 1.5 years late but hopeful for this date being next to normal, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
We have All Star Movies booked for December 2021. If we don't get to go then, then we won't be going back for a while so this is kinda our last shot.

Manitoba's Covid situation is terrible right now, but other provinces are doing ok it seems and have reopening plans so it gives me hope lol. So very cautiously optimistic. We had to cancel our April 2020 trip due to Covid, then again in October (we foolishly though the pandemic would be over by then hahah).

The only things that will deter us from going:
- border is closed
- quarantine upon return from Canada
- it doesn't seem safe to travel because of new wave or something

I don't care if we have to get Covid tests. That's the least of my worries.

I'm debating buying WestJet flights before May 31st (to take advantage of the $0 change or cancel policy). They're currently $600/ticket from Winnipeg, which is probably the second cheapest I have ever seen them since we started going to Disney in 2012 (cheapest was $400/ticket). We have a $500 gift card so it's only really $700 out of pocket for us then, which is fine if we have to cancel. We always fly WestJet and will definitely go somewhere within 2 years.

I do have to call Disney directly about our tickets though. We currently have 1 x 5 Day Canadian Resident Base ticket (expires September 2021) and 1 x 5 day Canadian Resident AirMiles Base ticket (no expiration). I hope they'll let me 1) extend the expiry on the first one and 2) add an extra day onto both tickets and pay the difference to make them into 6 day tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter