3 Favorite Rides to become Movies

canda

a Dis board vulture
I just got back from the movie theater and there was a poster of "The Country Bear Jamboree" 1. I saw on countingdown.com that "The Haunted Mansion" is going to be made into a movie. 2. A somebody told me that Jerry Bruckheimer is making "Pirates of the Carr." Anybody hear if this is true?

Yes, these are all in various stages of development. Check out some earlier posts on this subject further down the board.
Was the poster more of a teaser, with just a big picture and a few words, or did it have credits at the bottom?

I'm a manager at our local multiplex (a good job to get me through college) and I just hung up the "Country Bears" poster three days ago. The poster does have credits on the bottom. It basically shows four bears - one in each corner. It's as if the bears were in a huddle and a camera was underneath them and a picture was taken then; so some of the bears appear to be upside down.

I realize that the description is pretty lousy, but it is a pretty simple poster. Still, I'm actually looking forward to this one.

RyMickey

According to the latest Hollywood buzz, the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ project is being offered to Jerry Bruckheimer and Ridley Scott (of ‘Black Hawk Down’ fame) as a way to get Mr. Bruckheimer back to Disney after the fiasco of ‘Pearl Harbor’. If the two agree to do the project (a huge “if” ), expect it to be Disney’s mega movie for the summer of 2004. There hasn’t been a successful pirate movie since the mid fifties, so that’s either an indication that no on wants a pirate movie or that Disney’s found a genre they can revive.

The buzz on ‘Haunted Mansion’ is that The Company has a script it likes and is shopping for producers, directors and actors. The rumor is that script is set in the present day and does give away some of the background of the mansion, but there’s some disagreement about how closely it follows the “lost sea captain and bride” story found in the Disneyland and WDW versions of the attraction. By the way, if you get a chance, track down a recording of the score to Disneyland Paris’ ‘Phantom Manor’. The familiar music has been redone as a gothic horror movie score and is fantastic.

There are rumors that scripts for ‘Big Thunder Mountain’ and ‘Space Mountain’ have already been assigned. Other rumors say that The Company is pushing for a script tied to California Adventure as a marketing vehicle for that park. All of these scripts are being handled by Disney’s ABC Screenwriting intern program, so it’s pretty much like handing out a creative writing assignment to a class.

At this point, only ‘Country Bears’ and maybe ‘Pirates’ look like they’ll be theatrical movies. The others are budgeted for TV and direct-to-video. Then again, ‘Peter Pan 2’ is being shoved into theaters so anything is possible…

I don't like the idea of sequals to films that are supposed to have ended 'Happily Ever After'... As a wise man once said, "You can't top pigs with pigs."

On another note, I would much rather see new films based on classic attractions than see classic attractions permanantly butchered to reflect new films (While I don't hate the new tiki room, I do feel that a great disservice was done, and would have rather seen a completely different attraction go in.)

What’s wrong with ‘Peter Pan 2’. You want the list alphabetically, chronologically or just in order of importance?

Good movies are only made when someone wants to tell a story they are passionate about. Movie making is very difficult, and you need a group of people willing to put in the immense effort to create something good. There is a reason why it took Walt Disney a decade to make one of his movies and why he had such a large staff to create them. It had nothing to do with “different times”, “pre-Wall Street economics” or even the Captain’s fabled “foolish business practices”. It’s because it’s damn hard and with animation you don’t get a second chance to get it right.

‘PP2’ was an assignment. It is a naked grab for money, nothing more. There wasn’t a writer with a burning desire to tell a story, there was no production team striving to bring a vision to life. It was a job, it was a pay check. Because of that, the movie reflects the same level of excitement that office workers put into the February month-end accounting close or that you put into your fourth-grade essay assignment about President Zachary Taylor.

‘PP2’ was never meant to go into theaters. It was planned as a quick and dirty direct to video, essentially to get parents to drop $19.95 based on the brand name. The public’s expectations are rather low for videos as most of them are used simply as electronic Valium for the kids.

But the public has a much higher expectation when it comes to theatrical releases – an expectation that will be tested by ‘PP2’. It’s going to be interesting to see if the Disney brand remains strong as its products are reduced to the same level as the ‘Rugrats’ and ‘Jimmy Neutron’.

P.S. The last movie that Pixar will make for Disney, ‘Route 66’, is being described as the film version of Disneyland’s recently revamped Autopia.

Isn't it odd that with a movie coming out that Disneyland closed CBJ. Has anyone heard what is going into that location? Or is there going to be a complete rehab of CBJ at Disneyland for the movie (actually that would probbly make more sence, they could say the bears made the movie while on hiatus from DL) I doubt though, that whoever is in charge at DL could think that far ahead.

The story to ‘PP2’, TV Guide version:

London, World War II. Wendy’s all grown up and has a family of her own. After thirty years, Captain Hook has finally come up with a plan. He sails to London in the middle of Blitz, kidnaps Wendy’s daughter to trick Peter Pan to rescue her. They fly off to Neverland. Wendy’s daughter escapes, experiences several poorly written musical numbers with the political corrected cast members from the first movie, and returns to London. The End.

Not much of a plot, the musical numbers are awful. The animation is TV quality. The story adds nothing to the whole ‘Peter Pan’ legend. In short, there’s no reason why this movie was made other than to cash in on the brand names.

If you happen to buy the 20th anniversary DVD for ‘Tron’, you can watch the “blitz” sequence. Any time you have a scene with a pirate ship flying across London being attacked by Nazi fighter planes that’s this amazingly boring is a time you know you’ve got a bad movie on your hands.

As for ‘Phantom Menace’, even though it seems that Captain Hook has finally outfitted his ship with warp drive, the movie remains Jar Jar free. That, by definition, makes it better than ‘Episode One’.

As for ‘Phantom Menace’, even though it seems that Captain Hook has finally outfitted his ship with warp drive, the movie remains Jar Jar free. That, by definition, makes it better than ‘Episode One’.

Laughed my **** on that one...'course that would make every single movie ever made a better movie than Ep 1. At least until Georgie does Ep3: Revenge of the Jar Jar Ewoks.

Originally posted by Chuck S
Isn't it odd that with a movie coming out that Disneyland closed CBJ. Has anyone heard what is going into that location? Or is there going to be a complete rehab of CBJ at Disneyland for the movie (actually that would probbly make more sence, they could say the bears made the movie while on hiatus from DL) I doubt though, that whoever is in charge at DL could think that far ahead.

It doesn't makes sense to me either but they did it....
I like the idea of a rehab of the CBJ but not going to happen. Rumor has it that it will be Pooh. Why remove a classic attraction for a pooh ride when there are other places that it could have been put?? Next to Casey Jr. where the skyway to tomorrow land used to be sounds good. There is so much unused space behind that area that it would have worked GREAT!!

Guess with changes like this we all have to keep in mind Walt's idea that "As long as there is imagination left in the world, Disneyland will never be complete."

‘The Country Bear Playhouse’ was closed at Disneyland just after Labor Day and the demolition of the interior is already complete. There were even pictures on the Internet of the bear figures on the Santa Ana Freeway as they were hauled away as garbage.

A ‘Winnie the Pooh’ version 3 ride is being installed in the old Country Bear building. Naturally these days, being the third version of something Disney means it's that much less than its predecessors. The rumors are that the show will use the ‘SuperStar Limo’ dark ride system and will be about 30 seconds shorter than WDW’s version - without the bouncing effect, fewer figures and less detail in the show set. The shops nearby are receiving extensive makeovers and are being expanded.

The order to kill the bears came from Burbank. Paul Pressler, before he ran shopping malls and The Disney Stores, handled the licensing for the Care Bears (remember them?). Since Pooh generates a lot of money for Disney (well, until the court makes its ruling), Paul’s answer to the sagging fortunes at the parks is to increase licensed product sales and to treat the theme parks are shopping malls. It’s what he knows.

Originally posted by Another Voice
‘The Country Bear Playhouse’ was closed at Disneyland just after Labor Day and the demolition of the interior is already complete. There were even pictures on the Internet of the bear figures on the Santa Ana Freeway as they were hauled away as garbage.
A ‘Winnie the Pooh’ version 3 ride is being installed in the old Country Bear building.

I didn't see the pictures of the bears put did see the picutres of the "heads" (or what was suppose to be the heads) from the walls (bad me, can't remember the names of them).

I had heard (of course a internet rumor) that we are getting not a version 3 but a copy-cat of the one at WDW.

According to rumor the storyline for the ride at Disneyland will be the same as the WDW version - but the ride vehicles won't "bounce" with Tigger, there will be more cut-out characters in place of the "3D" ones and the backgrounds will probably be plainer. There was one whisper that D/L's 'Pooh' will use more film clips in place of either cut-outs or 3D figures. As one person put it, it will make 'SuperStar Limo' seem almost worthwhile. Another suggested that with all the plywood involved, maybe Home Depot would be interested in a sponsorship.

Budgets are always subject to change, so we'll probably won't know until the last minute what some of the ride will look like.

P.S. All those rumors you're hearing about the fabulous additions to the "classic" attractions for Disneyland's 50th birthday - don't make your reservations to Anaheim yet.

In regard to the Country Bear movie, we just returned from WDW where the Country Bears characters seemed to be everywhere in the parks signing autographs. They were as almost easy to find as Chip and Dale. Obviously, Disney is trying to build character recognition for the Bears before the film release.

The original scripts for both ‘Haunted Mansion’ and ‘Pirates’ have been tossed out so production on both of those films will slow down for a bit while the re-writes are completed.

The new ‘Mansion’ script will be very similar in tone to Mr. Murphy’s ‘Dr. Doolittle’ films – lots of zany antics and hilarious banter between Eddie and the ghosts. And yes, there are rumors already that if the movie is a hit the narration for the attractions will be changed. A cleaver way of slipping another check to Mr. Murphy while hiding the film’s real budget. Also with the film Disneyland will be getting an exit merchandise shop along the lines of the one for WDW.

The script for ‘Pirates’ is being revamped to be a major “lots of explosion” summer movie. Disney is currently shopping the project around for a young up-and-coming “star” along the lines of Josh Harnett from ‘Pearl Harbor’. Or in someone else’s words, “It’s not like they need talent in this movie, all the guy has to do is to tan well and take his shirt off. This is the ‘new’ Disney, remember?”. And just like ‘Pearl Harbor’ there are already fights over the budget.

I had hopes for these films, but they are fading fast. And if the ‘Haunted Mansion’ ride is going to feature a six minute soundtrack of Murphy stichk, I may never go on the ride again.

Modifying the HM narration should not be taken lightly. I try to keep an open mind on these things, but I pretty much agree that the idea of listening to Eddie on HM doesn't excite me.

But the movie itself could be interesting.

Same with Pirates, but then again, I also liked Cutthroat Island...

AV- Is Bruckheimer definitley signed up for Pirates?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter